Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15/40 or 25/40 oil?

About to go get engine oil to do a change. I see some say 15/40 and some say 25/40... what's best? Good to use Rotella? Also what about the vdrive? It needs 15/40 rotella correct? 

9 minutes ago, triscadek said:

About to go get engine oil to do a change. I see some say 15/40 and some say 25/40... what's best? Good to use Rotella? Also what about the vdrive? It needs 15/40 rotella correct? 

Your manual looks like it calls for 15/40, I used Rotella 15/40 for years with no issues.  If you have a Walter's vdrive then you should use SAE30, if it's a ZF hurth vdrive then it says to use Dexron II, III or Mercon

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_1994_2003.pdf

38 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Your manual looks like it calls for 15/40, I used Rotella 15/40 for years with no issues.  If you have a Walter's vdrive then you should use SAE30, if it's a ZF hurth vdrive then it says to use Dexron II, III or Mercon

http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_1994_2003.pdf

On a side note, somewhere I recall being told that you should/must use non-detergent SAE30, which is not so simple to get sometimes. If anyone knows who/why that would be in my brain or is important I'd appreciate a refresher.  Maybe @Engine Nut can clue us in.  Having gone back and taken a look at my v-drive manual, I don't see that recommendation; instead it calls for any of the following:

• SAE 30 Heavy Duty Motor Oil
  • Exxon Spartan EP-68 Gear Oil
  • APG-80 Gear Oil

It also includes a warning: "DO NOT USE SAE 80 MOTOR OIL, OR MULTI-GRADE OILS SUCH AS 10W-30 OR 10W-40"

Edited by formulaben

Okay so I'll snag some Rotella 15/40 for the engine. That seems solid. 

I do have the Walter V-Drive. I believe we topped it off once last year with Rotella. (Recommendation) this year I want to extract all oil and refill. 

So the only thing left in the air as of now is the Walter V-Drive oil. SAE 30 seems the way to go and easiest to obtain? And sorry,  my manuals are in the boat at the lake 60 miles away. This weekend is maintenance weekend. 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, formulaben said:

On a side note, somewhere I recall being told that you should/must use non-detergent SAE30, which is not so simple to get sometimes. If anyone knows who/why that would be in my brain or is important I'd appreciate a refresher. 

Non-detergent oils cling to surfaces better.  Good for applications where there is no oil pump.

3 hours ago, electricjohn said:

Non-detergent oils cling to surfaces better.  Good for applications where there is no oil pump.

Are detergent oils preferred in engines for some reason. Or, would it be better to alway's run non-detergent?

Steve B.

46 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Are detergent oils preferred in engines for some reason. Or, would it be better to alway's run non-detergent?

Steve B.

Oil with detergent is meant to be used with engines that have oil filters, the oil collects contaminants in the engine and then the filter cleans them out.  Non detergent oil is used in older engines, before they had filters.  The contaminants are left stuck to inside of the engine, but aren't pump into the bearings.