Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Million mile 5.7L 2007 Toyota Tundra

Fman

I had a Tundra for 5 years (2010 model), and was very pleased with it.  For work, I sometimes have to drive it like I stole it to get to the hospital to catch a baby.  That Tundra was the least fun to drive in those circumstances.  The shifting was rough, and the vehicle had this herky/jerky feel to it that was just not that great.  My Diesel F250 on the other hand, burns rubber and has an incredibly smooth acceleration when I really pound the pedal.  For towing, it is an apples to oranges kind of deal, and of course the diesel does a lot better, but the Tundra holds its own.  I never towed the G with it, just the 247, and it did just fine.  

You don't usually buy a truck to drive it like a Corvette, so the fact that is all I can find to complain about speaks pretty well of it.  There was not a single issue in 60K miles.  

4 hours ago, leje0306 said:

The tundra platinum uses the same leather Lexus uses. The empirical data is that Toyota sells every truck they can make. 

I go to the auto shows every year.  I don't look at Lexus, but I do look at the trucks.  The Toyota leather does not compare with the top of line RAM or Ford.  I have a RAM Longhorn and a Porsche Cayman (with the upgraded leather).  The RAMs leather is nicer than the Porsche.  And nicer than my buddies A8.  And certainly nicer than a Tundra.

The empirical data is that Toyota builds trucks to meet their demand.  The domestic (if you can still call them that) manufactures have shifted production to trucks because they have higher demand.  If Toyota had that demand, they would do the same.  Full size trucks and SUVs have the highest profit margin of any vehicle.  If they could sell more trucks, they would shift production accordingly.

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

I go to the auto shows every year.  I don't look at Lexus, but I do look at the trucks.  The Toyota leather does not compare with the top of line RAM or Ford.  I have a RAM Longhorn and a Porsche Cayman (with the upgraded leather).  The RAMs leather is nicer than the Porsche.  And nicer than my buddies A8.  And certainly nicer than a Tundra.

The empirical data is that Toyota builds trucks to meet their demand.  The domestic (if you can still call them that) manufactures have shifted production to trucks because they have higher demand.  If Toyota had that demand, they would do the same.  Full size trucks and SUVs have the highest profit margin of any vehicle.  If they could sell more trucks, they would shift production accordingly.

The high end RAM interior is really plush. What grade leather do they use? (Aniline? Vegetable tanned? Napa? Full grain?)  Just wondering what you using to gauge quality when you say something does not compare.

7 hours ago, RyanB said:

Again, the Toyota Tundra Platinum uses the same leather Lexus uses. It is different leather than the other Tundra trims. I tend to disagree that it is inferior to Ford's or RAM's leather, at least from my experience driving all three. However, if I were to compare, for instance, the leather in a Tundra Limited to that of the F150 Platinum, I may arrive at the same conclusion as you.

Many manufacturers do this. My Denali HD has different leather than the Sierra SLT. 

Take a look at your next auto show.

Any real production capacity shortage would be remedied quickly by Toyota.  It's a common marketing strategy to give the impression that there is a shortage of a product, thereby giving added encouragement to sign on the dotted line.

3 hours ago, Tims said:

The high end RAM interior is really plush. What grade leather do they use? (Aniline? Vegetable tanned? Napa? Full grain?)  Just wondering what you using to gauge quality when you say something does not compare.

No idea what grade they use. I am using just basic touch and feel to compare.  And, as I said, the RAM and Ford are just the two best out there.  For the record, I don't think the Denali is in the same category either.

And you can call me a hater all you want.  If I were in the market for a small car, I would likely buy a Toyota.  If I were in the market for a mid-size, it would likely be a Toyota.  If I were looking at a min-van (God forbid), Toyota would be at the top of the list.  Mid-size truck?  It would be between the Taco and the GM twins.  For whatever reason, Toyota just hasn't matched the competition in the full size trucks.  And the sales numbers really support that position.

Here are February and YTD sales numbers for those interested.  http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/03/best-selling-pickup-trucks-february-2017.html

Edited by RyanB

Toyota puts out a very reliable truck, people just need to accept that it's not going to have all the little features like giant touchscreen's and fancy leather. 

We just purchased a new 4Runner limited coming from a jeep Cherokee. Yes the touchscreen is smaller, the leather might not be some fancy crap, and it certainly won't get great gas mileage. But it sure is comfortable and hopefully reliable. 

Its funny how personal preference comes in to play.  I would take a Tundra in the 1/2 ton class over the rest without blinking.  I'd sure consider a loaded Chevy with the biggest engine.  But I would not really even consider a Ford or a Dodge in either a 1/2 ton or 2500/250.   

Edited by jjackkrash
6 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Its funny how personal preference comes in to play.  I would take a Tundra in the 1/2 ton class over the rest without blinking.  I'd sure consider a loaded Chevy with the biggest engine.  But I would not really even consider a Ford or a Dodge in either a 1/2 ton or 2500/250.   

This is so true.  Statements are said like "band x is the best at towing" as if it were a fact.  This thread, just like any other review online or in a magazine, are almost all subjective.

I have owned my Tundra since 06 and I still love it. Next year when I get a new truck I'll probably just go buy another Tundra. The resale is what pushes me towards the Toyota's. 

That Platinum interior tho :surprised:

2014toyotatundraplatinum011.jpg

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Levi900RR said:

I have owned my Tundra since 06 and I still love it. Next year when I get a new truck I'll probably just go buy another Tundra. The resale is what pushes me towards the Toyota's. 

That Platinum interior tho :surprised:

2014toyotatundraplatinum011.jpg

You really need to sit in a Ram Laramie limited or F-150 platinum if you're impressed with that interior.  I'm not saying its not nice, but it doesn't come close to the TOTL Ram and Ford.

I know I'm a weirdo but I wouldn't buy any FCA product, and I just can't bring myself to buy an F150. Like 90% of my buddies have them and I wouldn't have anything to bicker with them about if I had one. 

You have me curious though. I might have to swing by the Dodge place and see the inside of one. 

that interior above it sooo nice, If this wasn't a thread about trucks i would have thought that was a high end SUV. Its crazy to me how nice pickups have become, and what we are willing to spend on them. I like things about all the big brands, but i'm not a new vehicle buyer, and will hopefully never buy another pickup again.

My brother just bought a 2016 Tundra Platinum. I drive a 2013 F150 Platinum. I feel like the leather in my truck is much nicer. And, my truck has almost 130k on it. I'm not saying it isn't nice, just not as nice as what I'm used to. Also, the diamond pattern stitching in the Tundra is terrible, IMO. 

1 hour ago, mrnate450r said:

My brother just bought a 2016 Tundra Platinum. I drive a 2013 F150 Platinum. I feel like the leather in my truck is much nicer. And, my truck has almost 130k on it. I'm not saying it isn't nice, just not as nice as what I'm used to. Also, the diamond pattern stitching in the Tundra is terrible, IMO. 

That is a matter of opinion, I actually went with a Platinum Tundra because of the diamond pattern! It was one of the items I liked about it... Maybe I have terrible taste :( but I liked how it added some dimension in the cab and on the seats.  As far as leather "quality" isn't this like comparing a Mastercraft, Nautique, Supra and Malibu vinyl?  Seriously, they all seem to be good quality materials these days.  Having actual tinted windows with "UV protection" will also prolong the life of any interior.  Many people don't realize "privacy glass" has absolutely little to none UV protection built into it.

I test drove a 2016 Tundra and 2016 F150 back to back a few months ago, both interiors imo were about the same.  Really liked both trucks, ended up in a Tundra because I like the simplicity of them, proven longevity and the 6 speed antiquated transmission! :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

I know I'm a weirdo but I wouldn't buy any FCA product, and I just can't bring myself to buy an F150. Like 90% of my buddies have them and I wouldn't have anything to bicker with them about if I had one. 

You have me curious though. I might have to swing by the Dodge place and see the inside of one. 

do it.  And keep in mind that's an 8 year old interior, and its still the bees knees.  Dodge gives you cooled seats and heated wheel THREE trim levels DOWN from the top of the line limited. You have to go full platinum in Toyota to do that.   Just so many features, details, and craftsmanship in high end ram interiors.  OK fine so my tranny may give way but I'll wait for a tow VERY comfortably sipping sold ones from my standard infloor coolers.  :lol:

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

do it.  And keep in mind that's an 8 year old interior, and its still the bees knees.  Dodge gives you cooled seats and heated wheel THREE trim levels DOWN from the top of the line limited. You have to go full platinum in Toyota to do that.   Just so many features, details, and craftsmanship in high end ram interiors.  OK fine so my tranny may give way but I'll wait for a tow VERY comfortably sipping sold ones from my standard infloor coolers.  :lol:

Are the new 8 speeds failure prone?  Coolers, lol only if it is cold outside.  But they are a handy place to keep my tie downs and tow strap.

2 hours ago, Fman said:

That is a matter of opinion, I actually went with a Platinum Tundra because of the diamond pattern! It was one of the items I liked about it... Maybe I have terrible taste :( but I liked how it added some dimension in the cab and on the seats.  As far as leather "quality" isn't this like comparing a Mastercraft, Nautique, Supra and Malibu vinyl?  Seriously, they all seem to be good quality materials these days.  Having actual tinted windows with "UV protection" will also prolong the life of any interior.  Many people don't realize "privacy glass" has absolutely little to none UV protection built into it.

I test drove a 2016 Tundra and 2016 F150 back to back a few months ago, both interiors imo were about the same.  Really liked both trucks, ended up in a Tundra because I like the simplicity of them, proven longevity and the 6 speed antiquated transmission! :)

I agree with you. All preference! It's what makes the world go around. Enjoy your new truck! 

3 hours ago, Fman said:

Congratulations on the new truck. Personally I would take the 6 speed over the 8 in a second. My LC has the 8 speed and it's the worst feature of the vehicle. Stupid thing is constantly shifting and when you catch it between gears and are trying to add throttle it's jerky. Far as I am concerned it is a complete gimmick. But I understand, you have to keep changing things in order to keep the moths flying to the light, and I was sucked right in. 

Leather quality is just a good as any other 1/2 ton out there. Yes, some might like a different feel, but as far as quality, nah. Unless someone can show me the grade difference, I call BS. 

3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

OK fine so my tranny may give way but I'll wait for a tow VERY comfortably sipping sold ones from my standard infloor coolers.  :lol:

Hehe, this made me laugh.  

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Are the new 8 speeds failure prone?

Not to my knowledge.  Joking because seems everyone but three of us thinks fca products are duct taped together.