Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'17 21VLX vs '13-'14 21VLX

Nitrousbird

All of these threads keep comparing the new 21 VLX to the 22VLX, VTX, MXZ, etc.  I've sat in it - it isn't the same as the 22VLX nor is the price.  But it got me thinking...is the target audience really those considering a '13-'14 21VLX.

The '13 & '14 are also 21'.  '13 is the first year for surfgate.  They seem to be trading in the 60's.  Most of the new '17 VLX's are priced in the 80-85k mark.  Unless I'm missing something, it would be a DUMB idea to buy a used '13-'14 VLX over a '17, and here is why:
- If financing, better rates on a new '17
- Most of the '13-'14 boats having the antiquated GEN-I SBC.  Base motor in the new VLX is a lot more powerful
- Power Wedge 2 is an improvement, as is the G3.5 tower
- Big dash/electronic updates in the '17
- Warranty

Sure, you are paying ~15k more, but it sure seems like you are getting a lot of upgrades for that money, not to mention brand new, warranty, better financing and 3-4 years newer.  I guess I'm wondering how the '13-'14 values haven't tanked with the release of this boat (and the older ones even further).  

Is there something I'm missing here?   

I feel like most boat buyers end up stretching their budget as far as they possibly can before they pull the trigger. At that point the 15k extra may be unattainable for the buyer. Also banks often limit what a specific buyer can borrow which puts a quick cap on their budget. 

Just now, IXFE said:

In the year 2027

Or today.  I'm sure you like to judge because we have an older boat - by choice - again, purchased cash several years ago.  Just now starting to get the itch for something a little bigger, though I already told the wife that even if I get her convinced on an upgrade it won't be until next spring as I'm not ready to purchase yet.

ahopkins22LSV
38 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the '17 model has a narrower beam and not Gona handle rougher water as well or have as much interior room. 

One could argue that a narrower boat would cut through rough water better. 

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Or today.  I'm sure you like to judge because we have an older boat - by choice - again, purchased cash several years ago.  Just now starting to get the itch for something a little bigger, though I already told the wife that even if I get her convinced on an upgrade it won't be until next spring as I'm not ready to purchase yet.

Not judging... it's a joke, based on your own incessant ramblings on the subject. 

Jokes aside, I couldn't care less what you do with your money. 

• Like 3

15k on 80k is almost 20% more.  That's not just a little bit more.  A 65k 13-14 VLX is perfect for someone with a 50k budget. Isn't that how it works around here?  Stretching to 80 from 50 just doesn't seem like a logical "stretch". On another note, the old vlx is 21'6". There's some more math for you spikew919. 

Hahaha I was giving the 6" but it's all good. ? I really don't understand why people compare on here all the time. I would say 99% of them have made there mind up anyway before starting a thread. I may be wrong.  

21 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Hahaha I was giving the 6" but it's all good. ? I really don't understand why people compare on here all the time. I would say 99% of them have made there mind up anyway before starting a thread. I may be wrong.  

Not that I'm judging but I think your math is wrong at a minimum. [insert stick poking emoji here] 

my quick math nets closer to 1100 sq inches. My boat definitely feels bigger than a 17. 

Edited by isellacuras
3 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

Not that I'm judging but I think your math is wrong at a minimum. [insert stick poking emoji here] 

I looked back now I see I left the 9 out ? 492 square inches, better? Lol ? 

12 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

my quick math nets closer to 1100 sq inches. My boat definitely feels bigger than a 17. 

I stand corrected, I just used the 2 inches but you're correct, doing it boat by boat and subtracting the difference is closer to 1100.  And you're right does make a differbce when sitting in them. ??

A '13-'14 VLX rides better and is quieter than the '17 21 VLX. But the gadgets on the 21 VLX are nice! The stereo setup is better and the Wedge II is big deal. But so is the price difference. I thought I was going to find a '15 22 VLX but couldn't find what I wanted so I am getting a '16 holdover 22 VLX. Picking it up next week. But I can say I had to increase what I originally budgeted but I did have the margin to do so. I don't like buying new but I could justify the deep discount of the holdover pricing. I demo'd the '17 21 VLX but felt like the ride was a downgrade from 2010 VLX. The narrower beam is very noticeable if you plan on having several peeps onboard.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

So you gonna buy a new boat nitrous?

This year - no. 

I have some other things I'm trying to accomplish some other things this year and I'd like at least one more season with the old girl.  Plus more time for the wife to warm up to the idea of an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Nitrousbird said:

Plus more time for the wife to warm up to the idea of an upgrade.

That's why I'm taking mine to the boat show. For me the pw2 and warranty make up a lot of that 15k difference. Now if they will just make a price point boat on the 247 I'm in!

6 hours ago, RevWil said:

A '13-'14 VLX rides better and is quieter than the '17 21 VLX. But the gadgets on the 21 VLX are nice! The stereo setup is better and the Wedge II is big deal. But so is the price difference. I thought I was going to find a '15 22 VLX but couldn't find what I wanted so I am getting a '16 holdover 22 VLX. Picking it up next week. But I can say I had to increase what I originally budgeted but I did have the margin to do so. I don't like buying new but I could justify the deep discount of the holdover pricing. I demo'd the '17 21 VLX but felt like the ride was a downgrade from 2010 VLX. The narrower beam is very noticeable if you plan on having several peeps onboard.

This is what I was looking for.  I don't care about being new or the warranty, so I'd rather score a used deal.  If ordering new I'd do basic or no stereo as I'd rather do my own setup. 

I noticed the narrower beam compared to the MXZ/22VLX, but I haven't sat in an early 21VLX in a while.  I know those are 100" beams, but wasn't sure if you would notice that much of a difference between the two.