Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stress crack repair

goodmatt78

Just picked up a new to me 05vlx.  The boat is in really good condition, but I noticed some stress cracking near the swim platform mounts.  A quick search shows these as fairly common.   Should I repair?  I'm afraid my ocd will make me repair it.  They appear cosmetic, as I can't feel them with my fingernail.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4ak0v1drwu29sa/20170204_214937.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8g24omv1wyf2ou/20170204_214952.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uqmbnyszpw64w2/20170204_215003.jpg?dl=0

Advice, thoughts?

Also...are there nuts on the back of the mounts?  How hard to access?

Edited by goodmatt78

I have them also. I am like you, my OCD always messes with my head. I just let them go and worry about the maintenance aspect now. The bolts are visible on mine. The upper ones "in my '10" are visible and potentially could rub a hole in something so I put a rubber cap on them just in case. The lower ones are out of sight so I left them alone. If you just have to go that route Spectrum gel coat repair is what I have used and recommend. Google the name and it will get you the contact info. The more you look, the more you will find.  My '10 has some very poor construction/assembly techniques used. Good luck. Bill

Your brackets look to be in amazingly good shape.  Most of that era have worn at the top and have a gap between the platform bracket and the plate on the hull.  Maybe the PO replaced them and the stress lines were a result of that.  I would inspect the inside of the upper bolts (should be visible) to make sure they have the correct washers.  Other than that leave as is and monitor.  For a place no one ever sees, trying to fix the gel coat might only cause problems with no real benefit.

Thanks all...the boat sat in a slip for most of its life and has never seen a slip.  I saw before and after photos from the dealer and it is amazing how much it cleaned up.  I have no idea if the mounts are original, but they are far better than the wedge plate and hull brackets.  Those look like anodes.  I am not quite sure what I will do with that yet.

I have a carpet panel on the inside on the transom.  I am not sure how to remove it and look....thoughts?  Also, what do proper washers look like?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pYmp5glaWBRk5qZnVydnRtcTg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-pYmp5glaWBLUpoTWZyY3JWcW8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

I have a carpet panel on the inside on the transom.  I am not sure how to remove it and look....thoughts?  Also, what do proper washers look like?

Just peel up the carpet a bit from the back wall and floor.  It'll lay right back over the hole.  The bolts are 1/2-13, and the washers are about 1.5" OD I think???  The nuts are on the inside of the transom.  Just look for any squished fiberglass around the washer.  If there is any then you know where your stress cracks came from - and time to get larger washers and monitor.

While you're in there look at the bottom of the little wells the bolts are in.  One of mine had a hole where bilge water would leak up into the well and then onto the locker floor.  I had the darnedest time figuring out why the carpet in one locker was always wet after surfing.  Sealed the bottom of the well with epoxy - no more water in the locker.

I was able to inspect to bolts and no washers, but a large square aluminum plate to distribute the load...then nuts.  They look original.  Any idea the torque value of I remove the mounts to repair the cracks?

15 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

I was able to inspect to bolts and no washers, but a large square aluminum plate to distribute the load...then nuts.  They look original.  Any idea the torque value of I remove the mounts to repair the cracks?

Gootentite.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
16 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Take a deep breath, let out the ocd air and then don't do anything.  Find a nice topside project like the stereo, lights, or ballast and forget about the lines under the platform that no one will ever see.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I have the same issue. Never even got the boat on the water yet. Just picked it up Saturday. I believe they happened on my 8 hr drive home because I didn't notice when I picked up the boat. Could also have been due to climbing on platform or ratcheting the tie downs too tight (used the tabs on the end of the swim platform mounts to tie down from). 

Anyway, I'm OCD and being this is my first boat I will likely fix them. Real bummer as it's gonna be $1500. Anyway, I hope that they don't come back. Once I get the boat to the lake it shouldn't have to go to the dealer too often unless I need warranty work. 

Edited by thejean

@thejean I thought your post was poking fun at me when I first read it.....haha. The exact same thing happened to me in January.  I worked on the boat for about 2 months and those stress cracks are the only thing I didn't fix.  I finally put her in the water tonight and even took my first set.  I originally was ocd about them, then I realized how common and most likely will return if repaired.

Enjoy the boat and see how you feel in the fall. Like me, you probably have way more stuff you need to buy with that $1500.

Edited by goodmatt78
8 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

@thejean I thought your post was poking fun at me when I first read it.....haha. The exact same thing happened to me in January.  I worked on the boat for about 2 months and those stress cracks are the only thing I didn't fix.  I finally put her in the water tonight and even took my first set.  I originally was ocd about them, then I realized how common and most likely will return if repaired.

Enjoy the boat and see how you feel in the fall. Like me, you probably have way more stuff you need to buy with that $1500.

That is a very good point! Thanks, I'll think on it. Although I kind of think of it as driving around in a Lamborghini with a bunch of cracks in the bumper. Just feels wrong... lol

We've seen gelcoat cracks lead to water intrusion & swelling of the fiberglass. It's not the kind of thing that happens quickly though, so you can watch them over the course of weeks or months to see if there are any changes.

I think these are different than the cracks on @thejeans boat.  Single cracks vs multiples. Being singles I'd just watch them to see if the cracks grow at all, you find more or any signs of swelling underneath the gelcoat.