Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 21VLX vs. NXT 22

Kicker716

Hi everyone - I am curious to hear peoples thoughts on these two boats. Has anyone demoed a new 21VLX or NXT 22? I am on the market and these are the two boats I am concidering? I currently own a 2002 Wakesetter VLX. 

Congrats on the new search, but I find those two to be an odd comparison?  I have no behind the boat experience behind the nxt, but, and this is just me, I'd buy a T22 ahead of an NXT, so the 21 VLX is kind of an obvious choice IMO.  That said, I have one on order so I may be biased, haha.

• Like 3

VLX 21 looks like the best thing going for 80k. Seriously--if you dig the looks and feel, do it.  You need to get close to 100k to get something better--or more.  Sweet screen, very nice finish in some colors.  Might be 84k with killer color options.  Nice tower, etc.  

The NXT22 is the best budget boat going right now for 68k.  It has different looks compared to the Malibu, so that's an opinion. and 12k in the pocket doesn't hurt.  I have been on the water in a NXT22, and it's a nice wake.  But the controls are not so bling, tower is not to bling, etc.  

You have sorted out the two best values on the water this spring.  Only you can decide what you want your boat to look like, and how much you want to pay.  

Edited by ejj

Demoed a NXT22 and was not impressed by the wakes.  T22 had marginally better wakes, surf and wakeboard.  I also got the chance to ride a '17 21VLX and let me tell you, for a 21' boat the waves are VERY impressive!

I can't speak for the NXT 22 other then it's just NOT my cup of tea.  

I can on the other hand talk about the 21VLX as I demoed this boat 2 weeks ago, and ordered one at the LA boat show. 

Size: for a 21 footer, the boat seems very roomy to me.  They make great use of the space and everything seems to be in the right spot.  I almost wrote it off due to the 98 inch beam until I sat it one and demoed out on the water.  The size felt just right for me.

Fit and Finish:  it's not quite as plush as the larger Malibu boats, but it's damn close.  I'ts certainly a Malibu and not an Axis.  It doesn't at all feel like a budget boat.  At first I was turned off a little with the bolsters thought the seating area until I got out on the water.  They give great separation and a feeling of your own space.  You can also lean into them and they hold you in place nicely. I actually love this option now.  The iconic and amazing Malibu dash, billet handles & hardware, G3.5 tower make you feel like you are in a "real Malibu" and not some stripped down budget boat.

Driveability: nimble and responsive.  Feels like you are driving a sports car.  The thing tracks well and I didn't hear any rattles even when crossing back over our wake at 22mph.

Wakes:  Due to the weather, I was not able to get behind the boat, but I was able to visually review both the wakeboard and wakesurf wake.    Wakeboard wake: 22mph, with full ballast (including the bow tank) and 400s in the rear, wedge fully deployed, the wakeboard wake was money.  Huge, rampy and clean.  I drained all the ballast and retracted the wedge and was able to get a clean wake in windy condition at 18mph.  This is super important to me as I will be teaching my girls (10 and 8) how to wakeboard. Wakesurf wake:  I don't have a lot of comparison data,  but the wakesurf wake looks great to me.  I tested it with the same settings at the wakeboard settings and the wave was big and clean at 11.8 mph.  I don't plan on surfing a lot, so the wakesurf wake is not a priority for me.  I live in San Clemente, CA where we have some of the best surf breaks in the county. 

All in all it's just a great package for $80k.  I ordered mine with a few upgrades including sea deck (floors and kick panels), surf Bimini, torque prop, and transom steps and ratchet tie downs on the trailer.  I'm super stoked and already have some trips planned for the summer.  

I was shopping for a new boat and my dealer was pumped about the 21 VLX. I was coming from a 2010 VLX. It is a louder boat (but I found out that the Raptor engine is louder so it wasn't just the 21 VLX - but the 22VLX was a bit quieter but still louder than the 2010 year model.) I thought the shaped rear seats would be bad but they weren't. Overall for me I decided on a 2016 discounted 22 VLX over the 2017 21 VLX. From a driving standpoint when the 4 hard tank ballasts and the pnp bags in the rear locker were full and the wedge was deployed it did porpoise quite a bit and that was a deal breaker for me. I have to say though that the fit and finish was really good. The only other thing I didn't care for was the more shallow gunwale. Weather didn't allow for me to get behind the boat either. I haven't been in the NXT. Happy shopping!

I have only "boat show demoed" a 21 VLX, but have quite a lot of time in the NXT22. From the standpoint of interior finish, screen, and tower, I can easily give the nod to the 21 VLX.  I have never liked the looks of the NXT tower, the screen is very functional, but basic..... And the interior is fairly basic. That said, for being basic, it is well constructed. Also, it is fairly common for MC to not go crazy with extra vinyl, carpet, SeaDek, etc.... And their boats commonly have more finished gel inside than a Malibu. To some, this feels basic. To others, it feels clean. 

The NXT is bigger inside, and has more storage. Mostly in the bow. It does have far superior carbon weave and stay cool breathable vinyl, similar to the advanced vinyls you find in the newer Malibu's, and would get in the VLX, but not in an Axis or Moomba. Both the wakesurf wave and wakeboard wake are excellent in this boat with 750s in the back. I can't say the same for the NXT20......

As for putting the Moomba ahead of an NXT22.......... After spending WAY more time than I could have ever wanted, in 2 brand new Mojo's last year. I would never recommend one to anybody that is serious about a nice wakesurf wave...... Unless you don't mind spending lots of time filling extra bags, and don't care about storage. Even with upgraded 750s in the back, we needed another 2k in the boat to put it on par with most stock boats these days. That said, the wave was pretty darn good with the extra 2k and about 8 people in the boat.

I will say that I think the new Moombas are the best looking budget boats, with the nicest looking towers. 

Hard to ignore that you can get a new, well equipped NXT 22 for 68k with a trailer. Also hard to ignore the VLX deal at 80k. It's a great time to be shopping either of those boats....

13 hours ago, RevWil said:

From a driving standpoint when the 4 hard tank ballasts and the pnp bags in the rear locker were full and the wedge was deployed it did porpoise quite a bit and that was a deal breaker for me. 

I didn't have this experience at all during my demo.  I love the 22vlx as well, but just could not justify the $10-$15k more then the 21vlx.  

7 hours ago, bamaboy said:

What about an MB?  

A new B52 23 footer for 80k might be better than both those options

@IXFE it's a 98 inch beam

The MBs are really nice and I was considering a B52 as well.  I demoed a 2016, and the wakesurf wake was huge.  The wakeboard wake was nice at 23mph, but anything below that was awful.  It was also VERY weight sensitive.  The slightest movement in the boat would wash out the wake, even at 23mph.  Since I primarily wakeboard the MB didn't make the cut, but if you just wakesurf the MB is a great boat for the money. 

Every boat will porpoise if it is going too fast for its rear weight bias capability.  Yep, you could get a 247 to porpoise if you wanted.  If the VLX porpoised, too much stern weight was being used relative to bow weight.

2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

@IXFE I actually wouldn't be surprised if the NXT22 is wider inside than the VLX. Narrow gunwales make a pretty big difference on the NXT.

on a side note, I love the color scheme on that VLX you posted. That is sharp.

You're probably right given same beam. I'll go edit my post. Total brain fart 

5 hours ago, SCMike said:

The MBs are really nice and I was considering a B52 as well.  I demoed a 2016, and the wakesurf wake was huge.  The wakeboard wake was nice at 23mph, but anything below that was awful.  It was also VERY weight sensitive.  The slightest movement in the boat would wash out the wake, even at 23mph.  Since I primarily wakeboard the MB didn't make the cut, but if you just wakesurf the MB is a great boat for the money. 

What about a 22 foot MB.  Seems like great value for the money

Thank you for the feedback everyone! I know these two boats are an odd comparison. I will be heading to the Detroit Boat show when it opens to see everything in one spot. I have been leaning towards the 2017 21VLX. However, I went to the Mastercraft dealer and the price of the NXT 22 made me have to look into it further. 

I consider myself an intermediate to low end advanced wakeboarder (tantrums, front rolls, back rolls, 360's) but I am 35 and my body is struggling to take the beating now and I want to get into surfing. Not being too selfish though, I have a 4.5 year old boy and four nephews ranging from ages 2 - 8. Like all of us I just want to make the best decision for my family and financial goals. 

Thanks again for the feedback! If anyone else gets a chance to demo a '17 21VLX please PLEASE keep the feedback coming. Unfortunately here in Michigan I will want to order mine before the lakes melt.....Ugh.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:18 AM, IXFE said:

Easy decision for me...

21 VLX for the win. Such sharp lines!

900512C4-ED8C-44FA-B214-29F7B454E4B2_zps

6D0F6A3D-359C-4AB6-B258-71B93F2E2C56_zps

D28C9139-6B05-4031-86CD-B787263F289D_zps

2CE6F768-AD57-43DF-841F-4A199B27EA9C_zps

I love the color combination on this boat! Thank you for sharing the pictures! 

On 1/27/2017 at 0:46 AM, SCMike said:

I can't speak for the NXT 22 other then it's just NOT my cup of tea.  

I can on the other hand talk about the 21VLX as I demoed this boat 2 weeks ago, and ordered one at the LA boat show. 

Size: for a 21 footer, the boat seems very roomy to me.  They make great use of the space and everything seems to be in the right spot.  I almost wrote it off due to the 98 inch beam until I sat it one and demoed out on the water.  The size felt just right for me.

Fit and Finish:  it's not quite as plush as the larger Malibu boats, but it's damn close.  I'ts certainly a Malibu and not an Axis.  It doesn't at all feel like a budget boat.  At first I was turned off a little with the bolsters thought the seating area until I got out on the water.  They give great separation and a feeling of your own space.  You can also lean into them and they hold you in place nicely. I actually love this option now.  The iconic and amazing Malibu dash, billet handles & hardware, G3.5 tower make you feel like you are in a "real Malibu" and not some stripped down budget boat.

Driveability: nimble and responsive.  Feels like you are driving a sports car.  The thing tracks well and I didn't hear any rattles even when crossing back over our wake at 22mph.

Wakes:  Due to the weather, I was not able to get behind the boat, but I was able to visually review both the wakeboard and wakesurf wake.    Wakeboard wake: 22mph, with full ballast (including the bow tank) and 400s in the rear, wedge fully deployed, the wakeboard wake was money.  Huge, rampy and clean.  I drained all the ballast and retracted the wedge and was able to get a clean wake in windy condition at 18mph.  This is super important to me as I will be teaching my girls (10 and 8) how to wakeboard. Wakesurf wake:  I don't have a lot of comparison data,  but the wakesurf wake looks great to me.  I tested it with the same settings at the wakeboard settings and the wave was big and clean at 11.8 mph.  I don't plan on surfing a lot, so the wakesurf wake is not a priority for me.  I live in San Clemente, CA where we have some of the best surf breaks in the county. 

All in all it's just a great package for $80k.  I ordered mine with a few upgrades including sea deck (floors and kick panels), surf Bimini, torque prop, and transom steps and ratchet tie downs on the trailer.  I'm super stoked and already have some trips planned for the summer.  

Excellent feedback! THANK YOU for sharing!

12 minutes ago, Kicker716 said:

Thank you for the feedback everyone! I know these two boats are an odd comparison. I will be heading to the Detroit Boat show when it opens to see everything in one spot. I have been leaning towards the 2017 21VLX. However, I went to the Mastercraft dealer and the price of the NXT 22 made me have to look into it further. 

I consider myself an intermediate to low end advanced wakeboarder (tantrums, front rolls, back rolls, 360's) but I am 35 and my body is struggling to take the beating now and I want to get into surfing. Not being too selfish though, I have a 4.5 year old boy and four nephews ranging from ages 2 - 8. Like all of us I just want to make the best decision for my family and financial goals. 

Thanks again for the feedback! If anyone else gets a chance to demo a '17 21VLX please PLEASE keep the feedback coming. Unfortunately here in Michigan I will want to order mine before the lakes melt.....Ugh.

The vlx has a decent wakeboard wake for its size.  The shape is great, but it isn't the biggest wake in the Malibu line. I did a group demo day back in September and was easily able to throw tantrums. You don't get the float time that you will with a bigger boat, but the wake is definitely fun. If you are on the downswing, it would be a great fit- still able to throw mid range tricks, but don't have to worry about going huge every time. Let me know if I can answer any other questions you have.

Dealer quality and capability is important too, so get a feel for that as you do your research. Around here there's a night and day difference between the respective dealers, and I haven't seen a newer MC on the water in the last 3 years now.

I know this is completely and totally subjective.  And as they say, beauty is more than skin deep.  However...the NXT is a seriously ugly boat.  The tower is terrible.  The dash is horrible plastic, with cheap looking gauges, switches and a small display.  The upholstery looks really low-rent.  I have not driven one, surfed one, boarded one, skied one, driven one.  Maybe the NXT is awesome.   But I couldn't look at it every day on the lake.  :-)  I've owned Mastercrafts and Malibus, so I am not a Mastercraft hater by any stretch.  But if you have $80K to spend and those are your two options, the decision has to be simple.  Like you I own an older VLX at present, and the new VLX looks outstanding.  No shortcuts in the display, tower, interior, etc.  Raptor powered.  Boatmate trailer.  I really like how my 2005 VLX performs, and 12 model years of evolution will no doubt make the new one excellent.

Good luck!

• Like 2