Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sagging floors

onamission

Stoped by Skiers Pier to pick boat show tickets and was talking about the new TXI.  They mentioned that the flooring was changed from honeycomb aluminum because of the sagging on the sides of the motor box,  major warranty work,  (someone's boat from Michigan).  I  did notice a little sag in the clubs TXI but didn't to much about it at the time. Its a bad pictures of our factory tour in "05", but the main flooring doesn't look like honeycomb to me.

Anyone have or heard of this problem?

I know thats there was an issue with the honeycomb access panel .  20170215_114549_zpsklnw8omd.jpg

Edited by onamission
11 minutes ago, onamission said:

Just to let everyone know that the hatch is covered under life time warranty. 

Yeper.  I brought that up to the owner who clams to love his boat and how well its taken care of. The boat is the most run down in all of the boats we ski. I would think he could take the hatch to the dealer he bought it from and have it replaced without pulling the boat down.  Never has the tie. :(

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, onamission said:

@ahopkinsTXi  Any issues with by your access panel,  I know its still problem on the 15 TXI's.

Did you ever find out who's TXI was at the show?   

Believe it will be your clubs boat!

And yes, I had my panel replaced two years ago. Knock on wood it is still good.

1 hour ago, Sixball said:

Yeper.  I brought that up to the owner who clams to love his boat and how well its taken care of. The boat is the most run down in all of the boats we ski. I would think he could take the hatch to the dealer he bought it from and have it replaced without pulling the boat down.  Never has the tie. :(

Just need to take the panel in to the dealer so it could be measured, after the second panel that came in the wrong size and wrong carpet, I ended removing the carpet and gave the measurements to Malibu and asked for just the panel and would carpet it myself.  

@ahopkinsTXi:  Can one make the assumption that the TXI at the show will be viewable at the Pier after the show?  It will be nice to look one over at room temperature!

The sagging floor syndrome has also been observed with fiberglass floor boats, also covered by warranty.  A guy on our lake had his repaired several years ago and still all good, got new carpet in the deal.  Yes, the honeycomb floors had some collapsing issues.  I thought (but could be wrong) the aluminum honeycomb floor technique only was used for a few years and they reverted back to fiberglass construction.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Woodski said:

@ahopkinsTXi:  Can one make the assumption that the TXI at the show will be viewable at the Pier after the show?  It will be nice to look one over at room temperature!

The sagging floor syndrome has also been observed with fiberglass floor boats, also covered by warranty.  A guy on our lake had his repaired several years ago and still all good, got new carpet in the deal.  Yes, the honeycomb floors had some collapsing issues.  I thought (but could be wrong) the aluminum honeycomb floor technique only was used for a few years and they reverted back to fiberglass construction.

My guess is yes, but I will confirm for you. 

20 hours ago, reggie said:

What years was this process used, has anyone confirmed?

Thanks

Not sure of the year that they went from a fiberglass  to a composite.  2000 RLX had fiberglass. 2005 RLXI is a composite.

ahopkins22LSV
On 2/16/2017 at 8:20 AM, onamission said:

@ahopkinsTXi  Seen your pic of the TXI at Cobo.   I believe that another clubs boats, unless we changed our color scheme.

You are right. It is one they ordered for inventory. 

• 2 years later...

coyote055,

You notes above that the HDPE doesn’t like the heat.....can you expand on that a little?  I’m reading that the HDPE is rated on the high end for 194•F and somewhere on the MalibuCrew, I’m reading that the exhaust doesn’t get above 150•F because of the cooling water.  Did you experience any melting or plastic burning smells?

Im looking to use 1” HDPE and do as you have, but want to make sure you don’t regret it as of now.

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:07 AM, stemur1 said:

coyote055,

You notes above that the HDPE doesn’t like the heat.....can you expand on that a little?  I’m reading that the HDPE is rated on the high end for 194•F and somewhere on the MalibuCrew, I’m reading that the exhaust doesn’t get above 150•F because of the cooling water.  Did you experience any melting or plastic burning smells?

Im looking to use 1” HDPE and do as you have, but want to make sure you don’t regret it as of now.

@stemur1 @coyote055did you use HDPE?  My Txi has the sagging hatch and was considering HDPE as a solution.

Edited by braindamage
  • 11 months later...
5 minutes ago, Woodski said:

I did not but that should work.  I would use carbon mat on both sides.

I'd like to make a new motor box and swim step out of lightweight materials. Those things weigh a ton. 

9 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'd like to make a new motor box and swim step out of lightweight materials. Those things weigh a ton. 

Wait!  Didn't one of the denizens here make a carbon fiber motor box??