Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Boat Modifications

dpbremer

This is amazing!  I also have a 2015 22VLX.  If you're bored, want to come do this to mine? :innocent:  Mainly the new sub enclosure and WS420 SQ.  It would be appreciated :p haha.  Again, awesome job, awesome write up as well.

10 hours ago, Suggy said:

This is amazing!  I also have a 2015 22VLX.  If you're bored, want to come do this to mine? :innocent:  Mainly the new sub enclosure and WS420 SQ.  It would be appreciated :p haha.  Again, awesome job, awesome write up as well.

Thanks Suggy!

I enjoyed tinkering on the boat over the winter... first time I have stored it at my place over the winter.

Well if you dig into it and have any questions, just let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

Good Job ! just curious, you have to install flappers of any sort to stop water backwash on the STE?

I was wondering that to DarkKnight!

According to the description on Bakes website "This stainless steel turn down silent tip exhaust port with built in baffle, does not need flappers. Helps eliminate exhaust noise and helps reduce exposure of carbon dioxide to riders." I assume they aren't required since the STE's contain a baffles.

Having looked at Malibu factory installed STE's, I didn't see flappers on them either.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job on the projects and thanks for the links and photos.  Question:

Was it hard to complete the heater install and sub-enclosure build out.  I have a 2016 LSV25 and I am semi-handy.  As always, just a little worried on taking on projects on a new boat.  Also, if you happen to have any more photos on these or your other tasks, please provide a link. 

Thanks.

Daniel

10 hours ago, Setter2016 said:

Great job on the projects and thanks for the links and photos.  Question:

Was it hard to complete the heater install and sub-enclosure build out.  I have a 2016 LSV25 and I am semi-handy.  As always, just a little worried on taking on projects on a new boat.  Also, if you happen to have any more photos on these or your other tasks, please provide a link. 

Thanks.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks!

I know what you mean about modifying a new boat... drilling into the gel coat for the first time, yikes!  :cry:

The heater wasn't bad. Finding a location that worked with the new sub enclosure was a little tricky as there isn't any room to spare. Fishing the heater hoses under the floor wasn't bad either using a fish tape. There were a few awkward positions laying in the lockers getting the plumbing all connected though.

The sub enclosure isn't a difficult project either if you have the proper wood working tools. Coming up with a good plan was the most time consuming part.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have a question, I'm looking at doing the Wet Sound WS-420SQ. In my 2015 vlx, were did you pull the sound for the input? I found the rca that goes from behind the throttle and goes over to the amp panel. Then connects into the a black box. ( I'm sure there is a technical term for that box) My guess is you got the input sound from behind the throttle and then pulled all the factory rca's out.

please help  

Thanks

chris

Edited by ssbeckwith
10 minutes ago, ssbeckwith said:

I have a question I'm looking at doing the Wet Sound WS-420SQ. In my 2015 vlx, were did you pull the sound for the input? I found the rca that goes from behind the throttle and goes over to the amp panel. Then connects into the a black box. ( I'm sure there is a technical term for that box) My guess is that's were you got it from and then pulled all the factory rca's out.

please help  

Thanks

chris

Hi Chris,

The audio was taken from the black box (head unit) front out that is currently going to the amps next to it. You route this audio to the 420 and then the outputs of the 420 to their respective amps. I used 4 pair of 17' patch cables to accomplish this.

The cable you are referring to by the throttle is for the video feed to the 12" screen. 

Just now, dpbremer said:

Hi Chris,

The audio was taken from the black box (head unit) front out that is currently going to the amps next to it. You route this audio to the 420 and then the outputs of the 420 to their respective amps. I used 4 pair of 17' patch cables to accomplish this.

The cable you are referring to by the throttle is for the video feed to the 12" screen. 

Just now, ssbeckwith said:

Thanks I will give this a try. 

1 hour ago, ssbeckwith said:

Was the 17' foot RCA cables to long, could you get a way with shorter cables?

I think about 15' would be sufficient. The cable I choose to use didn't come in 15', so 17' is what I ended up using.  

• 1 month later...

Very Impressive Project list!! My wife would love to add the heater, but the dealer price was a deal breaker. Do you lose any usable storage space in the installation. Under seat storage is at a premium in our 2015 VLX 22. 

I also went with the same Pro Sport battery charger which I installed in the bow side of the under dash storage area, and then cut some of that black plastic/rubber woven matting that water can pass through and fit it to the floor space of that storage area.  It fits without needing adhesive, protects and cushions the exposed fiberglass floor, and gives the area a more finished look. 

Have you noticed an improvement in exhaust noise and odor since installing the STE exhaust tips?  I like the look of those much better than the after market surf pipes that are designed to work with dual exhaust ports and a Power Wedge.  You mentioned they were no longer available on Bake's Marine.  Does Malibu sell them through their dealers?

I didn't loose any storage space installing the heater as its entirely contained under the drivers helm area. I used it last past spring and it was a nice addition.. along with the hot shower to!

Good idea on the woven matting, where did you buy that material? 

I am very satisfied with the STE exhaust tips... IMO they have reduced the exhaust noise significantly at lower speeds and while surfing. Correct, Bake's shows OOS as I believe Malibu now makes them in-house so I believe the dealer is the only place to purchase them now. I would recommend them for sure.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:20 AM, texnky2 said:

Very Impressive Project list!! My wife would love to add the heater, but the dealer price was a deal breaker. Do you lose any usable storage space in the installation. Under seat storage is at a premium in our 2015 VLX 22. 

I also went with the same Pro Sport battery charger which I installed in the bow side of the under dash storage area, and then cut some of that black plastic/rubber woven matting that water can pass through and fit it to the floor space of that storage area.  It fits without needing adhesive, protects and cushions the exposed fiberglass floor, and gives the area a more finished look. 

Have you noticed an improvement in exhaust noise and odor since installing the STE exhaust tips?  I like the look of those much better than the after market surf pipes that are designed to work with dual exhaust ports and a Power Wedge.  You mentioned they were no longer available on Bake's Marine.  Does Malibu sell them through their dealers?

I liked my ste for handling and noise reduction but I was still breathing exhaust when surfing.  I don't like how the fae negatively impacts stearing and the spray sucks.   The spray could be easily avoided by designing the angles different, or by adding a deflector.   Mines one piece through hull so I cant adjust.

• 2 weeks later...

The woven rubber floor mat I ordered came from Great Lakes Skipper. It is approximately 3/8 inch thick and is very tough; much heavier than what Malibu puts in the under seat ski storage . No need to glue it down. I just cut it out to cover all exposed fiberglass and then trimmed around electric cables. Mine has not moved. I think I used a sheet of paper or fabric to trace out the approximate dimensions on to the matting, then cut it out with metal snips. 

The matting comes 48 inches wide and I ordered three linear feet, which easily covered the entire underdash storage area. I used the black color to match the under seat storage lockers; but it may come in other colors. 

https://greatlakesskipper.com

Tracker Marine 146201 Black 48 inch Non Skid Coated Rubber Boat Cushion Mat Flooring (Linear Foot)

Stock # 8100295-5P481, 5P361

QTY 3 feet