Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Altitude Wakesurf Monster Prop!!

alpensurf23

1 hour ago, alpensurf23 said:

:rofl: only you Shawndoggy...

for your viewing pleasure!  

10.8 mph with full hard tanks and 1200 of rear sumo's and 5 guys.  (1k feet elevation at lake shasta).

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Talking about a fall trip to Shasta, bringing boats, Im gonna need to prop down!!!! Less aggressive... 1000feet... My ears are gonna pop!!!

Shasta is awesome in September, no crowds, good water all day.  we do a guys trip every year there in September and I look forward to the next one the minute i get home.

• 11 months later...

Hey guys,  I'm new to the site.  I'm rocking a 2419 right now at low altitude.  I've got the 350 and I can only get to about 9.5 mph while surfing.  Running full stock ballast and 2-750 sacks in the rear lockers with the wedge up about 3 clicks with 8ish people. I'm thinking about going with the 2943.... thoughts? We don't do a lot of cruising,  but I don't know if I'd  be better off with a bow sack or this prop. Probably will work out to the same money. 

Edited by SwaggaDraggonCaptain

agree, more bow weight.  i have a 350 with the 2419 and at low altitude i have no problem with full weight, but if there are too many people in the back, i'll have one or two go to the bow and it does the trick.  do you have hard bow tank?

I have 350 with 2419, stock ballast plus custom wakemakers (1000ish each) and 1000lb bow sack.  No issues surfing or wakeboarding with wedge in any position. I’m at low altitude though and probably close to the limit on this combo

Edited by t a
  • 1 month later...

I have a 23 LSV, 2008 with the 340hp Monsoon Engine.  I am currently running the OJ 466 prop (14.25 x 14  1 1/8).  We mostly surf, with full factory ballast including bow tank, 1000+ lbs in each corner, and another 350 lbs on the front seat.  Have the GSA Surf system installed and usually run at Lake Nacimiento which is like under 1000ft elevation.  We go to Tahoe every year and surfing with more than three people in the boat is difficult to both plane out and get to speed at that elevation.  I am looking for a prop specifically for the Tahoe trip.  I will switch back to my current prop when we return as it seems to work well around here, although I wouldn't mind leaving it on but top speed of 32 wouldn't be ideal.  I am not too worried about top speed in Tahoe as it is rarely smooth enough to go more than 30mph.

From what I have read it looks like a 15" prop will fit fine.  From reading this thread it sounds like the 2951 or 2949 is the best bet?  

EDIT - I just saw a chart saying I need the 2419 (15 x 12, .075 cup).  Maybe because of my engine and gearing?  Any thoughts if this will be a noticeable improvement over the OJ 466?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by djheywood
10 hours ago, djheywood said:

I have a 23 LSV, 2008 with the 340hp Monsoon Engine.  I am currently running the OJ 466 prop (14.25 x 14  1 1/8).  We mostly surf, with full factory ballast including bow tank, 1000+ lbs in each corner, and another 350 lbs on the front seat.  Have the GSA Surf system installed and usually run at Lake Nacimiento which is like under 1000ft elevation.  We go to Tahoe every year and surfing with more than three people in the boat is difficult to both plane out and get to speed at that elevation.  I am looking for a prop specifically for the Tahoe trip.  I will switch back to my current prop when we return as it seems to work well around here, although I wouldn't mind leaving it on but top speed of 32 wouldn't be ideal.  I am not too worried about top speed in Tahoe as it is rarely smooth enough to go more than 30mph.

From what I have read it looks like a 15" prop will fit fine.  From reading this thread it sounds like the 2951 or 2949 is the best bet?  

EDIT - I just saw a chart saying I need the 2419 (15 x 12, .075 cup).  Maybe because of my engine and gearing?  Any thoughts if this will be a noticeable improvement over the OJ 466?

Thanks in advance.

The 2951 for sure.  The 2949 may work well for you but wasn't enough for me at a mile high.  Note;  I run 5500-5700 pounds so you may be fine if you're running less ballast.  

10 hours ago, djheywood said:

Thanks in advance.

Call Acme Props and talk to Jim. He was really good to deal with. He recommended the 2937 for my setup. 

Thanks for the advice.  I see people talk about gear reductions.  Anyone know how that plays into these props or can I use any with the 340 Monsoon motor?

17 hours ago, djheywood said:

Thanks for the advice.  I see people talk about gear reductions.  Anyone know how that plays into these props or can I use any with the 340 Monsoon motor?

I don’t believe it matters for you.  The newer boats are using different gearing but even so I know people with with new boats with the 1.76 gearing and bigger motor using the same props were recommending.  The 2937 is a good prop Nut the 2951 is more aggressive and oddly dropped my rpm’s a couple hundred.  Should have went the other way.  Either prop will work well at Tahoe 

Edited by racer808