Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Cazan

2018 Ford Expedition

Recommended Posts

Cazan

http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/2018-ford-expedition-packs-everything-ford-knows-one-suv/

 

A lot to like about this redesign...I'm in the market for a large SUV...Ford stepped up its game.  I'm definatly going to be interested this fall to drive one.  Still waiting for Toyota to redesign the Sequioa...rumor has it will be in 2018/2019  Thoughts on the Ford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

They had a LONG way to go to catch up to the current GM crop of full size SUVs.  Will be interesting to hear more about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cazan
3 minutes ago, RyanB said:

They had a LONG way to go to catch up to the current GM crop of full size SUVs.  Will be interesting to hear more about it.

I agree with that.  I looked at a 16 a few months ago and I was not impressed.  I hated the looks, the interior was dated and it wasn't that comfortable.  I think the redesign looks good inside and out.  The 3.5 #s are impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martinarcher

That's going to be a pretty killer truck IMO.  Looking forward to seeing one in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pauley71

Evan if they match the Tahoe/Suburban, the price will be similar. If so, I'd by the GM because they hold the title for highest residual value.  Can't throw away money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
26 minutes ago, Cazan said:

I agree with that.  I looked at a 16 a few months ago and I was not impressed.  I hated the looks, the interior was dated and it wasn't that comfortable.  I think the redesign looks good inside and out.  The 3.5 #s are impressive. 

I drove a '15 Expedition, and I thought that my '11 Yukon Denali had a better interior and better ride handling (and I am not in love with my interior).  For those that want to feel the power, the EcoBoost will be intriguing, but the 6.2 still has it beat in HP for sure, and maybe torque and almost certainly MPG.  Personally, I would still be more interested in an EcoDiesel type engine in a full size SUV over either the EcoBoost or the 6.2.

Ford does a great job on their trucks, but has continued to swing and miss with their full size SUVs.  Maybe this will finally be their magic bullet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cazan
28 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Evan if they match the Tahoe/Suburban, the price will be similar. If so, I'd by the GM because they hold the title for highest residual value.  Can't throw away money. 

The Tahoe yes...the burb not so much.  That's why I like the Sequoia so much, high quality and high residual but it lacks some other stuff. From towing standpoint the Expedition is superior IMO over the 5.3 Chevy

Edited by Cazan
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cazan
7 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I drove a '15 Expedition, and I thought that my '11 Yukon Denali had a better interior and better ride handling (and I am not in love with my interior).  For those that want to feel the power, the EcoBoost will be intriguing, but the 6.2 still has it beat in HP for sure, and maybe torque and almost certainly MPG.  Personally, I would still be more interested in an EcoDiesel type engine in a full size SUV over either the EcoBoost or the 6.2.

Ford does a great job on their trucks, but has continued to swing and miss with their full size SUVs.  Maybe this will finally be their magic bullet.

That 6.2 comes at a price though.  The 3.5 Ecoboost is standard.  I too am interested in the diesel option if they decide to go that route.  Hopefully the new EPA under Trump will loosen the diesel emission standards a tad...I wish they would bring the Excursion back with diesel option...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

Am I the only one who thinks it looks identical to the GM?? Besides the front end with the ford logo it's basically the same. An average, uneducated person probably wouldn't notice the difference from the side angle. 30A55087-60F0-4538-A74C-C7ED18430BF8_zps6C3F914F-F48E-4DB9-A48D-EE5F711D0233_zps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
7 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it looks identical to the GM?? Besides the front end with the ford logo it's basically the same. An average, uneducated person probably wouldn't notice the difference from the side angle. 30A55087-60F0-4538-A74C-C7ED18430BF8_zps6C3F914F-F48E-4DB9-A48D-EE5F711D0233_zps

Was thinking the same thing, was scrolling down to post that actually! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CumminsBu

Also looks like a large Flex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cazan
1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

Was thinking the same thing, was scrolling down to post that actually! 

 

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it looks identical to the GM?? Besides the front end with the ford logo it's basically the same. An average, uneducated person probably wouldn't notice the difference from the side angle. 30A55087-60F0-4538-A74C-C7ED18430BF8_zps6C3F914F-F48E-4DB9-A48D-EE5F711D0233_zps

They do look very similar...I actually think the Ford looks better than the GM from these pictures. Def has a bit of Flex in it too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falko

You can only do so much with a large SUV. Ford combines a couple different styling cues from their other cars to get this, Flex meets Explorer and has a fat kid type of thing. But I think it works well, are they still doing a short and long wheel base?

I'd like to see how long these hold up. I still have a bad taste lingering from my Expy experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cazan
12 hours ago, Falko said:

You can only do so much with a large SUV. Ford combines a couple different styling cues from their other cars to get this, Flex meets Explorer and has a fat kid type of thing. But I think it works well, are they still doing a short and long wheel base?

I'd like to see how long these hold up. I still have a bad taste lingering from my Expy experience.

What happened?  That's my hold up...I currently own two Toyota's that have been flawless.  I'm afraid I'll regret the Ford if I drop 50k on one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falko
11 hours ago, Cazan said:

What happened?  That's my hold up...I currently own two Toyota's that have been flawless.  I'm afraid I'll regret the Ford if I drop 50k on one...

The corrosion resistant aluminum hatch, rusted.

Spark plug issue, mine never blew out but holy sacred cow were they a pain to change.

Ignition coils gone at 40k. Eventually replaced with Accel coils, never had another issue.

The IRS seals leaked, a lot. Had them changed twice, still leaked.

Speaking of leaking, the sunroof drains clogged about every 6 months. I had to open the sunroof and pour hot water and compressed air through the lines twice a year. If you didn't, the stains in the head liner would remind you.

The leather seating surfaces* cracked and discolored after 2 years of use even though I used conditioner on them. (*leather seating surfaces, I had the EB version which was supposed to be top line?, only parts of the front two rows of seats were leather. The leather didn't hold up well, the tan coloring disappeared to an unfinished looking mess. The vinyl comprising the remainder of the seats cracked at the bend points. The entire third row seat was pleather. I will say though the ventilated seats in that truck were the best I've experienced)

The frame and body rusted into non-existence. At 8 years old and only 80k miles, the front frame supports that hold the nose/radiator in place were essentially gone.  I kicked the snow off my boots on the step boards at 6yo and a big chunk of slush and ice fell from under the door sill. No, that's not ice, that was the roll pan on the side of the truck fell off, well what was left of its rusted carcass.

And the final straw was the cam timer or whatever it is called started going out at 80k. This thing had religious 5k synthetic oil changes, I thought I'd get more out of it, much more. So between all of that, and some bad relations with the dealer over some of this and other issues with the truck, it was time to move on, and by move on I mean run away swiftly.

The truck drove really nice, rode really well. But it handled like a '79 Lincoln, it weighed a lot, and wasn't a race car so I didn't expect it to be. Towed the boats nicely, towed the 'bu back from IL to MA without a hiccup. It just didn't hold together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jk13

@Falko what year was yours? I had a pretty basic '03 (new square body) with leather and the 4.6l and the only recurring issue I had was the rusting aluminum hatch and an air bag fault, which I was thankful for. Handled and drove great on the coil spring suspension (was your EB air ride?), brakes were better than any GM 1/2 ton we've owned, and even though it was very plastic-y inside, which was the industry norm back then just like the vinyl seat parts you mentioned, it was pretty comfortable until the day it was forcibly shortened in a head-on collision.

New one looks great IMO. If they make a short one I'd look at it if the time came.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaciche

Yes, the new expedition does look like the GM SUV's. The GM's are selling well, so I'm not surprised. I'd buy one with a 3.5 eco. I've driven my share of this gen yukons/escalades/tahoes/suburbans as rental cars when I travel for work and I must say that they are comfortable, get great mpg for the vehicle size and weight, and the ergonomics are awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Falko
15 minutes ago, jk13 said:

@Falko what year was yours? I had a pretty basic '03 (new square body) with leather and the 4.6l and the only recurring issue I had was the rusting aluminum hatch and an air bag fault, which I was thankful for. Handled and drove great on the coil spring suspension (was your EB air ride?), brakes were better than any GM 1/2 ton we've owned, and even though it was very plastic-y inside, which was the industry norm back then just like the vinyl seat parts you mentioned, it was pretty comfortable until the day it was forcibly shortened in a head-on collision.

New one looks great IMO. If they make a short one I'd look at it if the time came.

Mine was an '04. It was an Eddie Bauer, 5.4, 4x4. No air ride. And you are dead on with the brakes, they were incredible, my favorite part of the truck, can't believe I forgot to mention them. I drive an '04 Avalanche right now and while I like the drive train better, the brakes are NOTHING compared to what that Expy had. And surprisingly, with the amount of plastic in the Expy, mine never rattled or became an issue. The Expy was my wife's car, she now has an Armada and likes it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wakesonthesnake

I like my 12' Expy a lot.  I have replaced a power steering hose and that is it.  It is boxier and rougher than the GM's, but I love the way it pulls straight down the road and the brakes are spot on.  I will definitely consider a new one especially with the powertrain they are offering.  I will say I did like my Tahoe and all the other GM's I have been in but the towing is no comparison for a full size SUV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abattle10

Am I the only one surprised by one engine option? The 3.5 eco has great power for towing but you would think they would offer the 5.0 or the 2.7 eco like they do in the F150. Sure we all love the thought of the biggest baddest motor for towing but a lot of full size SUVs out there are kid haulers that could benefit from the smaller sticker price and better MPGs of the other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85 Barefoot
9 hours ago, wakesonthesnake said:

I like my 12' Expy a lot.  I have replaced a power steering hose and that is it.  It is boxier and rougher than the GM's, but I love the way it pulls straight down the road and the brakes are spot on.  I will definitely consider a new one especially with the powertrain they are offering.  I will say I did like my Tahoe and all the other GM's I have been in but the towing is no comparison for a full size SUV.

420 hp and 460 ft of torque say hello from GM...:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wakesonthesnake
10 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

420 hp and 460 ft of torque say hello from GM...:lol:

I don't care how fast I can go if I am in a constant state of pucker.  I much prefer steering and braking over straight line power.  I do have to say I have not pulled with a GM newer than a 2014 so maybe they have improved in these areas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...