Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Making a wakesurf board?

Shastasurf

Anyone try and shape and glass their own wakesurf board?  I'm just starting a diy with rigid insulation.   I've seen these foam blanks.

https://greenlightsurfsupply.com/products/47-eps-wakesurf-board-blank?variant=31494912908

If my garage stringerless insulation board is atleast surfable I will attempt to shape a professional blank. 

I figure that someone has to have attempted this and may have some useful feedback?

I have the rigid insulation from building my ramp stamp which after a summer of abuse is still strong enough to stand on.   I could use a stringer to increase strength but I'm going stringerless and may wrap the rails with carbon fiber, I've seen this on a surfboard.   I don't believe the foam is what creates the strength. 

Hey guys, I am one of those guys who took on this project.   My first one is to the glassing point now.  I have yet to glass because I been lazy at ordering it, plus im thinking with the foam I have Ill make three more then glass all at once.  That way I do not waste any resin.  I have enjoyed it, I have learned first board, free handing it all is terrible idea.  I just grabbed everything to make my second board, at least the template so its perfect.  I will say this, be very very careful at choosing paint, sanding, and me personally never used a planer but I did on this.  Make sure you know it will not be perfect do not stress it all has to be perfect.  Sometimes the imperfections make it yours.  I have no idea how to upload pics on here besides the URL way so I don't know how to send my pics so far on here.

It has been very fun and stress relieving for myself.

1 minute ago, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

Hey guys, I am one of those guys who took on this project.   My first one is to the glassing point now.  I have yet to glass because I been lazy at ordering it, plus im thinking with the foam I have Ill make three more then glass all at once.  That way I do not waste any resin.  I have enjoyed it, I have learned first board, free handing it all is terrible idea.  I just grabbed everything to make my second board, at least the template so its perfect.  I will say this, be very very careful at choosing paint, sanding, and me personally never used a planer but I did on this.  Make sure you know it will not be perfect do not stress it all has to be perfect.  Sometimes the imperfections make it yours.  I have no idea how to upload pics on here besides the URL way so I don't know how to send my pics so far on here.

It has been very fun and stress relieving for myself.

If you use a photo hosting site like Photobucket, you can paste the IMG link (from desktop) or Direct link (from mobile) to upload pics. Or site supporters can upload smaller res pics directly.

Where did you get your blank(s) from?

Just now, NWBU said:

If you use a photo hosting site like Photobucket, you can paste the IMG link (from desktop) or Direct link (from mobile) to upload pics. Or site supporters can upload smaller res pics directly.

Where did you get your blank(s) from?

Every time I do URL it never works. or the link.  I know on wakeworld I can do attachments here you cant.   I actually grabbed them from greenlight, 3 months after telling myself no, no, no working with a guy I think his name was Bryan there, and getting a lot of advice and tips and hearing stories from the founder and owner of DAY1 wake, now 1of1 customs, I wanted to know what it was like to get the same joy he does for this sport.  I do not regret doing this, well I regret that I was so eager I didn't build the best shaping saw horses.  THAT IS HUGE take your time, make it sturdy and use foam, not duct tape for the wood to be smooth!

I just tried the link, it wont take it from googledrive.

I started.  I have an abstract shape I conjured from various surfboards, that I have surfed along California coast.   I pretty much just threw a shape on a piece of parchment paper for my template.   I have a rocker line now and am shaping bottom with flatish v nose to concave to double concave around fin  to flatty tail.

590877E3-8E86-40AB-95ED-315E37280CBB_zps

61909C75-0A38-4DF6-BFEF-B2071CCF43ED_zps

I roughly finished rails and bottom.  Just have to use some lightweight sparkling to smith it out and some finer grit before I attempt the glass.

9AD7EC2E-42F7-445F-BBE5-725151B0488C_zps

409843AF-EC9E-4278-B842-FFF584052090_zps

C449D596-F72B-4A11-ADF4-E8B2E05AD7BE_zps

Edited by Shastasurf
14 hours ago, Shastasurf said:

I started.  I have an abstract shape I conjured from various surfboards, that I have surfed along California coast.   I pretty much just threw a shape on a piece of parchment paper for my template.   I have a rocker line now and am shaping bottom with flatish v nose to concave to double concave around fin  to flatty tail.

590877E3-8E86-40AB-95ED-315E37280CBB_zps

61909C75-0A38-4DF6-BFEF-B2071CCF43ED_zps

I roughly finished rails and bottom.  Just have to use some lightweight sparkling to smith it out and some finer grit before I attempt the glass.

9AD7EC2E-42F7-445F-BBE5-725151B0488C_zps

409843AF-EC9E-4278-B842-FFF584052090_zps

C449D596-F72B-4A11-ADF4-E8B2E05AD7BE_zps

Great looking board.   I am curious, what made you decide to do the concave ?  Did you do these before.  I am working on my second and third board and skeptical on trying concave shape.

14 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

I am going to do this in the spring.  I'm going to use blanks from here: http://www.foamez.com/

Dave

Dave,

Just curious, Why foamez?  I looked on there and really didn't find anything for wake surf.  The board I am most excited about is from greenlight.  Like I said you cant go wrong with them.  I cant speak highly enough about brian, I suggest you contact him before doing anything.   The reason I like them is you can order anything you want.   After speaking with day1 wake and some others, mainly day1 I got the idea for the right rocker, thickness, size everything.  I told Brian what I wanted and within a day had it done and one its way.   It was a custom board and still around 55$ I think.   Plus he threw in a scrap one so I could practice on.  I am one of those when I find someone who did me right, I am loyal and tell people about them.  if you want to tackle this as well, take DAy1 advice, follow them on instagram, you can see the process the tools, the boards, the pros riding them, there are 1of1 customs(inlandsurfer div).  Day1 has been great, also a guy I think named surfdad and wakeworld has been a Wealth of knowledge.  Best thing is both of these guys have done this forever and want to see others enjoy and grow the sport. 

• Like 2

I have a shortboard for the ocean that has this  double concave tail and I really like it.   I thought  a lot of wakesurf boards have it as well?  It's way more subtle than the light makes it look, on my shape.  

I like the sound of the day1, thanks for sharing!  I will definitely call Brian when I'm ready for a real blank.  That is awesome he sent you an extra to practice!

I am going to make my own fins and glass them in.  I'm doing this to save money and will use fin boxes on as I improve.

5 hours ago, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

Great looking board.   I am curious, what made you decide to do the concave ?  Did you do these before.  I am working on my second and third board and skeptical on trying concave shape.

7 hours ago, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

Dave,

Just curious, Why foamez?  I looked on there and really didn't find anything for wake surf.  The board I am most excited about is from greenlight.  Like I said you cant go wrong with them.  I cant speak highly enough about brian, I suggest you contact him before doing anything.   The reason I like them is you can order anything you want.   After speaking with day1 wake and some others, mainly day1 I got the idea for the right rocker, thickness, size everything.  I told Brian what I wanted and within a day had it done and one its way.   It was a custom board and still around 55$ I think.   Plus he threw in a scrap one so I could practice on.  I am one of those when I find someone who did me right, I am loyal and tell people about them.  if you want to tackle this as well, take DAy1 advice, follow them on instagram, you can see the process the tools, the boards, the pros riding them, there are 1of1 customs(inlandsurfer div).  Day1 has been great, also a guy I think named surfdad and wakeworld has been a Wealth of knowledge.  Best thing is both of these guys have done this forever and want to see others enjoy and grow the sport. 

I looked up Day1wake on IG but it looks like he's gone dark there now?

So Greenlight will give you a custom shaped board for that price? Is there any shaping left to be done, or just tweaks for personal customization? I'd like something "soulcraft like" to play with but probably wouldn't be able to describe it well enough to get a similar shaped blank.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

So Greenlight will give you a custom shaped board for that price? Is there any shaping left to be done, or just tweaks for personal customization? I'd like something "soulcraft like" to play with but probably wouldn't be able to describe it well enough to get a similar shaped blank.

Doomswell will also provide blanks... I have not tried completing a blank board so I don't know if it needs further shaping.. Brock at doomswell will help you with your questions

sorry.. here is the website: http://www.doomswell.com/

Or he use to... Did not see the blanks on the new website.. guess call and ask if he still does

Edited by kerpluxal
16 hours ago, NWBU said:

Hey sorry. DAY1 didn't go dark.  He merged with one of the biggest board companies INLAND surfer.   He is 1 of 1 custom now with them.  He designs and builds all their customs boards.   Search 1of1 customs and you should find them, or find me nrgort and you will see them through who I follow.  Until I followed him on there I was tempted but once I followed his work and the joy of the pictures he had with those boards I dove head into it.  The blanks are cut to the rocker and thickness and size roughly, but then you shape.  If you want a blank pretty much done and all you do is the painting and little stuff,  email Bryce and 1 of 1 customs.   He is really wanting to help the sport grow, hes made a board for a guy 400 lbs and competes and spins and jumps.  I mean he is awesome and just loves to talk about the sport.   I know that, you will enjoy this as much as me.  To be honest, after have the WORST day ever yesterday, all I found myself to do is come home and work on the boards.  It made me get lost in thought and relaxed me.    

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a bit.  Foamez has a 5'2" wakesurf blank that looks interesting.  Having said that, I'm not married to anything.  Unless something goes bad wrong, I plan on making a few boards.  I like the idea & the process intrigues me....

Dave

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, malibuskier2003 said:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a bit.  Foamez has a 5'2" wakesurf blank that looks interesting.  Having said that, I'm not married to anything.  Unless something goes bad wrong, I plan on making a few boards.  I like the idea & the process intrigues me....

Dave

Good size.  I just think I found their shipping to be expensive.  It was cheaper for me shipping through greenlight.   They also have 4/7 4'5 and up through 5'7 blanks.  Plus like I said they will do custom ones for you.  I been told that you need very limited rocker in the rear which is what I ordered.   Plus I think I could 4 boards in one box for 60 bucks for shipping.  Make sure you post pics!  I will say this if you plan to make a few invest in the tools and making a very sturdy shaping saw horses.  Not sure what the real term is, mine were not done the right away so its frustrating.   Also, Ive done two now, and I would say I think im going to buy a polish sander, the big one, everyone seems to be using them.  I used hand and small sander, takes a lot of work.  I know shaping rails are a pain, I have made a hand held hot wire, in which I am going to try using to cut the first cut on rails since I am not good at using a planer on the rails yet.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

Curious, did you seal your board before paitning?  I have heard a lot of people take spackle and seal the board because of all the holes, whether it be accidents or just because its foam.   I am curious because mine never come perfectly smooth like the pros do. 

Been busy with life so haven't got my glass or epoxy yet.  I've spackled board but I need to smooth and even it all out.  I've been experimenting making some fins tonight.  I taped some foam and used some fiberglass resin.  

CA1B4D30-E788-40E4-8653-714CDEB4C0FE_zps

429F3476-B9B3-4B1D-8116-D7774B6763C0_zps

Edited by Shastasurf

I know this threat is dying but just letting you all know, check our greenlight website.  If I am reading that right, they will shape your blank, for 50bucks where you don't have to do really anything to it.  You tell them the specs and they will machine cut it so all you really have to do is very little shaping and just work on paint and glassing.

Post some pics of your build.

57 minutes ago, Tnwakeboarder86 said:

I know this threat is dying but just letting you all know, check our greenlight website.  If I am reading that right, they will shape your blank, for 50bucks where you don't have to do really anything to it.  You tell them the specs and they will machine cut it so all you really have to do is very little shaping and just work on paint and glassing.