Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gator Step

OnTheWater

I'm going to be adding Gator Step to my 24MXZ this spring and was wondering if the prices on the Gator Step webpage are firm across the board or if anyone has found better deals out there.  On their webpage, they don't have a '14 24MXZ kit listed, but they do have a 22MXZ and a '14 A24 listed, so it looks like a full kit (see pic) will run somewhere between $1,800 and $2,000 before install.  I don't know if I would go with the front deck(purple) or the rear deck(red) pieces - those seem like overkill to me.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

453204950.jpg

I personally would do all of the pieces if your changing floor etc.  Not doing the swim platform would look odd, with the rest of the boat done differently.  

I would definitely add the bow pieces, as we used that area for ingress/egress at the dock all the time.  

I can't confirm (yet).  However I have heard the gatorstep is slightly cooler than the material Malibu uses on the platform.  To me this is an added bonus.

Red like swim platform or like the gunwales?  The gunwales would be the first place Id put gatorstep.  Kills that slippery surface where its just gel for getting on and jumping off the boat.  I also like the idea of being able to set stuff on the edge of the boat and kinda slide it on which will eventually chew up your gel if you dont protect it. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick replies! I should have been more clear - I'd definitely do the swim platform, bow(where we board 90%), and all of the floor, but was wondering if the gunwales would be too excessive, but @05hammerhead brings up a good point on being able to set stuff on the edge while loading/unloading.

Any thoughts on the price - seem reasonable?

Just now, OnTheWater said:

Thanks for the quick replies! I should have been more clear - I'd definitely do the swim platform, bow(where we board 90%), and all of the floor, but was wondering if the gunwales would be too excessive, but @05hammerhead brings up a good point on being able to set stuff on the edge while loading/unloading.

Any thoughts on the price - seem reasonable?

I have a 22 VLX on order, I was planning on putting ONLY the bow and gunwales - to protect the gel for ingress/egress, and to have a non slip surface there.   My wife has bad knees, and I really dont want her to fall - that would wreck my whole season!

The one pieces that dont make sense to me are the ones right in front of the windshield (Still want the one at the point of the bow).   Seems like they would be hotter than white gel, and no-one should be stepping there right?

Whenever the carpet is no longer in shape (hopefully a long time from now), I would plan on doing the floor as well as the swim step.

• Like 2

Considering that it's cut to fit, and the prices of other materials like Seadek & Hydroturf, it seems pretty fair. Give me a call at the marina & maybe I can call TJ to see what he can do for you. If your already dealing direct with him, you may be getting the best price.

I don't board thru the bow so having it all around the bow area seems like a waste. I have it installed on the gunwales behind the tower, and the swimstep where I have people boarding the boat.

@Bill_AirJunky - thanks!  I spoke with Matt in parts last week and his quote seemed in line with what is on the GS website.  

Which department do you work in?  We've moored our boats at the Boardwalk for the past 7 years, so we use the bow quite a bit.

Thanks for the reply!

Decided I am going to go with the entire kit, have  'Malibu' on the swim platform, and go with design/pattern from the 1st image(no logo) below and color from 2nd image.

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

Edited by OnTheWater

@OnTheWater:  You might search and look at the new TXI, the CC200 and the new Prostar for examples to adding a non slip material on the gunwales.  Pretty common practice on the newer boats.  Sea Dek is the typical supplier but basically the same stuff, different supplier.  Slipping off the gunwale usually ends painfully!  Good choice on your part IMO.

I think that is a solid price @$1800.. If you spoke with TJ you probably got a good quote.

Gator Step guys are pretty cool to deal with and great customer service.

On February 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM, 67King said:

The gunwales and the bow are the only areas I use it.  And I love the stuff.  Got it so no one would slip climbing in.

This is what I'm ordering as well. 

Inwill eventually do the floor, but for now, my snap in is fine, and my swim deck is still in great shape.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what brand Malibu uses in their stock flooring? I wanted to get some pieces for the rear gunwales, but I want it to match. 

3 hours ago, LS1boarder said:

Does anybody know what brand Malibu uses in their stock flooring? I wanted to get some pieces for the rear gunwales, but I want it to match. 

Sea Deck is what is what malibu uses from the factory at this point.  I ordered Gatorstep, as they have the same color as the stock Malibu color, and were much easier to work with them SeaDeck.  I was also told that Gatorstep will be taking over the Malibu contract from SeaDeck.  

Thanks! Now I have to decide if I should do Grey to match the floor or black to match the gel coat. I think I'm leaning towards Black. 

Just now, LS1boarder said:

Thanks! Now I have to decide if I should do Grey to match the floor or black to match the gel coat. I think I'm leaning towards Black. 

Black looks really cool, I just don't know how it would do with heat.  If you have black gel already, then it would probably be a little cooler.  

4 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Black looks really cool, I just don't know how it would do with heat.  If you have black gel already, then it would probably be a little cooler.  

Yeah I just ordered the black top color and shark fin bottom which is the opposite of what my floor is. Should be pretty sweet looking!

13 minutes ago, LS1boarder said:

Yeah I just ordered the black top color and shark fin bottom which is the opposite of what my floor is. Should be pretty sweet looking!

That's going to look great!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

@OnTheWater Did GatorStep indicate if they had patterns for your boat already?  I have a '13 24MXZ and I was thinking about doing some GatorStep.  I talked to them last year and was told they did not have digital patterns for our boats, and I was not motivated enough at the time to create the patterns myself.  Mainly I wanted to do the tops of the gunwales and top of the bow on my boat like @Wakesetter67 showed in his pictures.  My topside is all black also and my factory non-skid rubber grip-tape stuff is starting to peel up a little.   

@APoko - I ran into the same thing(GatorStep not having a template) and the boat was in storage, so I passed on it and decided to keep the carpet.  However, I did order SeaDek for my bow area, which will match the spot in between the stern seats above the swim deck.  SeaDek sent me a template, so I just ordered the pieces I wanted.  Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.  I should receive it in about 3 weeks and will post pics afterwards, if you haven't already ordered it.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:32 PM, OnTheWater said:

@APoko - I ran into the same thing(GatorStep not having a template) and the boat was in storage, so I passed on it and decided to keep the carpet.  However, I did order SeaDek for my bow area, which will match the spot in between the stern seats above the swim deck.  SeaDek sent me a template, so I just ordered the pieces I wanted.  Shoot me a PM with your email address and I can forward it to you.  I should receive it in about 3 weeks and will post pics afterwards, if you haven't already ordered it.

Thanks, 

I just sent you a PM... please forward me any/all info your got from them specific to our boats. 

On April 9, 2017 at 10:18 PM, LS1boarder said:

Any updated pics of the black on sharksfin? I was going to order the opposite, but would like to see that. Sounds sweet.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:32 PM, OnTheWater said:

Well I decided to order up some template material and send my own designs to GatorStep for the 24MXZ.   Right now I'm Planning to do the tops of the Gunwales and the Bow, maybe a few other strategic interior pieces.  I figured this was probably the smartest way to go since I have added Phender Pro hardware on the top of the Gunwales and this way I can fine tune the gator step fit and also included cut-outs for the location of my Phender Pro sockets. 

Has anyone gone through the exercise of making your own templates and having the GatorStep made to spec?  How was your experience with the process?

3 hours ago, APoko said:

Has anyone gone through the exercise of making your own templates and having the GatorStep made to spec?  How was your experience with the process?

They already had a template for mine so I didn't have to go through the whole process. I added a transom piece for board protection just via measurements. A couple of days emailing TJ back and forth, they emailed a proof and a few weeks later the kit showed up. Super happy with how it turned out, although it's not cheap.

uc?export=view&id=0B0WmucdWpDxvWGJ3b2gtc

Edited by WakeSS