Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Plus or Diamond Hull

LS1boarder

Hey guys! So, I'm narrowing in on some 23 LSVs that I'm going to pick up. I found one that is really sweet, and is a pretty good deal (or so I think). I just noticed that it has the diamond hull. I really wanted the wake plus hull, but I am not sure it will really matter to me. I'm an average wakeboarder and will get into surfing when I get the boat. I'll use it for cruising a lot and some tubing as well, but probably not ever use it for skiing. Should I look for a wake plus hull boat? Or do you think the diamond will do what I need? There doesn't seem to be much info on Malibu's site to help with this decision. Thanks again for all the input!! 

We have a 2016 23 LSV with the Diamond Hull.  Our family ranges from small kids who do a little skiing and tubing to adults who are average wakeboarders and surfers.  We have been completely happy with the hull and would recommend not letting the hull be the deciding factor on whether or not to buy a particular boat.

Awesome, thanks guys! I just don't want to be disappointed in the size of the wake as my skill improves. It doesn't sound like that will be a problem. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, yohee31 said:

We have a 2016 23 LSV with the Diamond Hull.  Our family ranges from small kids who do a little skiing and tubing to adults who are average wakeboarders and surfers.  We have been completely happy with the hull and would recommend not letting the hull be the deciding factor on whether or not to buy a particular boat.

Hey, you're just a few minutes south of me.

Steve B.

I just ordered my 5th Malibu. I ordered the diamond hull. My last boat a 2016 22 VLX has the wake hull. Seems like every potential buyer I talk with wants the diamond hull. I went with the wake hull figuring better resale. Seems like I figured wrong! The VLX is listed in the classifieds!

@Sailvi767Interesting, seems like everything here in Colorado is coming in as Wake Hulls.   I wanted Diamond as I still want to ski for a while, and thought I was giving on resale vs a Wake Plus.   Wonder if it is more geographic (or maybe dealer specific).     I think my 22 VLX is the only Diamond that my dealer has ordered.     I looked at some 2016 diamonds in the midwest... seemed much more common there.

13 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I was in the same predicament when I bought my boat. I wanted a wake hull but ended up with a diamond. I have absolutely no regrets. 

Same here. Found a boat I loved, was the color I wanted, had bigger engine, but had a diamond hull, and I thought I wanted the wake hull. We rarely wakeboard, but surf a lot. From everything I read, the wakeboard wake is hardly noticeable, and the surf wake is the same.

I am 100% satisfied with my 13' lsv with a diamond hull.

13 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Hey, you're just a few minutes south of me.

Steve B.

Ha! I saw that!  What lake do you normally visit?  We can be found on either Salt Fork, Portage or Berlin...

Hopefully not de-railing this thread :)  I almost alway's go to Springfield Lake. Portage for party cruise, and Berlin for longer outings.

Let me know if you want to go for a ride at Springfield ! We can get good water after work. Sometimes even weekends too.

Steve B.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 77Smurf said:

What style hull is this? Diamond or wake? 03 Wakesetter00N0N_gHYxe57kCg9_1200x900.jpg

I cannot really tell since the pic is further away than I can see exactly, but look at these pics in the resources section to see what you think:

If it is a 23' LSV, most likely diamond per the resources:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/malibu_specs.html/&advanced_search_submitted=1&csrfKey=575965fe1961e3cf071756940633f5e9&content_field_96[1]=2003&&&&&sortby=primary_id_field&sortdirection=desc&record_type=all&time_frame=show_all

I have a 2010 LSV with the Diamond hull.  I do still ski a bit and find the wake is a bit softer than the wake hull.

I also am in a water sports club and pull a lot of different wake boarders and wake surfers.  Abilities from beginner to VERY advanced.  The VERY advanced love the wake and have no problem catching air and have said it is one of the best wakes they have been behind.  The surf wake is good and everyone that tries it has been able to go without the rope. 

I would look for a boat that is in the best shape and seems to be well cared for and not worry about diamond vs. wake hull.

It has been a great boat.  I have about 550 hours on mine.

Kris