Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

High Altitude Wakesurf Monster Prop!!

alpensurf23

Hello to all high altitude 23LSV LS3 owners. I'd like to report on a Prop that I have found amazing performance out of given my set up and wake surf location. Acme 2943  15 x 10.5  0.075cup 

I know some of you might question the aggression but I'm here to say that after surfing a bunch of props ,different sizes, manufacturers recommended  here as well as exploring custom configurations. I've found this Monster that my friends and fellow boat owners refer to as also a game changer with my boat configuration/set up. I own a 2015 23 LSV ,run Wakemakers custom LSV set up 825s I believe(no more room back there) and an LS3 motor. My altitudes surfed are 5600 and above. The goofy wave is instantaneous and clean. The regular wave is the same. I typically have had to mess around with extra bow weight even with three peeps on board. I run only stock bow weight now. Another kicker is that fully ballasted using the power wedge in lift mode with 6 adults she jumps out of water and can hit the limit speed. This also translates to when power wedge configured to surf you will reach a higher speed than previous Prop and translates to longer Wake. Top speed of boat with three  on board no wedge no ballast 32mph. Fuel consumption surfing 7hrs no breaks 3/4 of a tank at most. The motor comes alive as I thought it should from factory not taking into account Altitude. If your trying out props and over 5500 feet with out gear reduction. This has been a game changer for my boat from Acme Prop Company. 

That is correct from sea level. What are you referring too? Not significant amount of power loss? Trust me with the weights we push and wakes we desire to have every percent of horsepower matters. I thought I needed a 550 supercharged till this Prop. I've missed this site and you peoples, happens epic powder years. :rockon:

I started with the 2937 15x11 .075 (pusing 5400 pounds) that I mangeled & by accident Jays Props sent me the 2951 15x10.5 ..105 cupping which worked even better AND dropped my RPM's 200-300 lower.  What I find odd with this prop is the higher I go in elevation, the more the RPM's drop when they should be going up.  I have acme scratching their head on the why but all they can think of is the cupping having something to do with it.  

Edited by racer808
  • Like 1

Thanks racer, I feel like we are on to something for high altitude surfers. I wish I could recall my exact rpms and settings but I forgot to write them down end of fall. I procrastinated on winter property prep  after squeezing every bit of lake time. Let's keep this thread alive because I'm very interested in sharing info on the topic. What engine are you running? Have you had anything needed to be tightened in relation to the aggressive of torque in these props?

1 hour ago, alpensurf23 said:

Thanks racer, I feel like we are on to something for high altitude surfers. I wish I could recall my exact rpms and settings but I forgot to write them down end of fall. I procrastinated on winter property prep  after squeezing every bit of lake time. Let's keep this thread alive because I'm very interested in sharing info on the topic. What engine are you running? Have you had anything needed to be tightened in relation to the aggressive of torque in these props?

I have the 6.0L indmar.  Haven't noticed any thing torque related but I have an MB, every damn bolt on that boat vibrates out.  Loctite & I have gotten close on this vessel.  You are the first person I've come across running such an aggressive prop, most roll their eyes as to why I would need that.  I am surfing 11.2mph & 4,000' I run 3600-3700 rpm, go to 5,100' & it drops to 3400-3500rpm.  My top speed is about somewhere between 27 & 30mph depending on conditions at 5,000rpm, I don't push it past that.  I would almost rather this thread disappear, the surf craze is ruining our lakes!  Luckily I am on a private lake but if we don't get some serious moisture soon that may be a bust this year.  

Ruining from a traffic ,erosion, or wakeboard &water ski stand point? I have heard all those stand points and understand them. I truly believe more folks should be more "Wake Aware" and use some etiquette as to lesson impact on others enjoyment and property on lake front. Wakesurfings issues are being felt and the sport threatened on many body's of water. I stress "Wake awareness" to all that drive my boat and that I help when driving theirs. I must say in Louisiana  you can be held liable for your Wake. My fear is that with out education/awareness we maybe headed in that direction.

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Ruining from a traffic ,erosion, or wakeboard &water ski stand point? I have heard all those stand points and understand them. I truly believe more folks should be more "Wake Aware" and use some etiquette as to lesson impact on others enjoyment and property on lake front. Wakesurfings issues are being felt and the sport threatened on many body's of water. I stress "Wake awareness" to all that drive my boat and that I help when driving theirs. I must say in Louisiana  you can be held liable for your Wake. My fear is that with out education/awareness we maybe headed in that direction.

No, our public lakes are stupid crowded.  If you don't get on the water by 10am the latest, it is one on one off till 5-6pm.  If we go out on a Saturday, it is very early morning session & either then head to coves to hang out for the rest of the day or we just get off before noon & go home.  Private lake has been great, every body out there is very mindful of each others play water except there is always one bozo with I/O from another club that doesn't get it.  Frankly I wish they would make boater safety mandatory out here.  WAY too many idiots on the water or friends using each others jet skis with no clue how to be safe or stay away from boats.  Just about everyone of my run ins has been with Jet Skiers.  Except ONCE, this guy rolled up & asked me if I ballast out for 20 bucks & let him jump my wake with no rider back there, so I let him have at it.  Hopefully we find a place we want to move to so I can get a home on the lake & a mellower place, Denver is just too over crowded for me with the influx of a million people over the last 3 years 

so i have a 2015 23 LSV and am running the stock Acme 1235 prop.  With full hard tanks, plus 1200lbs fat sacs and 5 people, it works fine at lower elevations.  But at 5k+ feet it can't get to surf or wake speed so i'll run the fat sacs half empty.  The 2943 seems too aggressive, was thinking of getting one of 2419, 2315, 2313 or 2773.  Anyone have any additional thoughts for a good high altitude prop?

17 minutes ago, wilster said:

so i have a 2015 23 LSV and am running the stock Acme 1235 prop.  With full hard tanks, plus 1200lbs fat sacs and 5 people, it works fine at lower elevations.  But at 5k+ feet it can't get to surf or wake speed so i'll run the fat sacs half empty.  The 2943 seems too aggressive, was thinking of getting one of 2419, 2315, 2313 or 2773.  Anyone have any additional thoughts for a good high altitude prop?

I'm running the same boat with less ballast and have run most your suggested props. What motor do you have???

24 minutes ago, wilster said:

Where are you located & how much ballast?  The 2315 is a good prop, but it wasn't enough prop for me up here in CO with 5400 pounds.  Can't say between the 2419 or 2315, I think the cupping is the only difference?  How often do you ride at those higher elevations?

1 minute ago, wilster said:

sorry, the 350hp motor.

Yeah you're gonna need the more aggressive prop with the 350, I think you may need the 2949.  But if you ride at lower elevations more often than not it may not be the right prop

I am running the LS3 motor. I believe the 2015 23LSV when equipped with 350 doesn't have the gear reduction that was available with the Axis. I know that the 2419 or other 15x12 with an assortment of different cups are the norm at altitudes of over 5000'. I've run those and others. I have had great success talking with the guys at Acme and through them and dealer been able to pay and then demo props til finding what works. I've got to figure how to post pictures, what I have found works great for my boat, my motor, and me.. I will ask a couple other 350 owners but I think they have gear reduction..

3 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Yeah you're gonna need the more aggressive prop with the 350, I think you may need the 2949.  But if you ride at lower elevations more often than not it may not be the right prop

i'm up at 5k feet in the sierras for a week every year, and this year i'm doing another week at powell.  the rest of the time, we're usually at below 2k feet.  i'm up for swapping props every so often, but if i can find a goldilocks that does just enough at high altitude and is good at low el's, then all the better ;-) 

13 minutes ago, wilster said:

i'm up at 5k feet in the sierras for a week every year, and this year i'm doing another week at powell.  the rest of the time, we're usually at below 2k feet.  i'm up for swapping props every so often, but if i can find a goldilocks that does just enough at high altitude and is good at low el's, then all the better ;-) 

2315... will be just OK at 5K (almanor?), and lots better at 3600 (powell), and a monster down low.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

2315... will be just OK at 5K (almanor?), and lots better at 3600 (powell), and a monster down low.

Thanks!  That's the one i'm leaning toward.  It's actually at small lake called Bear River Reservoir, and if it is 10-20% better than the 1235 at that altitude (and i suspect it would be) then i'm good with that.  i figure any 15" prop with even slightly less pitch is going to be a good improvement compared to the 1235 (14.5"). 

20 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I was leaning towards that prop, I'm just south of you in Gardnerville.  What prop do you use?  I spend only a few days on Tahoe, but mostly around the 4k altitude (Topaz and Union Valley Res).  I have the 1235, but need something a little more for the weight I'm using.   

depends how much weight you are pushing and how much you care about cruising speed.

For tahoe, I'd think 2419 (same as 2315 but with more aggressive cup), and for down lower I'd consider going even more aggressive.  Topaz and Union Valley are both small so you don't really need to worry about cruising speed.  In that case a more aggressive prop would let you push all the weight you'd ever want.  At tahoe a more aggressive prop would be great for pushing weight, but you do have some big open cruises there and it could get annoying to have a 24 mph cruising speed, I think.

But in the big scheme of things the 2419 would feel like a huge upgrade in all departments (other than top speed -- you'll probably lose 5-6 mph of top end)

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, alpensurf23 said:

That is correct from sea level. What are you referring too? Not significant amount of power loss? Trust me with the weights we push and wakes we desire to have every percent of horsepower matters. I thought I needed a 550 supercharged till this Prop. I've missed this site and you peoples, happens epic powder years. :rockon:

Yep, at 5500' you lose ~16.5%.   That translates to a 400hp engine dropping to about 334hp.

I have a '15 lsv w/ ls3 and run 4k in ballast and wedge 2 to 3 clicks from bottom.  The 2419 is what I am running for elevation.  We normally boat at 3000' and run 11mph rpms are 3300ish.  Top speed is 36 IIRC.  I could add another 1000lbs and still have no problems.  Our cabin is at 5000' and this is where the 2419 earns its keep.  Same ballast and speed config but rpms jump to 3700ish.  Top speed is 32 IIRC.  I also don't have much throttle left but she gets the job done.  

On 2/21/2017 at 0:11 PM, wilster said:

@wilster I know it won't help surfing but have you tried using the lift mode when wakeboarding?  It should get you on plane easily and then you can drop it back to being a drag.

On 2/21/2017 at 1:11 PM, shawndoggy said:

:whistle: Acme 2943 at 5600' 

IMG_5005.jpg2

Edited by alpensurf23
7 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

:whistle: Acme 2943 at 5600' 

IMG_5005.jpg2

Nice, I have the 2951 which is just different cupping than the 2943.  What engine, what speed, what RPM's are you at?

5 hours ago, racer808 said:

Nice, I have the 2951 which is just different cupping than the 2943.  What engine, what speed, what RPM's are you at?

LS3, 10.6 mph, do not recall rpms other than were not concerning. I cannot emphasize the quickness of formation on both sides, the lack of adjustment on regular, and the performance with boat loaded and lift mode. I will take better notes for sure and better pictures for Shawndoggy ( he likes pictures a lot). If you have the ability to try some Acme props, through Acme or Dealer and are close or over 6000. Try this one out.

Edited by alpensurf23