Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fat Sacs

NorCaliBu

So my boy is liking the surfin' Surfing.gif and Woody and I proved that you can squeeze a surfable wake out of a Sporty. Biggrin.gif

We had 750 next to the engine, 250 in the back corner, and 250 in the bow. The 750 is Woody's (the 250's are mine) so now my boy is bugging me to get a big sac.

I found this 680 # rectangle for $80 and this 1200 # sofa for $70.

With the 1200 I wouldn't need to put the 250 in the back corner. My concern is whether the "sofa" sacs are durable when actually used as a seat. Anyone have any experience? Do they last?

Welcome to the dark side. It's been a long time in the making.
I'll only be making short visits... Biggrin.gif ...for the entertainment of my boy. Biggrin.gif

I actually think that the 680 would do you better because you'd have a little more flexibility on where to put what weight. The sofa will limit you in that regard. And I do think that the durability question is valid, having a cover on that type of bag is important IMO. Now if you were talking about the Pro X stuff, that's a different question. But for a normal sack that is going to be out & exposed, I'd want a cover on it.

Welcome to the dark side. It's been a long time in the making.
I'll only be making short visits... Biggrin.gif ...for the entertainment of my boy. Biggrin.gif

Oh Sure, short visits ... entertainment ... Just be careful, it's a slippery slope. I've got several dusty slalom skis in the garage. But hey, you don't have to give anything up just add to your events. So far my family is up to nine events, sure fills up the dock though. Crazy.gif

Get the 680! I have found (at least in my boat) that more weight on one side vs. a whole lot of weight in the back makes a much cleaner surf wake. I put 1000lbs. on the port side (stacked on each other), the wedge, 400lbs in the ski locker and everyone one on the one side and its awesome (for a DD)

Get the 680! I have found (at least in my boat) that more weight on one side vs. a whole lot of weight in the back makes a much cleaner surf wake. I put 1000lbs. on the port side (stacked on each other), the wedge, 400lbs in the ski locker and everyone one on the one side and its awesome (for a DD)

prove it! I want to see pics!

He's right, the lean of the boat cleans up the wake vs. having a whole bunch somewhat equalized between the 2 sides. We've tried it because we wanted to be able to do spine transfers & such, but the wake just won't clean up that way.

Yeah, but in a Sporty that's a bit much. He doesn't want to sink it after all. :)
Ha! I don't need Fat Sacs to do that. Crazy.gif

(just wanted to beat tgaugh to the punchline) :lol:

prove it! I want to see pics!

If I make it out this afternoon and we surf I will post some pics

Here you go Souperfly...and we arn't even on the wake hull Biggrin.gif This was 400lbs. in the ski locker, wedge, and 1000lbs. on the port side along with 3 people in the boat.

100_3980.jpg

100_3979.jpg

100_3985.jpg

Edited by jetskipro550

I have a sofa and its great in the fact that you can still utilize it for seating, in all reality I don't think I've ever been able to put in all 1200lbs. I'm guessing its more like 1000 or less because when you fill it it tends to get air locked.

Regarding the structual strength and weight.

I've consulted a few Malibu service managers on this very topic, there conclusion was that these hulls are built very solid and while adding this much weight while surfing your are only going 10-12mph. If a person was throwing this type of weight up in the bow, instead of concentrating it on the back, I think there would definitley be a structural issue.

They expressed more concern with the stress that is put on the tranny rather than the Hull(but in the same sentence doubted any tranny failure) Because of this I went from a ACME 515 down to a 525 that provides more torque at a slightly higher rpm. Kind of like starting off in 1st gear as apposed to 2nd on a manual transmission in a car.

Oh Yea, To answer you question about durability on the couch, we sit three wide on it and step on it while going back and forth...........with out shoes of course!! Surprised.gif We usally angle it to whatever side we are surfing. :)

i work at a wakeboard pro shop and we have a sofa that is filled with air. People are always sitting on it while they are looking at wakeboards so it has had its fair share of use and abuse

we have had it for 2 years and still looks new

i work at a wakeboard pro shop and we have a sofa that is filled with air. People are always sitting on it while they are looking at wakeboards so it has had its fair share of use and abuse

we have had it for 2 years and still looks new