Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Repair Suggestions

BlknYlwT22

Managed to get in some shallow water last summer and something underwater caught the edge of two of the blades. It was pretty minimal damage so we finished out the season and I figured would get the prop refinished during the offseason. Any suggestions on reputable places to ship the prop to have it refinished?

Here are the nicks on both blades. Like I said, the damage is minute. 

1BF081B5-D85C-4A90-8EBC-22CCC27A4BD1_zps

1C6EB33C-8708-4955-9E50-FB23034079C5_zps

22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

propmd.com

+1 for these guys - I took a really damaged prop to them and it came back almost like new.  They do excellent work and are typically pretty fast (depending on how many props are in the shop at the time).  My totally destroyed prop took them about a week to fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as your in Indiana, Simo hit the nail one head. I have used Delta prop way to many times but they have always done a great work. Save ya on shipping costs to Cincy to. Great results on some props that were really badly damaged on logs and rock bars in the river.

Looking at how minimal it is working it with a file and smoothing that out should do the trick.  If there is no vibration.  I think it is a bit overkill to ship it and frankly you risk worse damage.  I might be wrong but if no local cheap options say $50 to fix I would spend some time in the garage with it and get it all smoothed out.

I personally would not try a DIY repair.  Very minor imperfections in the prop can make it out of balance, leading to vibrations that can damage the drivetrain, especially over time.  It is impossible to verify that the repair is sufficient to prevent an imbalance without the proper measuring equipment, like pitch blocks.  You might get lucky with a file, but that's all it would be, luck.  

I always carry a spare prop and in the event of even a small ding I use the spare while getting the dinged prop repaired by a pro. 

You can call ACME or OJ and ask for the contact info for a qualified repair shop.  IIRC, if its an OJ, you can send it in directly to OJ.  

http://acmemarine.com/faq.php

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 3 years later...

Anyone know any good prop shops in the Midwest for wake boat props? We’ve got plenty of repair facilities around but most focus on stainless and aluminum outboard props. I’m in central Wisconsin. 

3 minutes ago, AxleGrease99 said:

Anyone know any good prop shops in the Midwest for wake boat props? We’ve got plenty of repair facilities around but most focus on stainless and aluminum outboard props. I’m in central Wisconsin. 

https://propmd.com/

Located in Plymouth MN.  They have a mail in service and do excellent work.  

Edited by oldjeep