Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you buy a boat that has been split?

ah2oguy

If it passes an inspection I wouldn't have an issue with buying it.

Been in the business a long time and know how this is done and put back together. Once properly done it will be at least as good as new and in some cases even better.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

not a chance if it is the same price as a similar boat.

does it still sit level in the water? does it weigh the same as before the repairs (that necessitated the split).

I personally know a couple who had factory repair done to their boat that involved the factory doing major fiberglass work on the bottom half of the boat...the boat has never been the same. 

edit: I am surprised the seller would even mention it...unless you will notice things later that will make you wonder wth.

Edited by Chia
ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, Chia said:

not a chance if it is the same price as a similar boat.

does it still sit level in the water? does it weigh the same as before the repairs (that necessitated the split).

I personally know a couple who had factory repair done to their boat that involved the factory doing major fiberglass work on the bottom half of the boat...the boat has never been the same. 

edit: I am surprised the seller would even mention it...unless you will notice things later that will make you wonder wth.

That I can understand if you are doing major glass work on one half of the boat. But as stated before these boats are designed to be in two or even three pieces then put together.

As stated above if the factory is doing it and warranting it as any other new boat I would have a problem knowing there was a repair done. Although would expect a discount from the seller depending on the reason for why it needed the repair. 

• Like 2

Separating the hull and deck is no big deal. Many/most makers glue/seal the joint using 3M 5200 or a similar agent. Then they screw it.  I like it better when they use nuts and bolts instead of screws.  

8 hours ago, Chia said:

It's not the split you need to worry about, it's why they had to split it in the first place...IE: what did they fix.

When a boat is brought to the factory it leaves not only fixed but overfixed as it had an issue to begin with.

With good manufacturers of course.

1 hour ago, Chia said:

That may be your experience but it has not been everyone's experience.

This topic is old enough that I am sure the OP has made their decision, making the rest of this discussion moot.

But 14 hours ago this thread was relevant when you posted? Good to know it's no longer debatable... 

• Like 1

Well I did convenience my son to pass on the boat as I don't feel like it would be a good investment.   I do see alot of you wouldnt have a problem with a Split boat which I respect.

I just don't like the idea of the factory taking the tower off the boat unplugging all the wires, removing seats, Stereo Equipment and then splitting the boat only to put it all back together again.  Don't think the screws would hold as well and there would be a lot of rattling going on.

Really appericate all the feedback and perhaps I am being to over cautious. 

On 2/11/2017 at 3:53 PM, ah2oguy said:

Well I did convenience my son to pass on the boat as I don't feel like it would be a good investment.   I do see alot of you wouldnt have a problem with a Split boat which I respect.

I just don't like the idea of the factory taking the tower off the boat unplugging all the wires, removing seats, Stereo Equipment and then splitting the boat only to put it all back together again.  Don't think the screws would hold as well and there would be a lot of rattling going on.

Really appericate all the feedback and perhaps I am being to over cautious. 

Over-cautious for sure.

I've pulled a split A24 through about 50 double-ups and can confidently say that it felt as good as new.

• Like 2