Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trading for a new boat. Need advice...

jason427

@Ronnie I understand your complaint and completely get it.  As such I have refrained from bringing the topic up.  However should it not be fair to answer questions posed by others?  

1 hour ago, jason427 said:

Whats your opinion on advantages/disadvantages of both if you have seen them or better yet surfed them?

Thanks,
Jason

PM sent

P.S. I also apologize for letting my PAID MEMBERSHIP expire.  That has been corrected.  

4 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@Ronnie I understand your complaint and completely get it.  As such I have refrained from bringing the topic up.  However should it not be fair to answer questions posed by others?  

PM sent

P.S. I also apologize for letting my PAID MEMBERSHIP expire.  That has been corrected.  

Same here. Just clicked "recurring" this time.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Well, I can't tell you the difference in the two boats because I'm not a Centurion fan. 

I'm just giving the guys that are recommending a different boat brand than what you are actually looking for a hard time. :Tease3: Most of them forget that this is a Malibu enthusiasts website and we allow other boat brand enthusiasts to be here. When you have Non Supporting Members here recommending other brands, it just rubs me the wrong way a bit. Kind of like the other brand sales guy that bashes the boat you have.

You are free to discuss any boat you want here.

My apologies as well. My assumption was that the OP wanted more information than what hed get from his local Bu dealer which Im sure would tell him M235, 25LSV, 24MXZ. 22MXZ, 23LSV, VLX, VTX and would ultimately tell him if he weighted it correctly he could surf a response.

If he really like someone at Tommys and thats why hes buying malibu there then, really, why ask anyone else?  Take the dealers word.  Again, I assumed he was asking to get more info than what Wes at Tommys was gonna tell him.  

Sidenote - I own a malibu and love it.  It still runs great 12 years later and my dealer takes great care of me.  However, if I didnt wakeboard I might look to a different brand as malibu is the "most verasitle brand on the water."

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

PM sent

To be clear, he asked that question after the Ri was recommended by another member.

19 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

My apologies as well. My assumption was that the OP wanted more information than what hed get from his local Bu dealer which Im sure would tell him M235, 25LSV, 24MXZ. 22MXZ, 23LSV, VLX, VTX and would ultimately tell him if he weighted it correctly he could surf a response.

If he really like someone at Tommys and thats why hes buying malibu there then, really, why ask anyone else?  Take the dealers word.  Again, I assumed he was asking to get more info than what Wes at Tommys was gonna tell him.  

Sort of my point. He came to a Malibu site and asked about Malibu, not what other boat brands do other members recommend.

• Like 1

This is a very double edged sword!  If all you want is sunshine and rainbows the dealers can provide that.    

The ability to offer honest opinions is what makes TMC as good as it is.   Once it becomes sensored  it will lose  all credibility.    

I personally have used (2) 24MXZ as surf boats.   Very relevant to this topic.   However realizing this is a  MALIBU forum I temper my responses (now).  

This is a very slippery slope....

• Like 3

Most of us here ultimately side towards Malibu here, but the frank discussion on Bu and other brands on here without petty "mine is bigger than yours" type arguments is an aspect I really enjoy about TMC.  

To the OP, 22MXZ and 23LSV is where'd I would start to look given your criteria.  The 23LSV may not be the baddest wave out there, but it certainly gets the job done with great styling, plenty of room, and plenty of creature comforts.  

36 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

This is a very double edged sword!  If all you want is sunshine and rainbows the dealers can provide that.    

The ability to offer honest opinions is what makes TMC as good as it is.   Once it becomes sensored  it will lose  all credibility.    

I personally have used (2) 24MXZ as surf boats.   Very relevant to this topic.   However realizing this is a  MALIBU forum I temper my responses (now).  

This is a very slippery slope....

As I said earlier, you can talk about any boat here. Nobody is censoring anybody. When the OP asks about a Malibu on a Malibu enthuiasist's site, personally, I take offense if another brand owner tries to sell them on another brand, especially when he didn't ask about that. IMO, I want Malibu to prosper. I'm not about to send a potential customer to another brand. I'm brand loyal like that, take it for what it is. When I go to the boat shows, I don't even visit the other guys booths. I'm not interested. I bleed Malibu and they offer me everything I need in a tow boat. The day this website goes to an "All Brands" site will be my last day here. 

My response to someone looking for a boat to surf exclusively, is immediately RXi. Maybe a SA400 after that. I think giving the OP any suggestions for a Malibu as a surf only boat is doing him an injustice. I refrained from responding but I don't think the perp was out of line. 

6 hours ago, isellacuras said:

My response to someone looking for a boat to surf exclusively, is immediately RXi. Maybe a SA400 after that. I think giving the OP any suggestions for a Malibu as a surf only boat is doing him an injustice. I refrained from responding but I don't think the perp was out of line. 

I've surfed the Supra SE 550 with auto-wake and wasn't overly impressed by the wake.  It was nice and had decent push, but I still prefer my Surfgate wave.  I'm not sure if its the plate systems or what, but they just don't feel the same as a surfgate wave does.

21 hours ago, Ronnie said:
7 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know what manufacturer RXi is.

I will most likely stay Axis/Malibu because of the relationship I have with dealer. The wave is pretty awesome in my T22 when loaded up so if a T23 or Malibu 23LSV/22MXZ/24MXZ is better than what I have now I will be pretty happy. Just not sure what would be best of those?

Thanks again,

Jason

Edited by jason427
7 hours ago, isellacuras said:

This reads like you would never recommend a Malibu for surfing but a 23LSV or 24MXZ is going to be fantastic for 95% of people looking for a surf boat. I also like that we can talk about other brands on this site since the other brand forums are lousy but still think the 23LSV is the best deal out there for most folks.

I really like the Ri wave too, but there's more to the purchase than just the wave since the price point, dealer and ease of adjustment for wave settings come into play.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, jason427 said:

If you were happy with your t22 wave, then it would be hard to beat a 23LSV.  The wave will be a bit better than T22, plus the 23LSV is awesome for resale.  The 24MXZ is a nice boat, but you take a beating at resale.  Plus your initial investment for 23LSV will be significantly less.  

Yes I can demo any of the Malibu but it is a bit of a drive. I was hoping to narrow it down to two boats possibly.

MXZ 24 is a stretch length wise but I can make it work at my boathouse. 

Jason

Grab a wetsuit, or tell your dealer to bring one for you, and head there with the understanding they'll have the 23LSV and 24MXZ in the parking lot ready to demo.

You gotta demo before dropping $100K+ on any boat, even if it's a drive.

• Like 3

If you're considering the upgrade for surf only, check out the 2017+ 24MXZ or 2017+ 22MXZ.  It's a completely new boat, hull, etc with an emphasis on surfing. 

Be wary of information on here that is comparing ones experience on the 24MXZ  to some other boat.  It's important to differentiate if they are talking about the Gen 1 boat (2016 and earlier) or the new Gen 2 (2017 and up).  

I assume if the OP is considering a 'new' boat, he'd be looking at 2017+ models.  

Go demo, stick with a dealer who will bend over backwards for you....regardless of the boat you choose.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, NAW said:

If you're considering the upgrade for surf only, check out the 2017+ 24MXZ or 2017+ 22MXZ.  It's a completely new boat, hull, etc with an emphasis on surfing. 

Be wary of information on here that is comparing ones experience on the 24MXZ  to some other boat.  It's important to differentiate if they are talking about the Gen 1 boat (2016 and earlier) or the new Gen 2 (2017 and up).  

I assume if the OP is considering a 'new' boat, he'd be looking at 2017+ models.  

Go demo, stick with a dealer who will bend over backwards for you....regardless of the boat you choose.

Totally agree with NAW.  I demoed a SA400, G21, X23, and owned a '14 23LSV and I decided on the 22mxz.  It's a totally different wave than my 23LSV and the others.  It didn't have quite the lip, but it had more 'push' and was wider.  To me it seemed much easier to do a 360 than my 23LSV sacked out and the MXZ only had PNP.  Granted it's a heavier boat, with bigger stock ballast.

That being said...Centurian has a GREAT wave according to anyone who's been behind one.  My wife and I saw them at the boat show and she thought it was cheap.  It's not, but it's not the same as a Malibu/Supra/Mastercraft which are all about the same quality wise IMO on the interior.  It's a step below.  We also wakeboard a little bit and the MXZ was as strong as my 23LSV.

In the end as everyone says...get inside all of them and then demo your top 2-3 choices to see what you like best on the water.  (and what fits your budget)

TK