Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diving In!!! List of essential accessories

LarsJensen

11 hours ago, LarsJensen said:

Hi Crew, 

I'm new to the forum and love all the information on the site. Purchasing a 2006 Sunscape '21 with Boat Mate tandem axle trailer and wondering what are some of the ESSENTIAL mods and accessories that will make life on the water, over the road, at the boat ramp, and in the garage much easier. I've reviewed many threads in the Mods and Accessories category but just need a starting point. The boat does have ballast, wedge, decent stereo but that's about it. Wisconsin is home and we are on the water when the ice isn't and we will also be taking long road trips (Arkansas, Arizona, Carolinas......)  tow vehicle is a '13 Yukon Denali (6.2 Liter, I think......it sips fuel when not running)

Thanks for the input!

LJ

Welcome LJ!  Greetings from the other end of Wisconsin.

I've got the same boat so pretty much look at all my threads and that will give you an idea of where to start :lol:

@LarsJensen Too answer your question about what is a suckgate.....for years before "surfgate" or "suckgate" came out, you had to list(lean) the boat to one side to get a surfable wave.  "Suckgate" became popular last year.  It sticks to one side of the boat(using suction cups) when you are surfing to delay the convergence of water behind the boat so you can get a fantastic surf wave without listing the boat. Just pump all your ballast, stick it on the side of the boat and go.  This is the company that originally made it and sold it as a "delta" gate.  http://www.missionboatgear.com/collections/delta-wakesurf-panel

They wanted too much for it so the smart guys around here figured out how to build them extremely cheap.  You can also find different versions cheaper eleswhere online. 

For newbies...all of the above items AND

a laminated check list. Use prior to dipping the boat in the water and leaving the driveway. And use the checklist until you feel comfortable not needing it....say 10-15 years.

The simplest of things like forgetting to put all the plugs in, can ruin your day! Or forgetting the boat keys!

And some practice loading and unloading the boat when the ramp is not busy...nothing like pissing off your fellow boaters your very first day!  Trust me, they will remember!  Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance!

A battery tender.  Nothing like driving all the way to the lake and finding out your battery is dead.  and jumper cables...ya just never know with batteries.

and even a class , on line, to teach you the basics.  It is amazing how most States allow anyone out on the water.  You'll learn common safety and courtesy rules, regs, and tips.  And the class could allow you a discount on your insurance.  You are the Capt., it is your responsibility!

And all the abovementioned comments and posts!

Edited by WAwinegrapes
1 hour ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Not sure if this was already mentioned but I highly recommend goggles, a snorkel and good fins (diving, boogie boarding, etc). I'm new to boating and put my goggles/snorkel/fins to work last summer. I thought I'd secured my new box anchor's line to a floating buoy in about '10 ft of water when we headed out for a ride. I hadn't and the buoy floated off. If I didn't have my snorkel gear I would have been replacing my brand new box anchor and anchor buddy (I'm still a little amazed I found it in all the grass and murky water).

I also saw a friend use a mask and fins to free up his prop after his wife backed over the wakeboard rope.

Great looking Bu. Congrats!

Snorkel and goggles!!! Got it. Thanks,didn't even think of that as I get up with and IO and all we had to do was raise the lower unit to free the ski rope. 

21 minutes ago, LarsJensen said:

Snorkel and goggles!!! Got it. Thanks,didn't even think of that as I get up with and IO and all we had to do was raise the lower unit to free the ski rope. 

You'll want to add a sharp knife and pliers to that ski rope untangling kit too. Been there once and I'll never let that happen again.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NWBU said:

You'll want to add a sharp knife and pliers to that ski rope untangling kit too. Been there once and I'll never let that happen again.

This sucks and it will happen. I keep two ropes on the boat. If you get tangled badly, its just easier to cut the rope and eat the $80 or so it costs. I've had a couple panic sessions with the line wrapped in the prop and wind blowing me towards a sketchy shoreline. I keep a backup ski rope in boat so it won't end the day if it happens. 

Also something that I am going to add to the list this year is a small jump start box. Not sure about your battery setup but I've killed my single and had to switch to backup to crank. Too easy to leave the switch on 1+2 and kill both. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, braindamage said:

Welcome to the 'crew!  you will love it.  Where in Wisconsin are you?  

+1 on above.  especially extra prop, puller, wood block, locknut, and cotter pin, diving goggles...extra impeller.

Make sure you have boater safety license.  When we bought our boat our whole family got certified.

Have a "boat bag" with all the essentials pre-packed so you don't have to worry about forgetting the stuff and you can go in a moments notice.  Include sweatshirts, towels, sunscreen, water toys, etc... After each outing take out and launder anything that needs to be cleaned and immediately put them back into the bag.  

Have a list of items to remember, like putting in all the drain plugs prior to launch.

For boat ramp, remember to pack lots of patience, understanding, encouragement, and laughter.  Especially never criticize or yell at your your wife, kids, others who are backing up the trailer, docking the boat, holding lines.  Lots of "thank-you's" and "it would really helpful if you would..."  If you stick to this eventually everyone will not only be capable, but will also be willing to help.  Otherwise it's a super stressful part of the experience.

Include also:

First aid kit

Danik Hook (adjustable for anchoring/tying to different line lengths); anchor, with buoy so if you drop any of it you can find them.

Extra line(s) and bumpers for tying up to docks/other boats

Small toolkit & Leatherman multipurpose took

Waterproof container with wet wipes, paper towels, cash, boat licenses, boater safety licenses

drink koozies

The Absorber chamois (or something like it) to wipe down the boat after every use

Extra ziplock bags for phones/etc.

Really good cooler (RTIC) & extra snacks that you WANT on the boat (no cheetos, cherries, dark soda, messy anything)

Dive shoes (or other water shoes) in case you have to get out in the water in rocky/zebra mussel lake bottoms

Frisbee, water ball, other toys.

Extra towels & sunscreen

1-set of novice equipment (combo skis, wakeboard, tube, ropes, velcro straps to keep the ropes manageable)

Mods:

backup battery (if you like hanging around and listening to music)

+1 on suckgate.  definitely worth it instead of listing if you want to surf

Rain-x on the windshield

Wind block shield for bowrider thru-way

Heater (you are in wisconsin)

Thanks guys! I just ordered some Exile balls, an Absorber, and a Danick hook. 

What wiring harness does a new boat trailer have? Is it still the 5 pin flat one? Also, does a new boat come with a fire extinguisher?

18 minutes ago, LS1boarder said:

Thanks guys! I just ordered some Exile balls, an Absorber, and a Danick hook. 

What wiring harness does a new boat trailer have? Is it still the 5 pin flat one? Also, does a new boat come with a fire extinguisher?

It will have the 7 pin round connector.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, NWBU said:

Welcome aboard the site.  Great bunch of folks.  Ditto on the knife but also quality sharp electric wire side cutters for small diameter ropes like wakeboard ropes ect..  Easier to cut rope with whilst under a boat in the water w rope around prop. Ask me how I know, easier to work with and safer.

Some great tips and info in this thread. Congrats on your boat, practice some and get to know her and enjoy.   Oh, and easiest trick for "backing" trailer into water, don't, leave tow vehicle in neutral and let the boat/trailer pull ya  into the water. Works way easier. Safer as well, no reverse so no accidental gas pedal step issues and tow truck in lake situation.

• 1 month later...

Update!

ive been on the water a couple times now and all the accessories the BU community recommended came in handy. Here's a summary of what I learned thus far.

• the 2006 21' Sunscape is a much bigger boat than the '93 Prostar 190 (obvious, but trailering launching et cetera is different. Just a lot more mass. 
  • Day 1 was with 537 prop and day 2 was with 381. Hole shot and top end speeds where impacted respectively. Topped out at 44 with me, my son and a full tank of gas with 381. With 9 people, dog and full tank was 41 with same prop. 
  • Stereo works great and will opt for dual batteries as music is essential
  • i learned to plug in the trailer even when just repositioning the boat a few feet on the driveway (backing up don't work so well ;)
  • the box anchor recommended by fellow member works awesome! Probably my favorite accessory
  • Scored a big sale for dock lines, bumpers, fire extinguisher, first aid kit (if the apocalypse comes, I'm ready!!!), ski ropes, and life jackets.
  • bought the weekend saver from a big prop manufacturer. Makes changing a prop a five minute task.
  • The boat easily fits 9 plus a 80-pound dog for a day of cruising and consuming copious amounts of Chex Mix. 
  • The wind block is awesome!
  • my dog has claimed the boat as her realm!

I love this boat. It is comfortable, maneuverable, has a great ride, great wake, and has plenty of ponies under the hood.

thanks all for all your input to make my first couple of excursions into the water successful and enjoyable!

LJ

• Like 4

Now we just need the weather to cooperate here in Wisco .... this spring has been weird as can be.  Forecast looks promising though!