Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
MalibuV7

Starting the boat search

Recommended Posts

MalibuV7

My work assignment in Colorado for the year is almost over. My wife has actually brought up the idea of selling our 2000 VLX and upgrading to a newer boat. We love our current boat and it fits fine for our needs but we now have two kids and their friends/family riding with us. It will be a little bit before we are back in Florida and putting away some extra cash for a newer model. But I wanted to get some feedback on the Axis line on any years to avoid. We are 50/50 wakeboard/surf. I have always liked less is more on a boat and easier to work on for me. We do not ride with the wedge currently but don't have a problem using it if needed. The A22 caught our eye. Just looking for general thoughts on the different models/years. 

Edited by MalibuV7

Share this post


Link to post
ID AX

A22 is a great boat.  I had a 2014 and only had a couple issues.  It was under powered for elevation (5000') We went with the 330 and it's my own fault for not going with a bigger motor.  Our normal lakes are around 3000' and the 330 was barely enough there.   I was running almost 5K lbs in ballast and it was a tank with all that weight.  MY15 saw a new hull for the A22 and it surfs loads better than my MY14 did.  

If you haven't been already, you may want to jump on the other axis forum and you might have better luck there.  

Share this post


Link to post
ahopkinsVTX

Agreed with the point above. Up to MY14 it was a good boat but it got much better in 2015. I used a 2015 for a few days this year and it surfed quite good with standard ballast plus pnp. And I think the pnp bags were 550's because there was space fore bigger bags. You would need additional bow weight then but the wave would have more to give. 

Also, they changes the transmission ratio in 2015 so the base 350 performs much better for surfing and wakeboarding. But I would still demo if possible. 

I believe for all 2017's the base engine is now the 6.0 409. This engine is a great option and will perform great. 

May want to look at the T22 as well. It was introduced in 2014 so there is probably more of a used market. It has always had the same hull so performance will be good regardless of year. Only changes will be the tower and dash in 2015 then dash again in 2017. I believe those MY's are correct. I surf a T regularly and it surfs great. 

Share this post


Link to post
hethj7

Every time I crawl around the T23 at the boat shoes, I really like it.  I'm not sure what size, etc. you are looking for, but they have a lot of space.   2017's were about $74,000 at the boat show this year.   I'm sure you could score a really nice deal on holdovers or in the used market as well.   I believe Axis went to the 5 year warranty starting in 2016 as well, so that may be something to consider as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
MalibuV7

We are likely staying in the 22' model range. Our 21' is fine lengthwise. Just need to update the width and features. Plus we will be using this one for a long time. One question I have is how the wake is for beginners with the larger beam. I pull a lot of beginners learning to clear the wake. I think anything newer is going to be wider but just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on beginners learning to clear the wake.

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter

I'm a fan.  Had 2014,2015,and 2016 A22s

 

This year switched to the T23 for more behind the windshield space and better wakesurf wake without sacrificing the wakeboard wake.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
MalibuV7
9 hours ago, Ridebutter said:

I'm a fan.  Had 2014,2015,and 2016 A22s

 

This year switched to the T23 for more behind the windshield space and better wakesurf wake without sacrificing the wakeboard wake.

 

 

Was the biggest difference just going to the 23 for the surf wake?

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter

I really like the drivers position in the T and the space behind the windshield.  18" longer boat with the windshield pushed forward adds 2' to the cockpit area.

Share this post


Link to post
Chaser720
On 2/11/2017 at 7:05 PM, MalibuV7 said:

We are likely staying in the 22' model range. Our 21' is fine lengthwise. Just need to update the width and features. Plus we will be using this one for a long time. One question I have is how the wake is for beginners with the larger beam. I pull a lot of beginners learning to clear the wake. I think anything newer is going to be wider but just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on beginners learning to clear the wake.

I have a 2015 A22 and it stays pretty clean down to 19-20 mph with the rope pulled into 55'. I've found that hitting a clean wake builds a lot of confidence. 

That being said, at Colorado altitude, the 350 (even with the 2015+ trans ratio) may struggle a bit if you plan on running a lot of extra weight. With the right prop, it will still do ok with stock ballast (maybe a bit more). 

I think the a left over 2016 is the sweet spot right now with the 5 year warranty but you may want to look at the 2017 if you need the engine. I would steer clear of the 2015 A22s. Myself and at least 10 others have had issues with stress cracks and the stringers separating from the hull. Luckily mine was ok but others have had the pretty catastrophic failures. More details on that here http://axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2732&start=120

Share this post


Link to post
MalibuV7
1 hour ago, Chaser720 said:

I have a 2015 A22 and it stays pretty clean down to 19-20 mph with the rope pulled into 55'. I've found that hitting a clean wake builds a lot of confidence. 

That being said, at Colorado altitude, the 350 (even with the 2015+ trans ratio) may struggle a bit if you plan on running a lot of extra weight. With the right prop, it will still do ok with stock ballast (maybe a bit more). 

I think the a left over 2016 is the sweet spot right now with the 5 year warranty but you may want to look at the 2017 if you need the engine. I would steer clear of the 2015 A22s. Myself and at least 10 others have had issues with stress cracks and the stringers separating from the hull. Luckily mine was ok but others have had the pretty catastrophic failures. More details on that here http://axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2732&start=120

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. 

We actually live down in Tampa, FL. Just came out to Colorado for a year to work from my Denver office. My wife wanted to be near the mountains before the kids get older. We are headed back at the end of July. 

We are actually looking to sell our boat and buy a newer model next year sometime. So a 2016 may be in the range we are looking at when the time comes. 

Edited by MalibuV7

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...