Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

White G4 - The good, the bad and the ugly

Skin2Win

Hey Crew - I am currently in the thick of picking out colors on a new 22 MXZ.  The battle I am having with myself is what color to make the G4.  I really like the look of the white but have a few concerns.  How hard is it going to be to keep clean?  How hard is it to clean?  I should mention that it only goes down the road for an hour drive twice a year.  It stays on a covered lift, although spiders do like to make a home under the canopy.  I have a black G4 now and must say it is pretty easy to keep clean and don't really notice if it is dirty.  I am pretty detailed and like to keep my stuff nice, I just worry that the white is going to get dirty and i won't be able to get it looking new again.  I would love to hear what other crew members have seen and done to keep their white G4 looking new.  And of course, any opinions are more than welcome!!  Thanks Crew!

I bought a roll of moving shrink wrap and wrap mine for longer tows.  Mine also sits in a covered lift - honestly the spider poo can be tough to get off no matter how often I clean it.  But after a year I wouldn't call my tower dirty, although a few stubborn spots remain.  I certainly wouldn't let it deter me from getting a white tower again.  

3F5D579B-554D-4D69-B7C0-4BEE5FD9EFAB_zps

• Like 1

I have a white tower and it does show dirt and stains. I don't even bother anymore trying to get them off. I am going with a 2017 and this time I am going black although white does look good.

Yeah, I don't tow very often either.  Any problems with hands full of sunscreen leaving marks?  I am thinking that a "over the folded tower" cover would help a bunch while on the lift with the spiders, bugs and birds.

In in the middle of finalizing my 22MXZ with MN Inboard as well. (just got the final number today)  I'm going with a white G3.5.  On my LSV with white tower still looks good after 3 years, but yes there are some stubborn spots.  If black fit my scheme I'd go that route, but my wife loves the look of the white tower so white it is again.

What's your spray date?  Looks like I'm 3/22.

Yeah if black fit the scheme I would go that way too, but there is something about that white I can't turn away from.  No set spray date yet, going in a couple weeks to finalize the numbers, but they said middle of march for me as well.  Plan is to get it by beginning of May.

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Full cover has been my solution to several problems with it being on a lift 24/7. Easy access, No bugs, No spiders, No birds etc. Tower up, bimini up and racks out. Haven't tried slow towing but it's not a towing cover. They'll make one that covers the sides as well.

:plus1: on the cover under the canopy idea.

My lift is a regular Shoremaster so I put the tower down and use a $135 cover.  Works fine under the canopy and keeps all the big and small critters, pollen, and leaves out of the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016L45TXG/

Wow @Ronnie that is one nice set up.  Unfortunately I do not have that type of lift and canopy set up.  Shoremaster lift and canopy here and I cannot lift the boat up out of the water with the tower still up.  When I leave for the week, the cover goes on, tower down and lift up as tight as i can to the canopy.  That is why I would like a cover that can go over a G4 folded. 

@Ronnie, Really nice setup.  I'm 24-7 on a lift as well.  I'm upgrading from a 2006 VLX to a 2017 LSV this year and looking at different options for more protection from sun in the mornings, keeping the cover off the vinyl, pollen, etc.  Who made your cover?

30 minutes ago, jackson said:

@Ronnie, Really nice setup.  I'm 24-7 on a lift as well.  I'm upgrading from a 2006 VLX to a 2017 LSV this year and looking at different options for more protection from sun in the mornings, keeping the cover off the vinyl, pollen, etc.  Who made your cover?

Got through my dealer Waterski America in Dallas. Made in Dallas. 

i have a white G4, Love the looks.

towing: fold it down and clean it after, really want to get a custom cover to go over the tower when folded down, but i only tow maybe 2*yr if lucky maybe 4*/yr. 

there are a few spots but cleaning does the trick doesn't bother me to much anymore because it looks so darn sexy

Black/suncreen was an issue on my older boat, but the chrome part was nice and easy to clean. 

i'd go white again though just for the clean look, and it looks stunning on the water when 99% of towers out there are black or chrome.

if you tow a lot then you really will want a cover to fit it when its folded down because you will still get some bugs on it, and obviously incase it rains etc.. 

ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Do any of you wax the tower?  I wax my chrome titan.  It makes it very easy to clean.  I'd think it would work on the new towers also. 

The G4 and most of the G3.whateverrevitis is mostly a rough metal finish, not a polished metal finish. I don't think it would do anything but make it worse.

My only issue on my white tower is black grease I cannot get rid of even with magic eraser and meguiars super degreaser. I can get most of it, but it isn't perfect like I'd like. I've never folded my tower down (don't have a need to) but that issue bothers me because it's the only part I can't get perfectly clean. It's really only noticeable to me. Aside from that, if I could choose, I would go white tower or color matched tower every time without fail. They just look the best on the water.

20 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

Do any of you wax the tower?  I wax my chrome titan.  It makes it very easy to clean.  I'd think it would work on the new towers also. 

Heck ya. Then after each use, I used McGuiars detail spray. All over the boat. Tower speakers too.

Steve B.