Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Member...Dealer Question...Island Watersports Port Jefferson, NY

goodmatt78

I have located a boat on onlyinboards.com.  I through out a low offer and the counter was VERY acceptable.  I would have to buy the buy without a water test and only visual inspection from their mechanic since it is winter and they don't want to sit on it until spring.

Does anyone have experience with this Nautique/Malibu Dealer?  I am about 10 hrs away in Ohio and just trying to do due diligence.

Thanks.

Not sure about VLX prices, but does look good to me. Was hoping I could find something closer in that price range but didn't see anything. It looks clean to me. When you get there, you can hear it at least run?

Best of luck,

Steve B.

quick edit: Do you know if the mechanic will do a cylinder compression test?

Edited by Steve B.
added something

Yes...they are doing a comp check this week.  I will run it on the trailer, then winterize and shrink wrap for trip home. I plan to double check compression myself.

I am quite skeptical on salt use based on location, but they say it came from an inland lake and the pics (43 of them) look really good.  no fastener corrosion on tower bolts, swim platform bolts and the engine mount bolts show nothing from inside bilge.  The wake wedge has something weird going on....like scaling, but the rest of the support linkage and fateners are spot free.  I guess I could pull the tstat easily and check those passages also.

I feel much better today.  Zero salt use.  I was put in touch with the original dealer who has maintained this thing since day 1.  Actually, the boat never left a slip in his marina.  Besides being in the water, everything sounds excellent. He also shared all the maintenance records and details of previous 2 owners.

I hope to have a new toy Saturday.   Then I can look at it for the next 100 days in my garage until I can use it.

Edited by goodmatt78

I was in your exact spot a couple years ago.  Bought a '10 23 LSV from them in December.  Boat was as advertised and the dealer was good to work with, gave me a great deal on spare parts and a couple skins that needed replaced.  My recommendation: use Uship and have someone bring it to you.  Driving around NYC sucks big time.  Even more in winter.  And even more towing a boat.  You will save money in the end, not to mention 2 days of your life.