Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Display -- Issues with moisture

My new-to-me 2006 LSV last year performed flawlessly save for one option: the perfect pass display.  It would power up and beep when appropriate, but the display occasionally showed signs of moisture/fog inside of it and when this happened it would need a few hours to dry out in the sun before it was functional.  I'm thinking of taking the unit apart in the offseason and trying to seal and/or moisture-proof it.  Has anyone done this?  Any recommendations on products or techniques?

Don't take this for Gospel and I'm not going to do a search for it but...Seems like back around that time, guys were taking out the gauge and drilling a small (maybe 1/16") hole in the gauge at the back at the bottom to let the air inside equalize with the air outside. You might try to run a search from back then to see if it comes up.

We have a foggy display in our PerfectPass screen from time-to-time.  Disappointing reply from Perfect Pass below.

Email:

I had a local dealer in Michigan install PP 3-Event in my ‘94 ProStar this spring and the display is occasionally foggy.  See attached.  Can I swap this out or is there a way to fix it?

Reply:

Hi,

A new one would do the same thing.  It just needs completely dried out.  The biggest thing is to keep the carpets dry when the boat is being covered.

Aaron 
PerfectPass Control Systems

Just now, River Monsters said:

We have a foggy display in our PerfectPass screen from time-to-time.  Disappointing reply from Perfect Pass below.

Email:

I had a local dealer in Michigan install PP 3-Event in my ‘94 ProStar this spring and the display is occasionally foggy.  See attached.  Can I swap this out or is there a way to fix it?

Reply:

Hi,

A new one would do the same thing.  It just needs completely dried out.  The biggest thing is to keep the carpets dry when the boat is being covered.

Aaron 
PerfectPass Control Systems

Doesn't the same thing happen to the rest of your gauges if you cover a wet boat?  I know that mine fog if I do that.

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Doesn't the same thing happen to the rest of your gauges if you cover a wet boat?  I know that mine fog if I do that.

Boat is never covered in the summer, it is under a canopy.   Other gauges?  No

Edited by River Monsters

I had some moisture problems last year with the factory cover -- I ordered a Bakes and will be using that this year.  It should help it breathe better and keep the rain out, but it's not practical at all for me to get the boat completely dry before it's covered up.  

Moisture fogging of the PP display is not uncommon.  The display and actually the module also really do not have the typical (automotive) waterproofing steps used (sealed electronics / weatherpack connectors, etc.).  I have seen a few displays fogged and eventually followed by failure requiring a replacement gauge.  I don't recall the specific site, but I did see a thread on spraying the internals with a waterproofing sealant specifically designed for circuit boards.  If you happen to stumble upon an old Accuski unit, it is designed and built to automotive standards with all the waterproofing elements built in, basically it looks like a sealed unit.  I have not seen a ZO unit removed from a boat for comparison.