Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 VLX - Milky transmission fluid

Hey folks. 

Need help.  My 2014 VLX was in for services and when they changed the transmission fluid it was milky.  They changed it and test drive no problems they said.  

They said maybe water got into the vent tube  

Not sure if that's the case or even plausible To make it even better warranty is up soon and I don't feel like paying for a new transmission.  Any help would be great. 

Mike 

Only other entry point would be the trans cooler. Raw water will get passed into the trans fluid there. 

The vent system on those trans / v-drives are wierd. I'm not sure they even work to be honest. Every time you pull or unscrew the fluid level indicators you get a massive suction noise . This alone leaves me to believe that the vents are not very "free flowing" .

I had a failed o-ring on a trans cooler on one of my Malibus with the same transmission. While transmission will typically need replacement if the water was in the trans for any prolonged amount of time. The clutch plate frictions are bonded with water based glue . The friction material will literally fall off the steel plates. 

I'd ask for the trans cooler to be inspected if you don't recall the boat ever being swamped.... and by swamped I mean up to the starter level deep in water. 

Hey. Thanks folks.  The boat has never been swamped. Other then a little water and rain water the boat its on a lift. I will ask them to inspect it so I don't get a big bill just after warranty.  Unfortunately the dealer is not familiar with the boats and we only have a few of them here.  It's a bit scary.  So get them to inspect the the transmission cooler? Anything else ? How will I know if the clutch plates are failing ? Or I won't until it's too late.   

• 3 months later...

Hey folks 

Boat back with one run of 45 min and the V drive fluid looks milky.  Transmission fluid looks fine.  Still think it's possible that it is the cooler?  Any help would be appreciated.  Warranty is just up so I feel there will be a fight on my hands.  

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Yuey said:

Hey folks 

Boat back with one run of 45 min and the V drive fluid looks milky.  Transmission fluid looks fine.  Still think it's possible that it is the cooler?  Any help would be appreciated.  Warranty is just up so I feel there will be a fight on my hands.  

Thanks 

V drive fluid milky could be a crack in the v drive cooling passage.

What ever is suggested I wouldn't buy the "you need a new V drive" story. Those things are nearly indestructible unless you some how end up with shrapnel in it. I would fix it, flush it, refill it and use it. 

Edited by wdr
2 hours ago, Fman said:

How many hours on the boat?  2014 out of warranty? When did you expire?

Only 139 hours.  Out of warranty by about 1 month. 

50 minutes ago, Yuey said:

Only 139 hours.  Out of warranty by about 1 month. 

Your original post was back on Feb 12, this is when the problem was discovered correct?  I would think you would be covered under warranty because it was discovered within your three year coverage.  Did your dealer tell you it would not be covered?