Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Wakesetter LSV Fixer Upper (Anyone familiar with this boat?)

ptagher

I am going to test drive this boat over the weekend.  I am able to redo the entire interior myself and plan to do minor exterior work as well.

The purpose is to flip it and make some money after putting the new interior in and doing some additional exterior cosmetics.

It's located in San Angelo, TX.  Anyone familiar with it? Close to 1000 hours on it but I can buy it right.  I think.

See attached. (It's the red boat, not the interior pics).  Thanks

http://410379_zps1voom3xx.jpeg

It's a nice looking boat I don't know what they are asking but I was looking at the lsv before I found the vlx I got now they are really nice boat but I do know that it is really pricey to do motor work on boats and the  interior work is really expensive to but I'm sure you already knew that

but with that said I do know that here in Iowa any Malibu lsv that is for sale doesn't stay on the market long they sale fast here and along of people  swear they are one of the best all-around boats 

I just read that I would cry if that was my boat but I get spring fever and will go take the cover off my boat and clean it at least once in the winter 

I don't have any first hand info on the boat in OPs post -- but after doing a little searching -- this is EXACTLY what I was trying to find all of last summer.  It really doesn't look THAT BAD in the photos.  I'd be all over it if I were you.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shadetreefab said:

I would look it over real well, that stuff about the trailer being ruff is sticking out to me for some reason. 

I'm not familiar with how the Texas weather affects trailers but my current trailer is 8 years older and has very little rust. 

I test drive it and liked it. Definitely a Fixer Upper but exactly what I was looking for. 

I'm going to see if their mechanic can check out a high pitched squeal. I didn't have time to track it down but I think it happened after the boat got on plane and THINK it reduced somewhat at much higher speeds. My brother's had a similar whining noise and it was the fuel filter. 

Top speed is much slower than mine (38 mph) but had good power. Could be the prop but I don't know much about props. 

The boat is an 08 23' LSV marked 2315 15x 12V. Maybe a high torque low speed prop? 

I just saw the boat that you are talking about it looks like a good boat the  interior looks like you can just clean it really good it looks like it sat outside with out a cover on it for a bit let us know what all happens @ptagher

After much deliberation and going back and forth I decided not to get the boat.

For $25K I think I had a good chance to put a few thousand in and flip it but it seemed to be one issue after another that kept coming up with the boat and the dealership.  It needed new actuators for the wedge and their mechanic was actually going to give those to me since Malibu apparently requires you to replace both when one fails.  The throttle button was stuck down -- not sure how much that work would have been but a new throttle was about $500-$700.  Someone said there is a spring in there that may have need to be replaced.  There were certainly many other things that needed fixing but I could do 90% of them.  As I said, it had a loud squeal coming from the engine somewhere -- possibly the fuel filter but their mechanic said he wasn't sure.  The tower connection had spider cracking on the gel coat and at least a few of the cracks were through the fiberglass.  The tower shaked like no tower I had ever seen but it seemed to be loose at the hinge --  not at the hull connection.  Trailer was worse that the pics made it appear but didn't concern me too much.  All the corrosion made me think of saltwater but they said it was a local boat and the registration tag said the same.  At my request they had already replaced the digital screen ($1200) and they initially agreed to pay for it, then tried to back out, then tried to settle on half.  Finally they agreed to replace it at their expense which was the reason I drove 3 days roundtrip to test drive in the first place.  The speedometer didn't work (so therefore the speed control as well) and they had ordered a part which had not arrived.  They initially agreed to replace it and video it so I knew it worked.  They backed out of that as well.  Also was going to do a compression check on the engine which I agreed to pay for if they deducted that off the sale price if I purchased it.  That was actually their idea.  They backed out of that as well as they said I got to test drive it and that should be sufficient.  The sales rep called me up and said the sale wasn't worth his time because neither he or the dealer was making any money on it.  He said he was done with putting an ounce of more work in the sale.  I said OK an hung up.  The next day I sent him a text and said I was out.

I've been in sales for 25 years.  One of the best attributes a sales rep has is to do what you say you are going to do -- it's not that difficult.  Be honest.  Don't piss off your customer or his wife!  My rep broke all those rules and I was done.  He said he had a buyer that was going to pay much more but the sales manager called me up and practically begged me to buy it the next day.  Agreed to all of the things that were originally promised and more -- but I was done.

I have yet to get my $1000 deposit back yet but am not worried about that - yet.  They said it takes a few days to show up on my account.  Hmmm.

I'm still looking but think I'm done driving long distances to see boats -- at least for a while.  We are going to do some skins if anyone is interested.  Still working on pricing but am certain we will be fair and first quality.  Need to research some pricing -- if anyone has had some quotes I'd be interested.  The best way to contact me is by phone (859)802-7997.  Text is the same.  Or email [email protected].  I'm in sales so I respond almost instantly.  For some reason I'm not getting notifications via email from Malibu Crew so I'm slower to respond to those messages.

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, ptagher said:

For $25K I think I had a good chance to put a few thousand in and flip it but it seemed to be one issue after another that kept coming up with the boat and the dealership.  It needed new actuators for the wedge and their mechanic was actually going to give those to me since Malibu apparently requires you to replace both when one fails.  The throttle button was stuck down -- not sure how much that work would have been but a new throttle was about $500-$700.  Someone said there is a spring in there that may have need to be replaced.  There were certainly many other things that needed fixing but I could do 90% of them.  As I said, it had a loud squeal coming from the engine somewhere -- possibly the fuel filter but their mechanic said he wasn't sure.  The tower connection had spider cracking on the gel coat and at least a few of the cracks were through the fiberglass.  The tower shaked like no tower I had ever seen but it seemed to be loose at the hinge --  not at the hull connection.  Trailer was worse that the pics made it appear but didn't concern me too much.  All the corrosion made me think of saltwater but they said it was a local boat and the registration tag said the same.  At my request they had already replaced the digital screen ($1200) and they initially agreed to pay for it, then tried to back out, then tried to settle on half.  Finally they agreed to replace it at their expense which was the reason I drove 3 days roundtrip to test drive in the first place.  The speedometer didn't work (so therefore the speed control as well) and they had ordered a part which had not arrived.  They initially agreed to replace it and video it so I knew it worked.  They backed out of that as well.  Also was going to do a compression check on the engine which I agreed to pay for if they deducted that off the sale price if I purchased it.  That was actually their idea.  They backed out of that as well as they said I got to test drive it and that should be sufficient.  The sales rep called me up and said the sale wasn't worth his time because neither he or the dealer was making any money on it.  He said he was done with putting an ounce of more work in the sale.  I said OK an hung up.  The next day I sent him a text and said I was out.

I've been in sales for 25 years.  One of the best attributes a sales rep has is to do what you say you are going to do -- it's not that difficult.  Be honest.  Don't piss off your customer or his wife!  My rep broke all those rules and I was done.  He said he had a buyer that was going to pay much more but the sales manager called me up and practically begged me to buy it the next day.  Agreed to all of the things that were originally promised and more -- but I was done.

I have yet to get my $1000 deposit back yet but am not worried about that - yet.  They said it takes a few days to show up on my account.  Hmmm.

I'm still looking but think I'm done driving long distances to see boats -- at least for a while.  We are going to do some skins if anyone is interested.  Still working on pricing but am certain we will be fair and first quality.  Need to research some pricing -- if anyone has had some quotes I'd be interested.  The best way to contact me is by phone (859)802-7997.  Text is the same.  Or email [email protected].  I'm in sales so I respond almost instantly.  For some reason I'm not getting notifications via email from Malibu Crew so I'm slower to respond to those messages.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out... but here are a few details on a 2008 LSV...

It was the first year for that hull/model and a lot of the new electronics. There were a ton of issues early on but Malibu did the right thing and sent a crew out to fix/update every boat with new MUX panels, software, etc.  So in the end no issues if the "rework" was done.  I have owned my 2008 since new and have never had a single issue (but my boat lives in my garage and is taken care of the way a 'bu should be.

Windshield design as a little flakey and there were some issues with it coming loose (it is basically just taped on) and the XS Tower is a bit flexy side to side over bumps but its still solid.

Malivue come out in 2009 but there were a few 2008 LSVs that were reworked to add Malivue (I was lucky enough to have mine updated.)  If this boat doesn't have it now it is possible (but might be impossible to find the parts) to add it. 

The throttle button shouldn't do anything.  There was a recall and they disabled the button entirely. There is no way to put the boat in N and rev the motor.

Other than that it is pretty much the same hull the LSV had for years. We love out 2008:).  Mine looks more like a 2011 as I have a G3.2 tower and the newer style windshield.

On 2/5/2017 at 3:39 PM, ptagher said:

No offense but I'm with the dealer on this one.  You were looking at a boat for $20k less than the market price.  It was marketed as a project and priced accordingly.  The dealer wanted someone to show up and buy it as-is.  Instead, you insisted on asking them to spend their time and money helping you troubleshoot and fix various gremlins-- and just like it's well within your rights to ask, it's well within their rights to tell you to eff off.  Sounds like they did.   

I was ready to buy it over the phone based on price alone. I was told all issues were cosmetic and we agreed on the price. 

They did not do an on-water test on the boat before taking it on trade. This made me decide to drive to Texas to do a test drive. 

They looked over the boat a little more carefully and advised me the actuators on the wedge were not working and needed replacement. They also informed me the throttle button was sticking. The transom stereo remote also wasn't working. I agreed to take the boat at the same price they told me before they informed me of these issues. They quoted over $1000 to repair these but I felt I could do it myself. 

They looked over the boat a little closer and realized the digital display wasn't working and the speedometer wasn't working.  Although they tried to get me to pay for those I told them I was no longer interested and they finally called back and said they would repair them but the speedometer part had to be ordered and wouldn't arrive before my test drive -- but they agreed to videotape it after the repair to prove it would work (since the boat wouldn't be put in the water for a few months once I returned home). 

When I test drove the boat it had a very high pitch squeal coming somewhere from the engine and the mechanic said he wasn't sure what that was from. I also noticed the "cosmetic spider cracking" on the hull where the tower was mounted were cracks that went through the hull. 

SO, only cosmetic issues turned into:

1. Thru cracks in hull

2.  Speedometer not working

3. Digital display not working

4. Transom stereo remote not working

5. High pitched squeal from engine while throttling down 

6. Throttle button sticking 

I'll admit they agreed to fix some of these but with this many issues, especially those with the electronics, I decided to pass. It could be a very nice boat for someone -- just not me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for not responding sooner but not getting notifications. This website really needs some work.

yes, full refund n

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, ptagher said:

Sorry for not responding sooner but not getting notifications. This website really needs some work.

yes, full refund n

Is your email up to date in your profile and do you have your notifications set to send you an email? I’ve got pretty specific settings for what notifications I get an email for and I’ve never not missed one. 

• Like 2