Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Million mile 5.7L 2007 Toyota Tundra

Fman

That dude could have carried that truck half of those miles...

There was a guy in LA a few years back that turned 1MM on his, ahem, 1996 F150. It didn't look so good, but was still running. His claim to fame was driving 5 under the speed limit and never letting his kids drive it. I think some of the dents in his were bullet holes though....

8 hours ago, Fman said:

This is more than likely why I will end up in a Tundra this spring.  Million miles on same transmission and engine.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/toyota-tundra-million-mile-official/

If he got 13 mpgs and $2.00 gas he paid $153,846 in gas.  If he drove a Ford or Dodge and got 17 mpg (not difficult) he would have paid $117,647 in gas.  A difference of almost the price of the truck, not mere parts, including engine.

125,000 miles per year / 52 weeks / 5 days is 480 miles/day average.  Insane.  And I never want to own a vehicle with nearly that many miles.

IMO, it is now the norm for a vehicle to go 200,000 + miles on engine/tranny.  300,000 isn't that unusual.  Plenty of examples out there  And it doesn't matter the brand.

If you want a Toyota truck, you should buy one.  But to me it doesn't make any sense to buy something that is more costly up front, gets worse MPG, and has less features than a competitive truck because you think it will have a longer life (that you won't even take advantage of).  And no, resale value does not make up all of that difference.  There is a reason the Tundra is a DISTANT 4th in sales.

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

If he got 13 mpgs and $2.00 gas he paid $153,846 in gas.  If he drove a Ford or Dodge and got 17 mpg (not difficult) he would have paid $117,647 in gas.  A difference of almost the price of the truck, not mere parts, including engine.

That is true but how many Fords and Dodges would he of purchased in that time frame? 

My Tundra 5.7 gets 18 to on the Interstate and 14 in town. 

• Like 2

Man you guys are hook line and sinker taking the bait!  haha... just a cool story.  And props to Toyota for giving him a new truck.  I keep my vehicles way longer than my boats, I am also considering a used Tundras with 40-50k miles which is some peace of mind these vehicles can easily turn 200-300k miles with relatively little to no problems.

@85 Barefoot I am pretty sure he averaged 16-17 MPG seeing as they where obviously freeway miles.

38 minutes ago, Fman said:

Man you guys are hook line and sinker taking the bait!  haha... just a cool story.  And props to Toyota for giving him a new truck.  I keep my vehicles way longer than my boats, I am also considering a used Tundras with 40-50k miles which is some peace of mind these vehicles can easily turn 200-300k miles with relatively little to no problems.

@85 Barefoot I am pretty sure he averaged 16-17 MPG seeing as they where obviously freeway miles.

good...then in a dodge he'd be getting 21-22!

It was in the shop 120 times in 9 years=13 times per year. Hm. I'm wondering if he'd get off cheaper by flying the longer routes instead of driving, and then just rent a car.

Not to mention saving all the time(money) flying vs driving.  

Steve B.

4 hours ago, Fman said:

........@85 Barefoot I am pretty sure he averaged 16-17 MPG seeing as they where obviously freeway miles.

I don't know, did you see the size of that guy? I know why he isn't driving a Tacoma....

8 hours ago, Steve B. said:

It was in the shop 120 times in 9 years=13 times per year. Hm. I'm wondering if he'd get off cheaper by flying the longer routes instead of driving, and then just rent a car.

Not to mention saving all the time(money) flying vs driving.  

Steve B.

He drove 125k per year, so oil changes about every 10k.    I had some time today during conference calls, so read up a bit.  He works for a company and used the truck to haul things for the oil industry.  Flying would be a no go...

29 minutes ago, edwin said:

He drove 125k per year, so oil changes about every 10k.    I had some time today during conference calls, so read up a bit.  He works for a company and used the truck to haul things for the oil industry.  Flying would be a no go...

So he was also towing with it?  could this get any better?  solid transmission even under towing conditions.  Just the fact he got a million miles on the original transmission is quite impressive.

It would be interesting to see the dealers maintenance report of anything that had to be repaired during the million miles.  I'm sure a few little items came up every now and then.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, Fman said:

But would have to buy 4 of them, one every 250k miles! :biggrin:

4 butt ugly trucks! I think the RAM hit every branch falling down the ugly tree. Like Ford Edsell ugly.  I would live with 1 less mile per gallon and better reliability. 

So on the triple axle loaded full for the lake weighs around ~8900lbs, I know that because I've CAT scale weighed it.

Mine is a little heavier than most:

i carry 250lbs lead in the bow at all times and i have 5 Group 29 Batteries.

my trailer is a 10k rated 8" beam triple axel. So it's 250lbs heavier than the other 6" beam 8k wakeboat triple axels you see, and 450lbs heavier than your standard two axel 6" beam 8k wakeboat trailers most folks use.

I would give it a B+ Overall.  Tough for a 390hp 1/2ton to hitch carry 9k and do it well.  Inherently we all want to be able to cruise interstate at 70-75mph at 2000rpms. Not going to happen with that much weight, on gentle rolling interstate you are carrying speeds and jumping to 3k rpms to maintain speed.  But it's a Toyota, it's fine, RPMs aren't going to make a Toyota fall apart.  I want ~25% more Hp/Tq avail and it would be a lot more pleasant tow for longer highway trips.

Towing 9k on mixed interstate at 65-70 you will average 7-8mpgs.

ive towed I64 severe mountain grades thorough WV, uphill expect 30-45mph at ~3-4K rpms.  I have never had a hint of tranny temps getting hot-- even under July 90deg temps on that elevation ear popping worst stretch of I64.

Downhill on severe grades I manually select the gears in 3-5th gear for engine braking at 3-4rpm to take the pressure off the brakes.  On a severe long grade like I64s it's not a comfy ride with that much weight.  If you tow severe grades with 9k using a 1/2 ton-- get electric brakes on your trailer.  All the main trailer manfs off them now.

i would recommend you spend the $350 on Roadmaster Active Suspension if you are a 5000+ lb weight carry violator like the rest of us.  It maintains cushy factory ride unloaded, and adds addition support under heavy loads to reduce travel and firm things up. I would also recommend LT tires at 50-70PSI to firm things up also, to reduce lateral and vertical slop.

Very very high quality truck. 8yrs, 106k Miles, not a single issue other than regular scheduled maintenance.  And I've hammered this truck towing my 247, a 9500lb 34ft travel trailer and the G.

30332320616_a483c56cae_b.jpg

My last 1/2 was an 07 Tundra and it towed great for a 1/2 ton.  If I had to go back to a 1/2 ton, I'd look hard at a Tundra again along with the Chevy; no thanks on a Ford or Dodge.  Just personal preference.