Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 2017 seriously electrical failure

Hello: I have a M235 2017 and It has a big electrical problem. The dealer have been working on it but they dont have Idea of what the problem is.

Nav light turn on and you cant turn them off, even with the selector in off position. 

screens are blinking, also when you start the blower

Batteries dont charge over 13.2 while running

watch in the screen frozen at the time you start the boat

Stereo restart while you navegating.

I am so piss off about this, the dealer is trying but it has to be a shortcircuit. They have already change the surfgate motors and the subwoofer amp wich has a burn channel.

Any one with a similar problem on the M235  ?

The very first thing to check with electrical problems is battery terminals then go from there. I had all sorts of weird issues with mine and with several cars. It seems like too many separate problems to not be something like a bad ground or connection somewhere.  

This may not be your problem but I have spent tons of time/money trying to troubleshoot things just to find out it was something dumb/simple like a loose connection. 

This is more complicated than that. The dealer have change twice both batteries.  also the regulator and other parts.

An the problem is not the connection. The navigation lights still on even if you put the selector in off position. So electric surge exists.

22 minutes ago, system55 said:

This is more complicated than that. The dealer have change twice both batteries.  also the regulator and other parts.

An the problem is not the connection. The navigation lights still on even if you put the selector in off position. So electric surge exists.

Impossible to diagnose this on a forum without ALOT more information but absolutely could be a simple problem or a couple simple problems working together.  It could be some weird complex problem but those issues usually happen on custom, one of a kind electrical systems and not mass produced products.

My guess is there are a couple of wires flip flopped somewhere.  If you are not very familiar with how your boats wired it will be nearly impossible to find so leave it to the experts.  If the experts can't find it then get a new expert.

I am not an electrician. I am  lawyer. The dealer is trying to fix it. And they have no idea. I am trying to investigate if there are others m235 with this issue.

I am very close to return the boat. Is frustrating to pay 200k for it and has this amount of problems.

I hate to  say it but I am not overly surprised.  My experience with Malibu recently has involved a serious lack of quality.  

I had some weird electrical gremlins with my 15 MXZ.  Nav lights would never turn off, etc.  For me software flash fixed that issue.  Other issues were bad batteries, loose connections, etc.

• Like 3

If the backup key is in the run position they will not turn off.

It is a safety feature as a just in case the screen has issues and you cannot get home.

Check the voltage at the battery or alternator when running. The screen reads at the dash through a diode and this can make the voltage seem lower. It is even worse if you have the key in the run position as there is a diode in that line as well.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, system55 said:

I am not an electrician. I am  lawyer. The dealer is trying to fix it. And they have no idea. I am trying to investigate if there are others m235 with this issue.

I am very close to return the boat. Is frustrating to pay 200k for it and has this amount of problems.

I read that as the dealer is trying to fix the fact you are a lawyer. lol 

I regret buying it. I also have a 216 G23 an not a single problem in 100 hours.

The problem with the navigation lights is not in the keys. When you put the selector to off they still on. The only way to turn them off is disconnecting the batteries

It's so frustrating

23 minutes ago, system55 said:

The problem with the navigation lights is not in the keys. When you put the selector to off they still on. The only way to turn them off is disconnecting the batteries

It's so frustrating

Has the dealer put the newest software in the boat?

People tend to overthink things and work on the hardest thing when it ends up being something stupid simple.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, system55 said:

It's so frustrating

Give them some time to work it out. Boats are hand-built and s*** happens. Plenty of people have G23s that need warranty repairs for problems they don't understand. It happens. Be patient.

• Like 3

I have a meeting with the dealer. I think you are probably right the software may have a problem. Perhaps with a simple upgrade will fix. I have a lot of info to debate with the dealer. But again.¡¡ if you buy a Porsche 911 is normal that it fail ? Never hear that. :(

1 hour ago, system55 said:

It's so frustrating

why would you disconnect the batteries, why not turn the battery switch off.  If that did not work, might be in that switch.

thats one of the problems, the dealer has already change the selector o switch. in off position with the boat totaly shut down and the keys in your pocket. the dam lights still on

8 minutes ago, system55 said:

thats one of the problems, the dealer has already change the selector o switch. in off position with the boat totaly shut down and the keys in your pocket. the dam lights still on

Sounds like they found the problem...

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, system55 said:

then the power wire for the nav lights is tied into (or mistakenly attached as) the auto bilge power wire which is "hot" no matter what position the battery selector switch is.  That should not have been that difficult to diagnose.

where are you located system?  Are you in US?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, system55 said:

I have a meeting with the dealer. I think you are probably right the software may have a problem. Perhaps with a simple upgrade will fix. I have a lot of info to debate with the dealer. But again.¡¡ if you buy a Porsche 911 is normal that it fail ? Never hear that. :(

Any automotive factory is highly automated, unbelievably well financially backed and has an army of engineers. Boats are 90% all hand made parts assembled by humans.

48 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

There is a MASSIVE difference between the manufacturing process on ANY boat vs a car, not matter the brand.

I know that it's easy to compare the costs, but it's just not the same. I've toured the BMW plant in South Carolina and I've toured the Malibu plant in Tennessee. COMPLETELY different ballgame. Not even close.

:thumbup:

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, system55 said:

It's so frustrating

Do you need any more friends? A 2016 g23 and m235....:)

Funny my 2015 22 vlx with 195 hours never had a glitch.  I am not saying Malibu is perfect but there are also plenty of Malibus out there with trouble free performance.

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

There is a MASSIVE difference between the manufacturing process on ANY boat vs a car, not matter the brand.

I know that it's easy to compare the costs, but it's just not the same. I've toured the BMW plant in South Carolina and I've toured the Malibu plant in Tennessee. COMPLETELY different ballgame. Not even close.

Beg to differ in a way.. but most part agree with your statement..

First off.. he picked the most reliable sports car out there to compare against.... 

Now lets go with other big ticket cars that are problematic... Mercedes.. Ferrari.. Maserati.. Jaguar (don't know if they still have their glitches but they were known for electrical and mechanical issues)... plus more 

Even my Ducati was a pain with wiring issues... 

And then to compare it to a Porsche when in 2000 - 2005 they had major engine problems associated with the IMS bearing that basically destroyed your engine... and we are not talking at high mileage.. usually less than 40,000 miles.

Yes, having a problem with a new toy sucks.... but it happens with all makes and toys (cars, boats, atvs, etc..) I have had my 23 LSV for 7 years now with no issues (due to manufacturing... can't count a hydro-locked engine due to an aftermarket piggy backed bag bursting on Malibu) and 75,000 miles on my 911 with no issues...  But my Ducati almost burnt the house down... 

Have a friend with a Supra... 2 years old... Transmission is acting up... transmission is not manufactured by Supra... but Supra won't perform the warranty work due to dealer did not provide the maintenance on the boat... Another friends boat (not a Malibu) has been in and out of shop for a glitch that has not been resolved and now a cracked ballast tank... 

Hopefully you have good dealer support and will fix the problem.

• Like 1

I had the meeting with the dealer. Amazing client service. I told them every idea in this topic. We coincide in some. They are going to change selector. Regulator. Bateríes and reload software. They will check if the nav light are connected properly.

Hope thus will fix the boat.

And.. yes I made a bad comparison with the cars but it's a expensive machine I has to work flawless.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, system55 said:

I had the meeting with the dealer. Amazing client service. I told them every idea in this topic. We coincide in some. They are going to change selector. Regulator. Bateríes and reload software. They will check if the nav light are connected properly.

Hope thus will fix the boat.

And.. yes I made a bad comparison with the cars but it's a expensive machine I has to work flawless.

Thanks

Knowing a little bit about others on the forum just makes it all the more interesting.  Would you be comfortable sharing a photo of your boats?  Both of the boats you mention are pretty exotic and it would be great to see them in action.   Maybe let us know where you boat, whether it is the name of a lake or just the region?       There are people on this forum from all over.  There used to be a guy from the Netherlands or somewhere like that had his Malibu moored to one of those cool canal houseboats.  There are lots of posts from cool people in the Outback and also from Canada.    If you can't or feel you want to remain anonymous, I get it. 

Edited by Bozboat