Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Full Size Pickup Sales Breakdown

RyanB

34 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yep. GM outsells all in half ton and 3/4 ton. 

Not surprised, good job Ford and GM. I like this data because it leads me to believe that it's excluding most of the fleet sales.

GM's sales are similar to how Malibu and Axis are usually 2 of the brands in the top 4 or top 5 towboat unit sales per year.

11 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

It splits GMC and Chevy into two groups.  I consider those to be the same basic product with slight trim differences.  

GMC and Chevrolet are two distinct business units, so sales are reported separate.  Always have been.  Same happens other places too.  Chrysler and Dodge minivans were similar to the GM trucks, but reported separately.  Same with Tahoe/Yukon and the Lambda SUVs.  Makes sense to me.

And, if you count the Canyon/Colorado, GM widens the gap of overall sales.  

I think what is most surprising here is the marketshare of the Japanese trucks - especially for Nissan.  How did they sell that few Titans when it is a brand new truck?  Hasn't it been out since around September?

With what they were asking for the Nissans when they came out, you could go buy a comparable Ram 2500 and have a big boy toy. My local dealership still has 3 '16's on the lot even with fire sale prices. They have a good concept there, just implemented horribly. If I am going to get a heavy duty truck, I better be able to haul a ton in the trunk, not 1500#.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, RyanB said:

GMC and Chevrolet are two distinct business units, so sales are reported separate.  Always have been.  Same happens other places too.  Chrysler and Dodge minivans were similar to the GM trucks, but reported separately.  Same with Tahoe/Yukon and the Lambda SUVs.  Makes sense to me.

And, if you count the Canyon/Colorado, GM widens the gap of overall sales.  

I think what is most surprising here is the marketshare of the Japanese trucks - especially for Nissan.  How did they sell that few Titans when it is a brand new truck?  Hasn't it been out since around September?

I dunno, maybe because they are ugly, over priced and only bought by people who think a Nissan half ton truck is something to even consider?

As for the gmc vs chev, they really are separate. The Gmc tends to have the bigger engines, see a lot more single cab Chevy work trucks.

I guess I haven't looked, but are they really priced more than comparable 1500s?  The test that FLT just did had sticker in mid $50's, which seems comparable to the Ford and RAM that they have recently tested.

I don't think there is much of a delta between any of the 1500s vs 2500s.  At least if you are talking 2500 gassers.

I think GM is missing something big time in marketing. Ford always claims it is the best selling truck (remember, Lincoln used to sell F150 based trucks).

GM should be advertising that their 1/2 trucks are the best selling 1/2 ton series of trucks.  Chevrolet and GMC may be distinct brands but they are basically the same truck.  

How much emphasis do people really place on that moniker? If I'm buying a new truck I'm looking at them all, checking recent consumer ratings and going with my gut feel. It doesn't matter to me what my neighbor bought, in fact I'd be more likely to shy from that. But I guess Ford thinks it is something, they say it ALL the time. I'd be more apt to go with longevity, but they all claim longevity based on different time periods. Personally, I don't care what truck Moses hauled the Ten Commandments in, I'm guessing nothing about that truck is similar to what I am buying today.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:03 AM, Falko said:

How much emphasis do people really place on that moniker? If I'm buying a new truck I'm looking at them all, checking recent consumer ratings and going with my gut feel. It doesn't matter to me what my neighbor bought, in fact I'd be more likely to shy from that. But I guess Ford thinks it is something, they say it ALL the time. I'd be more apt to go with longevity, but they all claim longevity based on different time periods. Personally, I don't care what truck Moses hauled the Ten Commandments in, I'm guessing nothing about that truck is similar to what I am buying today.

This game is played everywhere, Malibu has been on a "best selling brand" thing for months. 

How frequently is the 23LSV referenced as #1 selling wake boat....

The only piece of that information that is relative to me, is how they do on resale.  As I buy a new trunk every 2-3 years, resale is important.   

11 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Awesome.

So Hyundai and Kia outsell Mercedes in Atlanta.

So therefor Hyundai/Kia must be better.

With the 10yr 100k warranty, id say yes.

personally not a Mercedes fan , overpriced,  service intervals are high and $$.

not going to run out and buy a Hyundai, by I'd consider the K900 if in the market for a sedan 

2 hours ago, Stevo said:

With the 10yr 100k warranty, id say yes.

personally not a Mercedes fan , overpriced,  service intervals are high and $$.

not going to run out and buy a Hyundai, by I'd consider the K900 if in the market for a sedan 

Dang you made me look.  $50K + for a KIA?  NFW.  It might be a great great car, but you are going to get DESTROYED on resale.  Think Volkswagen Phaeton.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Dang you made me look.  $50K + for a KIA?  NFW.  It might be a great great car, but you are going to get DESTROYED on resale.  Think Volkswagen Phaeton.

Dude, Lebron James drives one.  

...but I agree...especially at that horsepower rating for that price?  no way.  

new genesis...maybe

I would agree that shear sales volume isn't the best indication of what is the best product.

But I also think it is silly to try to compare a Kia/Hyundai to a Mercedes.  I don't think I have ever heard someone say "well, I almost bought a Kia Sorento, but I sure am glad I decided to go with the G Class".  They aren't exactly competing for the same buyer.

Where as the above link shows vehicles that people will cross-shop.  It is highly likely that someone will compare a RAM 1500 vs a Silverado 1500 should they be in the market.

What doesn't make sense to me is why someone would buy a truck that has less power, inferior transmission, less luxury options, lower MPG, and pay a significantly higher price to do it.  But there are people that do.  I guess that is something that makes America great.  The ability to buy what you want, even if it doesn't make sense to someone else.

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Yeah,  but I'm note really ever in the market for a sedan. Most cars do not allow for a guy my size 6-4 to fit comfortably with any passengers in the back seat, let alone fit a guy my size in the back seat. So it's been full size truck or SUV ever since I started writing the checks.

ive seen some of those K900's tinted and with a decent set of rims that I'd take over Audi,BMW, Mercedes, Lexus.

i hear you on the resale, but picking up a 2-4 yr old used one for my kid with 6-8 yrs left on the warranty and not ashamed to take it for a spin, it looks pretty good.

good thing time is on my hands and my oldest won't be driving for 6 more years 

Edited by Stevo