Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in V drive

Hey guys...I've been trolling for a while now cause I usually find my solution in a search except for this time. I've got an 07 23 lsv and it's spent the last 3 months in Texas getting the uphostery replaced until I brought it back home to Oklahoma. I took the boat out yesterday and when I was draining everything back down I noticed the v drive oil was barely not on the stick and the fluid indicated that it had been mixing with water (strawberry milk coloring). How does water get in there and what could be my repair procedure? Thank you in advance. 

P.s. while it was at the Malibu dealership they drained it down before freezing hit. 

Edited by Sncbluegt

This is my concern as well. Normally if there is water introduction it'd be overfull but the fact that it's low AND has water is what has me concerned cause I don't see any evidence of leakage. May just drain the fluid and replace and monitor it. Is there a way to drain those other than a suction gun? 

If the VD was submerged and the vent was faulty potentially a point of water intrusion. The VD cooling line runs through the top of the VD under the VD dip stick plate held on with 6 bolts. If that line was cracked then it might be leaking water into the VD as well. Barring a catastrophic failure, a more likely scenario would be that the VD cap was left loose or out and the bilge filled with water and got into the VD. A Walter is pretty near indestructible when it comes to water intrusion and I have seen some pretty nasty stuff come out of some used boats that have otherwise never had a VD issue. I would drain it through the bottom drain plug to get all of the water and oil out. Then refill it and run it for a few minutes which should confirm or deny an internal issue.  

I've read multiple times about the cooling going in the top of the drive but both of the hoses are real low on the bottom of the drive.

P.s. Everytime I saw VD I thought vanerial disease ??

Edited by Sncbluegt

One line is the oil pick up line running from the VD oil pan sump to the pump on the front of the VD. You can stick your hand under the sump and follow the line up to the pump.The other external line recycles the VD oil through the "double S" bent line in the top of the VD under the plate I mentioned. 

15 minutes ago, wdr said:

One line is the oil pick up line running from the VD oil pan sump to the pump on the front of the VD. You can stick your hand under the sump and follow the line up to the pump.The other external line recycles the VD oil through the "double S" bent line in the top of the VD under the plate I mentioned. 

Ok I'll give that some searching tomorrow 

I had the same problem on my 06 vRide, level slightly low, strawberry milk fluid.  I noticed it after the first couple of outings.  Changed it, ran it for 5-10 hours, changed it again.  I put 300 hours on it before I sold it and never had an issue again.  Never got a definitive reason why it happened.  I helped my buddy winterize his 05 Walter 2 years ago.  I pulled the vdrive dipstick (which he didn't know existed) and it was dry except for a little sludge at the bottom, Walters use SAE30.  Again, no idea how it happened or how long it had been running like that. Performed the same change, run, change procedure and he's went 2 seasons with no issues as well.  These units are pretty tough, I wouldn't worry about running a few more hours and starting with a cheap and easy diagnostic approach.  

9 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I had the same problem on my 06 vRide, level slightly low, strawberry milk fluid.  I noticed it after the first couple of outings.  Changed it, ran it for 5-10 hours, changed it again.  I put 300 hours on it before I sold it and never had an issue again.  Never got a definitive reason why it happened.  I helped my buddy winterize his 05 Walter 2 years ago.  I pulled the vdrive dipstick (which he didn't know existed) and it was dry except for a little sludge at the bottom, Walters use SAE30.  Again, no idea how it happened or how long it had been running like that. Performed the same change, run, change procedure and he's went 2 seasons with no issues as well.  These units are pretty tough, I wouldn't worry about running a few more hours and starting with a cheap and easy diagnostic approach.  

That makes me feel much better. I'll take this approach for sure, thank you! 

Are y'all sure my drive is a Walter? These pics Ive seen and descriptions don't look at all like what I have. I see no tubes anywhere beside a cream white colored one on the inside of the drive when I look through the dipstick hole. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csqhw2c005r8s3w/Photo Feb 06%2C 1 23 18 PM.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Sncbluegt
Adding link to pic of vdrive
7 minutes ago, Sncbluegt said:

Are y'all sure my drive is a Walter? These pics Ive seen and descriptions don't look at all like what I have. I see no tubes anywhere beside a cream white colored one on the inside of the drive when I look through the dipstick hole. 

That is not a Walter.  Dextron label is the first clue.  Walters use motor oil.

17 hours ago, Sncbluegt said:

No, that's a ski-vee.  1 qt of red ATF - Dexron III Mercon

34a4b5ba02766ee4c25ba292aeb13a8c.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

Here's what happened to me. Due to a shower that was left on, there was enough water in the bilge to reach the driveshaft coupling while underway. The coupling along with the 4 bolts whipped up a fine water mist that (I assume) came in through the vent and turned the fluid into pink milk shake. I changed the fluid 4-5 times and all was well.

• Like 2

And when we're talking about just a quart of fluid, I'd imagine it doesn't take a significant amount of water to achieve the strawberry milk.  Probably less than a cup, so it's not like you've been running a 50/50 mix of water and ATF, hence why I wouldn't worry much about any damage.  Just change it a few times and keep an eye on it.  JMO.

That water around the coupling area would make sense since I have a hard ballast tank that leaks. I've changed the fluid with a suction gun. Gonna take it out this weekend and I'll change it again and so on and so forth til the fluid stays the color that it's suppose to. Thank y'all for the help. I'll update one way or the other. 

• 2 weeks later...