Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boom for kids/beginners?

JohnnyBravo

How beneficial is having a boom to teach kids to ski/wakeboard and to even use for beginner adults? Any recomendations regarding booms for a WSVLX?

Thanks for any input.

One word - "invaluable".

Booms are expensive and worth every penny.

Usually bringing up the topic of "which boom is the best" brings out a slew of answers, so I won't get into that. I'll just say that I have a BI boom and would go with BI again if I were to buy a new one.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to go with BI since you have a V-drive.

Mike

Heidi learned to wakeboard on a boom - she learned first long line, but really started to progress and relearn everything after Alibuma got her on the boom.

FijiRob and Alibuma also tried to teach me how to barefoot (that or they were trying to kill me) using a boom as well. So I'd say pretty much anything behind the boat can be taught easier on the boom. Both from a challenge and communication perspective, they are right there to talk/walk thru what you're teaching them.

I have been on the phone with BI all morning about the w207 boom for the titan 3 tower. They want 699.99 for it. I have 2 kids (4 and 2) and alot of fiends with kids. I'm trying to decide wither to get it or not.

later

Shawn

I have taught countless kids how to ski on a boom. I normally have them use just the boom at first. Once they are comfortable with that I have them use a 5' rope on the boom. Finally, they get behind the boat. I would estimate that the average learning curve using the boom is 1/10th of that from behind the boat. If you can afford it, I would not hesitate for a moment.

Thanks for the input. I really want the kids to have a good experience learning...the more they enjoy the boat, the more I can get out on it...Sounds like I'll be making they investment.

Really enjoying this site.

BI is the only one that I know of that makes a vdrive specific boom (vdrive, not a tower boom). I called a while back & spoke with Mike Seipel about it & he says that it will even work with boats that have the Illusion tower, the only thing is that the angle will be a little different to get it around the tower base. One thing that he did say is that it's almost a pre-requisite with a vdrive that you get their extension (& I've spoken with others that use the vdrive boom & they agree) to get farther away from the boat & the spray that is produced.

Anyone looking for a boom should take a look at this thread, might save you some cash:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5887

A boom makes teaching new or young skiers easy. This is a photo of my 7 year old nephew. He was 5 the first time he skied from the boom. Spend the money, you won't be sorry!

post-89-1155057700_thumb.jpg

Is it important rather kids learn to ski first or wakeboard first? My kids want to learn to wakeboard.
Wakeboarding is definitely easier. The get-ups are easy and there is a lot less pull on the handle so it's easy on the little hands. :) Edited by NorCaliBu
Is it important rather kids learn to ski first or wakeboard first? My kids want to learn to wakeboard.

This is JMO, but it's more important that they try what they want to do, even if it means putting them on a tube. When they're young, instilling the confidence in them to me is more important than what they're riding.

This is JMO, but it's more important that they try what they want to do, even if it means putting them on a tube. When they're young, instilling the confidence in them to me is more important than what they're riding.

Or what they're skiing ;)

I agree w/ WakeGirl everybody has the most fun doing what he or she likes to do.

The boom is well worth the money if you plan on teaching people to ride, er, ski, er...whatever. :)

Just to play into this thread a bit. I finally assembled all the pieces of the Quad V Boom for my 2001 Sunsetter VLX - including the extension piece and the small-grip handle.

My intention was for it to help me teach the kids at Camp Periwinkle this past weekend. With the help of Greenhead et.al. I got it all set up and learned some very valuable information.

The spray is awful at wakeboarding speeds. Granted I have some extra weight from the tower, full tank of gas, and speaker system, plus 600-700 lbs of people in the boat, but when I tested it out with the wakeboard there was enough spray on my foot to force me to concentrate on my balance.

Now, *IF* I could have gotten all the kids to the other side of the boat, then maybe the spray wouldn't have been so bad, but I just took the thing down at lunch and taught the kids long line after that experience.

I may try it again this week with more variables being moved around to see how it works. I'll report.

Maybe I am old school but I have taught a lot of kids to ski behind the boat. I agree that the boom is easier but there have been very few kids over the age of 5 that I couldn't get up within 5 tries behind the boat assuming they wanted to do it.

Don't think anyone is arguing that the boom is "necessary"... it is just easier.

Of course that ease comes at a cost, the boom cost, having to assemble and haul it around etc..

For some folks, it may mean the difference between getting up or not - hard to put a price on that (though I do, and I'm not getting a boom ;))

I know where you're coming from chef. I think the folks on the Learn to Barefoot thread thought I was crazy for suggesting one could learn to foot by stepping off a ski.

The boom is the best way to go for learning something new. Can (most things) be learned without one? You betcha.

The folks at barefootcentral recommended that I get the BI handle extension rather than the boom extension, the smaller diameter helps kids grip in addition to geting them further out. With my RLX they thought that would be plenty. But with a V drive you might also want the boom extension but you can always add that later if you need it. That sucker gets pretty long to maneuver just with the handle extension, I can't imagine having both extensions. I ended up takeing the handle extension off for now because the space between my dock and swim raft was a little tight and haven't needed the extra length yet.

Now, if you are pulling adult footers or wakeboarders that just want to plow water on their starts you might want the cables way out at the end rather than that handle extension sticking out past the cables, not sure, so ask whomever you get it from if the boom extension would be better in your situation.

Also, they may try to sell you a height adjuster. So far I am finding it pretty darn easy to adjust using the brackets the boom comes with. (BI) Just keep a box wrench on the floor next to it. In my RLX I don't even need to get out of the drivers seat to change the height.

I know where you're coming from chef. I think the folks on the Learn to Barefoot thread thought I was crazy for suggesting one could learn to foot by stepping off a ski.

The boom is the best way to go for learning something new. Can (most things) be learned without one? You betcha.

Tom, we were actually gonna do the step out until I decided to part with the money for a boom. Our local 'coach' was pretty encouraging about it. I even had a ski with the back of the binding removed ready for it. But, my daughter was prettry shakey on a slolom at 35 mph just training to get used to the speed. Once she took her back foot out without even intending to set it in the water and wiped out immediately. I think in her case she got going lots faster on the boom with less pain, at least so far.

So, back to the subject of this discussion. Go get a boom, you won't regret it. Not just for your kids but when they bring their friends it will be so much easier to get them going. Thinking back of all the time I spent with my kids friends to get them up and then think what the boom would have done for them. I should have bought the boom when I bought the boat. I will have a chance in two weeks to try the boom with a friend that we could not get up after numerous times last month without the boom. I'll see how much easier it is.

One other thing, if you do get a boom then buy an EZ-footer too. Even if your kids never intend to do real footing that thing looks like fun and my kids love to 'play' on it. Really easy to ride.

I have been using the boom for 15 years to teach. I wouldn't be without one. Last week at Powell, an 18 yo girl had tried and failed behind a boat another time, and she was nervous and didn't have the confidence to learn behind the boat. I told her to give me 10 minutes and I'd have her on top of the water. Put her on the boom and she got right up, figured out balance and rode. Then the 5 foot rope, again got right up and figured out balance. I repeated the 5 ft rope length just to engrain the feeling a bit more. Then put her behind the boat and she was up. Total time, < 5 minutes.

The great thing about the boom is having them where they can see and hear you - it builds confidence, especially in kids. This girl could have learned behind the boat, but she could have also been very frustrated too.

I would have to say that even though many of us learned how to ski, board, and or barefoot without a boom...I think it is an awsome learning tool. Even though I have been skiing for 25 years...@235 I liked the idea of footin off a boom first!!! I have helped many a people get up on skis and boards and I would have to say that a boom over the last few years has really helped.

We're on our 3rd boom--each specific to the individual boat we owned at the time. All were from BI. We get most kids up on the first try. It really gives them a great experience from the get go. We have a LSV and the angle is probably 5 degrees forward--no big deal. We have both the boom extension and the kids handle on the end to get them out of the side wash. The model specifically designed for a V Drive is a Quad V Deluxe. Get the height adjuster as well. see below.

I highly recommend booms and BI.

post-284-1155099119_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerQ

I just ordered the tower boom for the titan 3 today. Can't wait untill it get here. Hope fully it will get the boys on the water.

I just ordered the tower boom for the titan 3 today. Can't wait untill it get here. Hope fully it will get the boys on the water.

Both your 2 year old and your 4 year old will be thanking you when they are old enough to realize how much they like the new boom. In the meantime you can really enjoy it yourself too.

Out of curiosity, where did you end up buying it and how much change did you fork out?

One nice thing about BI, if the dealer does not have it in stock it doesn't matter, BI will ship it direct to you the same day you ordered it. (assumeing your dealer called the order in)