Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blue Seas Add a Battery

Roush611

I will be adding the blue seas add a battery kit to my 01 Wakesetter soon.  My plan is to keep all the accessories (lights, bilge etc) on the starting battery. The house battery will strictly be for stereo stuff.  I know I will need to add a negative bus bar, but will I have to add a positive bus bar too?  My brain does not speak wiring very well.  Does anyone have a diagram on how they wired theirs?  I have googled and the diagrams are all over the place.

15 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

I have googled and the diagrams are all over the place.

Thats because boats are all over the place. There is one ideal way to wire it. I would suggest you get the assistance of your blue sea retailer in coming up with the proper wiring scheme based on your boat. Wanting to have loads such as lights and bilge, etc on the cranking bank, differs from conventional thinking, so you can see why other's diagrams are all over the place. 

18 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

I know I will need to add a negative bus bar,

Maybe, depends on how many grounds are already terminates to the batterie's and how many you will be adding with any additional wiring you will be doing. In a basic sense, the blue sea add-a-batt only requires one additional ground. Same for the a positive BUS. You will actually be relocating some off the battery and adding some back. How many more will be added due to additional wiring. Then you have to figure out if you need it on the battery side or the boat side of the switch. 

• Like 2

So the kit contains a dual circuit switch that will serve to split the positives. You can stack up to three max heavy duty lugs on one switch post. Do not mix high and low gauge terminations on a single post. So the only positive bar that might be needed is if you have multiple amplifiers.

Btw, bus bars are normally referring to smaller current applications while distribution blocks carry higher current. For applications near the battery, stay with bus bars that feature no less than 5/16" posts. Better to go the route of the heavier distribution block. Typically bus bars are used down the line once you've converted to lower current draws.