Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another new camper/trailer

mainekneeboarder

Very nice.  I wish I could find a similar RV for my LSV.  

With my sterndrive, I just towed it tandem behind my 5th wheel.  But the LSV is too big for me to comfortably do that.  We now take two vehicles to camp.  This is about as close to a perfect solution as I have seen.

12 hours ago, That Guy said:

We demand more pictures! Inside, outside, everything!

We really dont have alot of pictures of it. I will see what I can dig up thou.

55 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Very nice.  I wish I could find a similar RV for my LSV.  

With my sterndrive, I just towed it tandem behind my 5th wheel.  But the LSV is too big for me to comfortably do that.  We now take two vehicles to camp.  This is about as close to a perfect solution as I have seen.

As mentioned in the original post, the down side is no bigger boat then what we have would fit. There is about an 1 1/2-2 inch total on the side, and no more then an inch height clearance (it could be more without the light on the tow spool and just setting the bar on the windshield, but we set it on a PVC poll setting in the table hole in the floor). We are kinda surprised how easily it goes in for as tight as it is. Hardly ever have to back out and reset to get it in.

#1 - WOW.  That just rocks.  Seriously

#2 - More pics.  Please.

#3 - Please describe the on-off process in detail.  How easy/hard is it to get her lined up to go in?  More so, how do you get it out?  How long does it take to get it in/out?

#1 Thanks

#2 Working on it, we really didn't take many pics of it last summer.

#3   We have a "Trailer Valet" on the boat trailer to help put it in and out. Park boat trailer on level ground (rite now we are fighting an issue of the prop guard dragging on the ground while going in and out)  back camper up to boat trailer as straight as possible. Put landing gear down on camper to help with angle a little, while still hooked to truck, put door down on braces and some ramps to extend it that I have temp made.  I can drive boat trailer a little with "Trailer Valet" to get it closer to camper ramp, hook winch to boat trailer back by the axle someplace (made the mistake of hooking it to the tongue the first time and it put too much pressure on the "Valet" once boat got part way in camper and angles got fighting each other) girlfriend runs winch from a remote plugged in to the end of the counter so she can stand almost to the end of camper while I steer with trailer Valet. pay attention to where trailer wheels are on ramp and as long as the boats pretty centered on trailer it goes in easy, she watches on side while I watch the other. Coming out I drive it out with the Valet while girlfriend keeps winch cable just loose enough, once it gets to the down slope there is a spot where she has to put wight on tongue while I "drive it with the Valet, once over that "peak" she takes over with the winch and gravity and I steer, once at the bottom of ramp I unhook winch cable and drive with Valet back out of way.

Rite now it takes us 15mins from the time we get out of the truck, unload/load, get back in truck. Thats not running but moving along at a good pace. Once I get the new ramps done that I am building now I'm sure its going to knock atleast 5mins off. Rite now we have alot of time in setting up bracing and ramps, then picking them back up once the boats out because the ramp/door isn't rated for that weight. Here at the house putting it in and getting stuff packed we take alot longer. The whole process takes a little time at the campground because obviously you have to take the boat out, take it to the boat trailer parking area (or where ever you would be doing it) wipe it down, put tower down, take platform off, go get camper back it to the boat, then load.

Glad to see you finally got some of the pics posted up. Its looks Amazing. Can't wait to actually see it in person this spring, and to see the looks of everyone at the campground when the boat births out of the camper!

BTW, the lake is still open....

1 hour ago, MLBurns said:

That must have some very heavy duty floors. My toy hauler says not to haul over 2500 in garage.

The floor is 2inch thick layered, its 1/2 plywood top and bottom with ridged foam in-between. We have put some plate aluminum for the tires to run on just to spread the weight out a little. Alot of campers we looked at said the same 2500lb limit on them, they were all models that had the separate garage, that is mostly behind the axles. I think its more to be sure the pin weight doesn't get too light. One of the reasons we wanted this model is because the axles are set back further then alot of the other toy haulers. We still have 3600lb pin weight with the boat in it.

21 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

What do you pull it with? 

I gotta say that's pretty sweet. 

GM One ton turbocharged 454 dually, yes I know its over the GVW tow rating. It tows it very well, plenty of power, very stable and straight down the road, stops well, squats the suspension about 1 1/2-2inch. It actually has the exact same pin weight as our old one, which i found kinda funny. I am doing some brake modifications this winter just because I cant leave stuff alone.

22 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

What did you do with your old trailer? 

Rite now we still have it. If you read the old thread you know it was an old camper with rot in the rear of it when we started. The front part of it has started to rot out some now also. My father and I have been tossing around ideas of what to do with it. It most likely will be turned into a flatbed trailer.

1 hour ago, mainekneeboarder said:

GM One ton turbocharged 454 dually, yes I know its over the GVW tow rating. It tows it very well, plenty of power, very stable and straight down the road, stops well, squats the suspension about 1 1/2-2inch. It actually has the exact same pin weight as our old one, which i found kinda funny. I am doing some brake modifications this winter just because I cant leave stuff alone.

Don't let the gas haters know that. :lol:

4 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Don't let the gas haters know that. :lol:

On 1/29/2017 at 0:57 PM, mainekneeboarder said:

Since I know its going to come up ....... It is heavy, advertised dry weight of around 11,400 and GVW of 18,000lb (which I can never figure out on campers, the axles are rated at 6,000 each, Wheels at 3,000 each, and tires at 3,300? each, then you have 3,600lb pin weight on the truck when hooked up) we are over the 18,000 a bit when loaded and ready to camp. Truck tows it great and with the 3 braking axles on the trailer stops well, we get around 7-7.5 MPG towing with our gas rig.

I already gave them the ammunition earlier!!  And thats traveling at a pretty conservative speed 60-70, if I speed up it goes down QUICK! In reality from the buddy's I have with Diesels, that's not far off. It is worse, just not by a bunch.

6 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

What turbo setup? How much boost you running?
A boosted 454 isn't exactly the norm for a gasser. 

Home built setup, 72mm turbo. 12lbs boost.  It builds tons of low RPM boost quick, The turbo is a little small for max HP, but works well for towing. Will chug up a hill at 2200-2400RPM at full boost, 30%ish throttle.

• Like 1