Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you buy a boat that has been split?

ah2oguy

Alright I am looking for everyone's feedback on this topic along with a short explanation of why or why not.

Here are the details I know at this time:

My son is looking at purchasing a 2 year old ski boat (not saying the brand on purpose) and it was  split (dismantled and then top half cut away from the bottom half)  by the manufacturer due to warranty work and is claimed to be in perfect working order now.

Would you have any concerns?

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Was it done at the factory?  Will they give him an as-new hull warranty?

Yes the repair was done at the manufacturers factory

Unsure of the Hull Warranty

I would be very, very hesitant to buy one that was taken apart and put back together, regardless of who did it.  Just seems like too many chances for hidden QC issues that could pop up later.  I'd need more than a hull warranty, I'd need a warranty covering electrical and mechanical parts as well.  Things just don't seem to go together as well the second time, if you know what I mean.

Curious why it needed such an extensive repair. Think there are too many nice boats out there to choose from vs one that has had such an extensive repair, unless the price is fantastic and the warranty is lifetime and in writing!

Just now, ah2oguy said:

Price is the same as any other 2 year old boat. No super deal he just likes the color and lay out.

Should have a decent discount, I'd pass at market price for a non rebuilt hull.

• Like 3

On another forum, I know a guy that had to send his boat back to the factory, and they did the same thing.  He kept it for several years after (5 maybe?) and never had any issues.  Every person on this site has a boat that had the top and bottom bonded together from the factory.

I am kind of surprised that the seller disclosed the info.  Maybe was the right thing to do, but it sure isn't going to help him sell it.

For market price, I'd pass. I wouldn't be so afraid since it was done at the factory, and if it had a full warranty.

Theres plenty of boats out there fs, patience is key when boat shopping.

The way I look at this is like buying a Corvette.   What if Chevy told you they had to cut your car in half to make a repair but it would be put back together correctly?

You spend $$$$$$ and it should be correct from the beginning. Do you think the factory is going to tell you they gouged the fiberglass when cracking it open or perhaps they didnt cut a straight line and now you might have voids or weak spots once they seal it back up? and who is to say the top deck is aligned with the bottom properly?

I personally dont like the idea of them taking the boat apart, cutting the fiberglass open, making repairs, sealing the fiberglass back up and re-assembling the boat.

I dont think boats were designed to be split once sealed the first time.

Just the way I am looking at this as I discuss it with my son

http://www.malibuboats.com/why-malibu/quality.html

From the above link:

"Malibu’s deck and hull are chemically bonded before mechanical fasteners are added. This improves strength, reduces vibration and eliminates water entering between the joints. Most companies only screw the deck and hull together. This process proves our commitment to building a boat that will last for decades."

Me, I'd want to know little more about the separation-and-repair-and-rebonding process before I made a purchase decision.  

Make an offer that is good to you and perhaps walk away with a good boat at a steal of a price since most are scared of it. I would not have an issue. With a factory repair they have jigs and measure with precision. No issue that i see. 

2 hours ago, ah2oguy said:

The way I look at this is like buying a Corvette.   What if Chevy told you they had to cut your car in half to make a repair but it would be put back together correctly?

You spend $$$$$$ and it should be correct from the beginning. Do you think the factory is going to tell you they gouged the fiberglass when cracking it open or perhaps they didnt cut a straight line and now you might have voids or weak spots once they seal it back up? and who is to say the top deck is aligned with the bottom properly?

I personally dont like the idea of them taking the boat apart, cutting the fiberglass open, making repairs, sealing the fiberglass back up and re-assembling the boat.

I disagree with this thought process. It's more like a car getting a 1/4 panel replaced than being cut in half. A good shop can do a repair to be as good as new. On the same note, I wouldn't buy a newer car with a replaced 1/4 panel either, unless of course there were a deep discount. 

Edited by isellacuras

We sent a new Axis back to the factory last summer to have the hull replaced (it had cracked badly & was covered under warranty). It came back with a few little issues, ie; subwoofer wire pinched between the dash/floor, bow ballast not hooked up, adhesive not applied consistently around the rub rail. We ironed those things out without much trouble and I'd expect the boat to be fine for years to come.

I had a neighbor who's X-Star was sent back to the factory TWICE. It had osmosis bubbles in it. First time they resprayed the gelcoat. Second time the entire hull was replaced. The boat is owned by someone else now, but I never heard of it having more problems.

The bottom line is some boats have issues right from the factory. If their taken care of correctly, the boat should be good. Knowing the boats history would be good for a mechanic to know if he was inspecting the boat.

A friends '09 Supra had a lower hull issue (bubbles). SC honored their lifetime hull warranty, took it back, split it and rehulled it no problem then or since and the hull is still warrantied! Pretty much everything in these boats is plug in and play when it comes to electronics so a major electrical issue is unlikely. IIWM, given 2 boats of equal layout I would definately choose the unsplit boat over the repaired boat. Bottom line is you just don't know if there will be any problem(s) and I would be looking to offset my potential loss in the future with a reasonable price reduction if I went that route.

If the repair was done at the factory, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It was put back together by humans, just like the first time. I would think there is just as much likelihood of an issue, as the first time it was put together. I have helped split a boat before (replacing a hard tank on an X46), and there is really nothing to it. Its about 2 hours worth unhooking electrical bulkhead connectors, steering cables, some hoses, and unplugging some top deck accessories....... And then its about 3-4 hours worth of removing rubrail, supporting the deck, and heating the seam to separate the halves, while very carefully making sure you have everything unhooked from each half correctly.

I would be far more concerned about the actual "why".......  Why did they have to split it?

I also want to know what the boat is now........ Mostly because a buddy of mine is looking at a 2015 Prostar that just came back from the factory. However, he was told that it wasn't there for any work. They told him something like "The customer lives near there, and so he brought it to the factory for the shipper to pick it up and bring it to us"....... Which I found a little fishy. It has me wondering if this is the same boat :whistle:

Edited by TenTwentyOne
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, ah2oguy said:

What makes you say it's not designed that way? The construction of the boat is designed to be 2 pieces. It's impossible to mold a boat in 1 piece. Physically impossible. So it's molded in 2 pieces (top deck and bottom hull), then it's joined together with a glue and riveted. Yeah it sucks to get through the glue because it's insanely strong, but it's not insurmountable by any stretch. Especially when done by the manufacturer.

So really, t's not "cut in half". It's disassembled at a joint where it was previously assembled. They may need to cut through some glue to do it, but that's different than cutting through a whole panel. When it's put back together, it's assembled the same way that a brand new boat is assembled. They clean off the old glue by cutting or grinding it away, then they re-bond it and rivet it. Again, EXACT SAME process that is used for new boats.

I've actually seen a 1969 40' Hatteras split, pulled apart, restored and re-assembled.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, boardjnky4 said:

What makes you say it's not designed that way? The construction of the boat is designed to be 2 pieces. It's impossible to mold a boat in 1 piece. Physically impossible. So it's molded in 2 pieces (top deck and bottom hull), then it's joined together with a glue and riveted. Yeah it sucks to get through the glue because it's insanely strong, but it's not insurmountable by any stretch. Especially when done by the manufacturer.

So really, t's not "cut in half". It's disassembled at a joint where it was previously assembled. They may need to cut through some glue to do it, but that's different than cutting through a whole panel. When it's put back together, it's assembled the same way that a brand new boat is assembled. They clean off the old glue by cutting or grinding it away, then they re-bond it and rivet it. Again, EXACT SAME process that is used for new boats.

I've actually seen a 1969 40' Hatteras split, pulled apart, restored and re-assembled.

"I've actually seen a 1969 40' Hatteras split, pulled apart, restored and re-assembled."

These boats get split all the time for transportation reasons. Friend of mine chose not to have his split and had to shipped through the Panama Canal

I have split one of my boats before to repair stringers and floor boards.

I know a friend whose boat (not saying brand) is in shop for a tank repair... and yep it is being split

Most Mastercrafts in 2002-20?? have to be split if any repairs are needed to hard tanks. 

This is not an uncommon practice.. but.. what was the warranty work.. and is there a warranty on the warranty ;) 

Just now, kerpluxal said:

"I've actually seen a 1969 40' Hatteras split, pulled apart, restored and re-assembled."

These boats get split all the time for transportation reasons. Friend of mine chose not to have his split and had to shipped through the Panama Canal

I have split one of my boats before to repair stringers and floor boards.

I know a friend whose boat (not saying brand) is in shop for a tank repair... and yep it is being split

Most Mastercrafts in 2002-20?? have to be split if any repairs are needed to hard tanks. 

This is not an uncommon practice.. but.. what was the warranty work.. and is there a warranty on the warranty ;) 

Glad to hear someone else had the same experiences I have!

s*** happens. I know that a small percentage of Axis boats have had hull issues. I've personally seen a boat with the stringer system separated from the hull. So it can be a number of issues. All of the major players in the wake boat realm have lifetime hull warranties. That doesn't change just because a repair has been made.

@ah2oguy:  You might give the factory a call and inquire to see if they remember or have records on the repair, the HIN number and a description should provide enough information for them to either go through the records or remember the repair.  Given how few boats are actually produced per year, a hull split for warranty work is probably something they may remember doing and be able to provide some insight for you.  You can also inquire on status of warranty at that time.

2 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Glad to hear someone else had the same experiences I have!

s*** happens. I know that a small percentage of Axis boats have had hull issues. I've personally seen a boat with the stringer system separated from the hull. So it can be a number of issues. All of the major players in the wake boat realm have lifetime hull warranties. That doesn't change just because a repair has been made.

It was in an older boat (1990s) and got a great deal on it.. after 2 seasons I learned why.. it was a flood victim boat and the stringers and floor boards had completely rotted out (remember the days of wood in boats ;) ) Well... I had fun and 1 year project.. took rub rail off, drilled out rivets.. pulled top half from bottom half in garage and hoisted it from ceiling so I would not have to remove wiring and cables... put all composite back in and spent way to much money on the boat... but I had a fun time doing it... however I will never do it again ;)

Edited by kerpluxal