Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter LXi in choppy water

SkiPablo

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, jrvs23 said:

What v-drive wake was like a brick wall? Mine is nothing like that. I honestly really can't tell much of any difference in mine and a SSLXi at ski speeds. I have skied a couple non-bu'S and the wake was not near as nice, more rampy. In chop you got to find the sweet spot for cruising speed keeping the bow down a little to cut through without going to fast and taking the chop to the flatter back area of the hull. 

Profile shows boat as '01 Sunsetter VLX, which was on the SV23 Diamond hull - same as the SSLxi.

19 minutes ago, RTS said:

But there is something to be said for ripping around the lake in an old school DD with a proper set of tracking fins on it.  Sitting low to the water, turning on a dime, virtually no bow rise when you hit the hammer, that kind of thing.  

I probably had as much fun just driving my SSLXi around the lake by myself as I did with a boat full of freinds and family skiing, tubing and wakeboarding.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, RTS said:

But there is something to be said for ripping around the lake in an old school DD with a proper set of tracking fins on it.  Sitting low to the water, turning on a dime, virtually no bow rise when you hit the hammer, that kind of thing.  

I probably had as much fun just driving my SSLXi around the lake by myself as I did with a boat full of freinds and family skiing, tubing and wakeboarding.

No question!

• Like 2

what do you guys think is the best riding 20-21' Malibu ?   Kinda sold on the Sunsetter idea but are there others that can handle rollers better and still have a wake better than this...  maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, SkiPablo said:

what do you guys think is the best riding 20-21' Malibu ?   Kinda sold on the Sunsetter idea but are there others that can handle rollers better and still have a wake better than this...  maxresdefault.jpg

Wake of SSLXi at 36 MPH

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2r5pVis-0UTU5rZExZLTRPZGM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2r5pVis-0UMmpoOFh5eEh1T0E/view?usp=sharing

Grrr...how do I get pictures to just show up from Google drive without someone having to click on link?

Edited by RTS
2 hours ago, John I. said:

Profile shows boat as '01 Sunsetter VLX, which was on the SV23 Diamond hull - same as the SSLxi.

Exactly, I noticed very little difference between a DD and a VD in wake feel at ski speeds. 

1 hour ago, jrvs23 said:

Exactly, I noticed very little difference between a DD and a VD in wake feel at ski speeds. 

Its going to depend on how hard of a skier you are. I have had both and skied many. The DD ski tugs are another step above any V drive I have ever skied. And that is using the best V drive as a standard. One of the big difference in wakes, the hole behind the second wake. If you use the best ski tugs as the standard well its just not the same ball park. But then that is my thoughts. When my son left for collage I had no more reason for anything to board behind and the phone call was made to the dealer to start the ordering of a new DD! :yahoo:     And I really liked my V drive and it was in excellent shape.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Sixball said:

Its going to depend on how hard of a skier you are. I have had both and skied many. The DD ski tugs are another step above any V drive I have ever skied. And that is using the best V drive as a standard. One of the big difference in wakes, the hole behind the second wake. If you use the best ski tugs as the standard well its just not the same ball park. But then that is my thoughts. When my son left for collage I had no more reason for anything to board behind and the phone call was made to the dealer to start the ordering of a new DD! :yahoo:     And I really liked my V drive and it was in excellent shape.  

I wasn't comparing it to the best ski tugs. Obviously those are a different class. I was mearly giving my personal observations between a SSLXI and a VLX of the same era to which the OP was inquiring about. He stated that the VD wake he had skied behind was like hitting a wall and was concerned about it. I was trying to point out that not all VD'S wakes are like that and should keep his options open to help him find a boat that will fit all his needs.

11 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

I wasn't comparing it to the best ski tugs. Obviously those are a different class. I was mearly giving my personal observations between a SSLXI and a VLX of the same era to which the OP was inquiring about. He stated that the VD wake he had skied behind was like hitting a wall and was concerned about it. I was trying to point out that not all VD'S wakes are like that and should keep his options open to help him find a boat that will fit all his needs.

Yeper!  I get in a habit of talking about skiing related more to how we ski. The Diamond hull is an amazing hull Might be one of the best of its time. And I would say likely the best for the size for the SS LXI back in the time it hit the market. Boat speed and line length makes a tremendous difference when talking ski wakes. I remember when I was looking at A new tug I looked at the CC I think back then it was the 105. All I can remember is it was not in the same ball park. If the SS LXI was still in production when I bought my tug I would have likely bought it.  

43 minutes ago, Sixball said:

Yeper!  I get in a habit of talking about skiing related more to how we ski. The Diamond hull is an amazing hull Might be one of the best of its time. And I would say likely the best for the size for the SS LXI back in the time it hit the market. Boat speed and line length makes a tremendous difference when talking ski wakes. I remember when I was looking at A new tug I looked at the CC I think back then it was the 105. All I can remember is it was not in the same ball park. If the SS LXI was still in production when I bought my tug I would have likely bought it.  

205 maybe?  I honestly can't tell a difference in wakes at 22 and 28 off between my buddy's 205 and our VLX at 34 or 36.  Inside of 28 or below 32 MPH, the 205 is better.  The 205 is much firmer coming back to the handle than the VLX though (both hand-throttled).  Most DDs are IMO.

I've skied so many nautiques and mastercrafts I could never keep track. I still do. Nothing touches my SSLXi. Now, that being said, I have NOT skied the newer 200's, or the RLXi. But even the 176 nautique to me, is not as good a pull. Been skiing 43 years. About 10 or so in tournaments.

Steve B.

35 minutes ago, SkiPablo said:

Hi Steve,  Small world... I'm from the Akron area too - where do you ski at - Glassy ?   Do you ever ski public lakes like Springfield ?  

I own the place !!!  I'm 99% at Springfield, a little at Berlin or Westbranch. But we can get glass water essentially any weekday after work, even on the weekends sometimes.

Lets ski SkiPablo !!

50 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I own the place !!!  I'm 99% at Springfield, a little at Berlin or Westbranch. But we can get glass water essentially any weekday after work, even on the weekends sometimes.

Lets ski SkiPablo !!

Most Definitely !

On 2/2/2017 at 8:08 PM, Steve B. said:

There's at least a couple LSV's out there too SkiPablo.  We usually take turns to save the water. Sorry for the de-rail, lol.

Steve B.

It was a good derail !  we gotta get a petition to get that lake open longer in summer months - at least 8 PM May 1 - Sept 30 !!!!  

always nice to run into other skiers :)  - made some new buddies last year that do early mornings on westbranch.

That may not be that hard to do. We could start with the mayor. He's a nice guy, and easy to talk to. 

Not sure how close you live to the lake, but we could set up a meeting with him.

Steve B.

I don't know how my SSLxi compares to other Malibu DD's, but I've skied behind 90's MC's and it is just as good a wake and way better in small chop.

I've also skied behind my friend's v-drives, some of which are malibu's others are MC, and I definitely feel the difference, regardless of rope length or speed.  When we want to ski, they always want my boat. I feel no ride difference between my sslxi and their vdrives in small chop.

if you want DD ski performance with family comfort without beating your brains in small waves, it's hard to beat the sslxi.

Edited by braindamage
  • Like 2

My sister has a mc powerslot, my buddy has a nice nautique, another with an Eliminator Skier, all gravitate to the SSLXi. Everytime I cross the wake I almost giggle. How can it be that flat.

Steve B.