Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Acme 1615 vs 1235

MattyICE15

I have been searching for every thread that can help me make a decision on this site listed back through 2010! Yet I still am uneasy about a selection. I am looking to upgrade the prop that came on my boat that we bought last year (stock prop 381?), 2000 Wakesetter VLX. My decision is to go with the "all pro" 1235 that everyone has raved about for years, or to get a little more aggressive with the newer 1615.  Keep in mind we operate on a very small lake and rarely, if ever, go WOT. I do pull the occasional skier but wouldn't worry too much about anything above 35mph.

Main usage is for wakeboarding and surfing (just starting to get into it). I just upgraded to two 750's in the lockers, use the stock mls (300-400), will use an older (400-600) bag in the bow, with a DIY surfgate.  I don't have any current stats on my rev's at the moment either so this is more of a general inquiry. But is there a "too aggressive" and come to a point where the 1615  may work against me?

Once I make my decision I will probably post a WTB for my selection in hopes of finding someone who wants to unload a spare or upgrade themselves... Or am I better off buying new from Wakemakers?

Your insight is appreciated!

I put a 1615 on my 06 vlx the end of last summer.  coming from a 537 it was a night and day difference.  with stock MLS full and 750's in the back lockers, 800 in the bow, wicked wake gate, and 6-8 people it pulls right to surf speed with no problems, and it hold the speed a lot better.  also top speed hasn't suffers that much as I can still get to 42 with no problem and more throttle to go.  that was verified on gps. 

I went with the 1615 over a 1235 after talking acme last summer, the guy I talked to thought with my setup the 1235 would still struggle a bit out of the hole.

18 hours ago, teamerickson said:

I used both a 1235 and a 1615 on my Axis T22 in 2015. RPMs and top speed are about the same between the two. I liked the 1615 better. Eventually I wanted MORE! so changed to a 2315. :)

Your boat looks like it was 1,100 lbs heavier dry to start (2,900 vs 4,000). How big of a factor should that be for me?

I understand the "wanting more" factor. Since top speed isn't necessarily a requirement for me I feel like it may be better just to step up to the 1615 from the start...

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

Nice part with the 1235 you can pick em up cheap all over.  I had it on my 2002 vlx at a mile high & it worked great pushing 3500 pounds of ballast

How cheap is cheap though? the lowest I've seen is around $350 for a considerably used one. Now maybe I've been looking at the wrong times though... Am I better off just buying either of the two new at around the $550 mark?

5 hours ago, stags79 said:

I put a 1615 on my 06 vlx the end of last summer.  coming from a 537 it was a night and day difference.  with stock MLS full and 750's in the back lockers, 800 in the bow, wicked wake gate, and 6-8 people it pulls right to surf speed with no problems, and it hold the speed a lot better.  also top speed hasn't suffers that much as I can still get to 42 with no problem and more throttle to go.  that was verified on gps. 

I went with the 1615 over a 1235 after talking acme last summer, the guy I talked to thought with my setup the 1235 would still struggle a bit out of the hole.

looks like the 06 was 700 lbs heavier dry. That's really not too much of a difference I suppose. This leads me to think the 1615 may be better for me. 

Any issues when you weren't loaded? How did it perform with an empty boat?

The only difference is 1/2" pitch.  You're splitting hairs.  Go with whatever you can get a deal on.  Your boat is lighter than many that are working well with the 1235 so it would definitely not be too much pitch.

As others have said, either prop will be fine for you. I'm running the 1235 on my 2008 23LSV with an extra 2,000 lbs. on top of stock ballast and wedge, with no issues or plans to change props. That's with the 5.7 Monsoon.

I think the Wakemaker's 10% discount works on props if you're a TMC site supporter, which would get you to $470 shipped for either one.

3 hours ago, MattyICE15 said:

looks like the 06 was 700 lbs heavier dry. That's really not too much of a difference I suppose. This leads me to think the 1615 may be better for me. 

Any issues when you weren't loaded? How did it perform with an empty boat?

Being on a smaller lake most of the time I have yet to find a downside to the 1615.  this summer I'm sure I'll spend some more time on a larger lake so that might show some negatives, but only time will tell.  so far I probably only have 5 or 6 hours on my 1615, bit definitely not going back.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, MattyICE15 said:

I have been searching for every thread that can help me make a decision on this site listed back through 2010! Yet I still am uneasy about a selection. I am looking to upgrade the prop that came on my boat that we bought last year (stock prop 381?), 2000 Wakesetter VLX. My decision is to go with the "all pro" 1235 that everyone has raved about for years, or to get a little more aggressive with the newer 1615.  Keep in mind we operate on a very small lake and rarely, if ever, go WOT. I do pull the occasional skier but wouldn't worry too much about anything above 35mph.

Main usage is for wakeboarding and surfing (just starting to get into it). I just upgraded to two 750's in the lockers, use the stock mls (300-400), will use an older (400-600) bag in the bow, with a DIY surfgate.  I don't have any current stats on my rev's at the moment either so this is more of a general inquiry. But is there a "too aggressive" and come to a point where the 1615  may work against me?

Once I make my decision I will probably post a WTB for my selection in hopes of finding someone who wants to unload a spare or upgrade themselves... Or am I better off buying new from Wakemakers?

Your insight is appreciated!

Just wondering, are you having trouble now?  Also, if your not sure what prop you have now, you might want to check.  Prop swapping is very popular and you might already have one of these you're considering.

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Just wondering, are you having trouble now?  Also, if your not sure what prop you have now, you might want to check.  Prop swapping is very popular and you might already have one of these you're considering.

I wouldn't say I'm having problems per say. You can just tell that the current prop is not helping the boat perform as it should. We don't hold speed in turns very well and can have some issues getting on plain with a little extra weight. Have just started trying to surf and that is when you can really feel the boat struggle. The prop that's currently on the boat is the stock one from 2000 per the seller who was the original owner. I can guarantee it's not a 1235 or 1615. I also can't quite check it right now since it's in covered/locked storage. 

Edited by MattyICE15
Autocorrect issues from phone
18 hours ago, MattyICE15 said:

How cheap is cheap though? the lowest I've seen is around $350 for a considerably used one. Now maybe I've been looking at the wrong times though... Am I better off just buying either of the two new at around the $550 mark?

I've seen almost new for $350.  Check all the forums, MB, Tige, ebay.  I may put mine up for sale since I keep it as a spare, but I run 5400 pounds on my new boat & the 1235 doesn't work.  PM me, maybe work something out  

I created this prop guide post for this very reason:

Why are you only considering 14.5" props?  I get why to get a 1235...Dime a dozen so you can low ball someone for a used one. But the 1615 won't be cheap used.  Why not the 2773?  

Before the "it might not fit because I read some general caution on the internet once" people chime in, Malibu has never sold a V-drive that won't properly fit a 15" prop.  I run a 15" and have more than the recommended clearance. 

I run a 1235 on my 13, with an extra 2800lb in ballast, this is with the L76 tho, 410 hp.

I don't have a bit of trouble getting to surf speed loaded, with 6-8 people and coolers.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:20 PM, NWBU said:

As others have said, either prop will be fine for you. I'm running the 1235 on my 2008 23LSV with an extra 2,000 lbs. on top of stock ballast and wedge, with no issues or plans to change props. That's with the 5.7 Monsoon.

I think the Wakemaker's 10% discount works on props if you're a TMC site supporter, which would get you to $470 shipped for either one.

We have the same boat. What bags and pumps are you using? 

1 hour ago, skylerchamblee said:

We have the same boat. What bags and pumps are you using? 

Two reversibles plumbed to wakemakers 820 LBS bags in the lockers, and the starboard side fill/drain line also has a Y/diverter valve to a fill line running to the bow. I'm running a 1000 lb triangle in the bow but really only need 650 up there so I don't fill it full.

Edited by NWBU
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

Two reversibles plumbed to wakemakers 820 LBS bags in the lockers, and the starboard side fill/drain line also has a Y/diverter valve to a fill line running to the bow. I'm running a 1000 lb triangle in the bow but really only need 650 up there so I don't fill it full.

Thanks

On 2/2/2017 at 8:45 PM, Nitrousbird said:

I created this prop guide post for this very reason:

Why are you only considering 14.5" props?  I get why to get a 1235...Dime a dozen so you can low ball someone for a used one. But the 1615 won't be cheap used.  Why not the 2773?  

Before the "it might not fit because I read some general caution on the internet once" people chime in, Malibu has never sold a V-drive that won't properly fit a 15" prop.  I run a 15" and have more than the recommended clearance. 

I figured the 325hp monsoon that I had might have a harder time spinning a 15' prop. I think 14.5 would have plenty of push for us so the 15' might be overkill. I could be completely wrong here, but that was just my logic.

On 2/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, Cmb396 said:

I run a 1235 on my 13, with an extra 2800lb in ballast, this is with the L76 tho, 410 hp.

I don't have a bit of trouble getting to surf speed loaded, with 6-8 people and coolers.

I think the upgraded engine definitely helps your cause. I know I could go with the 1235 but just wanted to see if stepping up a bit to the 1615 would hurt me in anyway... Other than price for a new one compared to bartering for a used 1235

On 1/31/2017 at 1:20 PM, NWBU said:

I asked about the 10% discount and they said it did not apply to props?

41 minutes ago, MattyICE15 said:

I figured the 325hp monsoon that I had might have a harder time spinning a 15' prop. I think 14.5 would have plenty of push for us so the 15' might be overkill. I could be completely wrong here, but that was just my logic.

I run a 15" on my 350hp monsoon.. You will thank yourself if you went ahead to a 15"... I push over #4600 ballast with it plus gear and crew (up to 10).. I went from a 1235 to the ???? (I have to look which one I got... sorry) 15" and it made a difference..

Now... I know my 2010 LSV will accept a 15" prop.. Wake Makers told me no.. but ACME told me yes... but now Wake Makers shows the 15" prop for 2004 - 2010 but pre 2004 they state 14.5" prop...

If you want an honest answer, call acme.. tell them what you year, make, model, engine, primary sport behind boat is and how much wieght you normally have and they will tell you which one you need and if a 15" will fit on it...

Edited by kerpluxal
15 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I run a 15" on my 350hp monsoon.. You will thank yourself if you went ahead to a 15"... I push over #4600 ballast with it plus gear and crew (up to 10).. I went from a 1235 to the ???? (I have to look which one I got... sorry) 15" and it made a difference..

Now... I know my 2010 LSV will accept a 15" prop.. Wake Makers told me no.. but ACME told me yes... but now Wake Makers shows the 15" prop for 2004 - 2010 but pre 2004 they state 14.5" prop...

If you want an honest answer, call acme.. tell them what you year, make, model, engine, primary sport behind boat is and how much wieght you normally have and they will tell you which one you need and if a 15" will fit on it...

That's the thing... I did call acme. The guy I talked to didn't seem like he was too concerned with my question or scenario. As soon as he heard 1235 come out of my mouth he said, ohh that's your prop. Its been an all-star for many years. Which I already know... Just wanted to see if the newer 1615 had any drawbacks.

I believe I am splitting hairs at this point similar to what a previous posted mentioned. I just need to find either of the 2 and I should be considerably better than my current situation. I think a 15' could work but I don't think its necessary for the ballast i'll be running.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 8:03 AM, MattyICE15 said:

That's the thing... I did call acme. The guy I talked to didn't seem like he was too concerned with my question or scenario. As soon as he heard 1235 come out of my mouth he said, ohh that's your prop. Its been an all-star for many years. Which I already know... Just wanted to see if the newer 1615 had any drawbacks.

I believe I am splitting hairs at this point similar to what a previous posted mentioned. I just need to find either of the 2 and I should be considerably better than my current situation. I think a 15' could work but I don't think its necessary for the ballast i'll be running.

Did you go with the 16115 or a 15"?