Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bungee tube rope

RevWil

Anybody. Use a bungee tow rope for tubing? I have never used one and want to know the pros and cons. 

I have a 3 person Sportsstuff Half Pipe and 2 one person tubes. We like to extreme tube and go wake to wake even with the three person tube. If it would add to the fin I'd be interested in going down the path of a bunge rope. 

Edited by RevWil

Not even sure if they are legal...but if they aren't, they should be.  "Extreme tubing' is dangerous enough, but throw a bungee rope into the mix and you are, in my opinion, asking for trouble.  If you do find one and go that route, please make sure you have plenty of liability coverage....and make sure you post some videos.

Couple things.

Best tubing boat is a 19 to 21 I/O, not an inboard.

If you drive right with a 75 to 100 foot regular rope you can keep anyone close to the edge, or toss them. No need for bungee.  It's all about throttle, trim, and steering.

Bungee might be dangerous as it would remove one element of control.

37 minutes ago, RTS said:

Not even sure if they are legal...but if they aren't, they should be.  "Extreme tubing' is dangerous enough, but throw a bungee rope into the mix and you are, in my opinion, asking for trouble.  If you do find one and go that route, please make sure you have plenty of liability coverage....and make sure you post some videos.

B4914295-FCB5-4313-AEEA-8224702B9AE6_zps

• Like 3

Just did a quick google search on the airhead model and the reviews were all quite positive. They all basically said it took the slack out on turns and made a smother ride for the riders, eliminating the factor for whip lash. 

Personally I think the answer is just don't go tubing but that's just me. 

^^^^this. I think a tube rope is designed to stretch. As for callin it a bungee rope, I would think that is a different rope all together. My tube rope (disclaimer: which I keep in a box up in my garage and only use for wake the world) is made of nylon and has quite a bit of stretch. A nylon ski rope has quite a bit of flex too. Wonder if bungee is the right descriptive word here?

We have used one. It just cushions the "jerking" pull of the rope making the ride better. It is more of a "shock absorber" rather that a "bungee". I think its easier on the tube, the boat and the person riding the tube.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

We have used one. It just cushions the "jerking" pull of the rope making the ride better. It is more of a "shock absorber" rather that a "bungee". I think its easier on the tube, the boat and the person riding the tube.

Thanks! Lots of opinions from people who haven't used so I appreciate hearing something from a user. That use doesn't justify a new rope. The wife and I both are pretty good at getting too much slack and for the few times we do... we just cut the throttle. The mirror is the riders' best friend when tubing!