Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PSS Shaft Seal ??'s

I wrecked my hardware this weekend, so while I'm replacing my prop/strut/shaft I thought I'd upgrade to one of the cool dripless carbon graphite shaft seals. Now that I've ordered one from Elbert's I look at a .pdf of the installation instructions and it talks about hooking up a cooling water line for high speed application - speeds above 12 MPH. Does the water line really need to be hooked up for our boats?

Seems like I read a post once about someone not thinking this type of seal was good due to catastrophic failure. Can somebody give me a warm fuzzy before I install this thing? I'm very tempted to send it back and install the Gortex packing. Any thoughts.

My 06 RLXi cam from the factory with the dripless shaft seal. It does have a cooling water line hooked up to it. It seems to work fine and bilge stays dry.

My 05 Rlxi has the shaft seal with the water line. I don't think this is the same thing as the PSS seal. My understanding is that a PSS failure would be catastrophic, but I don't know how likely/unlikely this would be. I installed the Gore GFO packing on my 01 Rlx and was pleased with the results. The GFO is a heck of a lot cheaper too.

One of my buddies had to pull the V-drive out of his 2000 Santera due to an oil leak. While he was there, he installed the positive seal with the cooling line & he is impressed that his bilge stays dry - no problems yet, but this is his first season with them. Since manufacturers offer it as an option, I'm assuming catastophic failures are unlikely ?

My 06 RLXi cam from the factory with the dripless shaft seal. It does have a cooling water line hooked up to it. It seems to work fine and bilge stays dry.

Have you traced the line to see where the cooling water tap is located. I was thinking that if I tap downstream of the RW pump the seal may see too much pressure and leak. Any thoughts?

We just went through the same thing (except mechanic installed it all) and ours has a water line into it and our bilge area is dry and clean!!! Get the dripless system, its easier, drier, and I swear its works better! I have pics if you need them.

Have you traced the line to see where the cooling water tap is located. I was thinking that if I tap downstream of the RW pump the seal may see too much pressure and leak. Any thoughts?

I can't recall where the water source is but I'll try and take a look tonight to see where it's installed.

jsp550,

I found a great tie point for the seal flush/cooling water. I used the 1/8" NPT connection at the transmission cooler drain. It comes out the bottom, I installed a street ell and a hose barb and Malibu provided a hose loom for the 3/8" hose to be routed. You can't even see that anything was added to the motor compartment.

Thanks for your help.

My 05 Rlxi has the shaft seal with the water line. I don't think this is the same thing as the PSS seal. My understanding is that a PSS failure would be catastrophic, but I don't know how likely/unlikely this would be. I installed the Gore GFO packing on my 01 Rlx and was pleased with the results. The GFO is a heck of a lot cheaper too.

Yeah, I don't believe the PSS has the water line, BICBW. Tommy Boy® used to talk about a failure of something like the PSS being catastrophic--as in lots of water coming into the boat from underneath. Likelihood and actual physics might be interesting to know.

I do not have the Gore, unless the factory installed it. My boat came from the factory not dripping. Still doesn't drip, no problems in over 300 hours.

For aftermarket I swear by the PSS shaft seal. The low speed version has no water supply, the high speed version has a water feed line. The high speed is what is designed for it, but there are boats out there without the water feed that have thousands of hours on them.

Going new I just order the "water cooled shaft seal" (dripless) from Malibu.

Peter