Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

After market "wake gate"

Shanew8250

I have a 2005 vride. I am looking at buying one of the ones that has the suction cup to attach and help out with the wake and the lean of the boat. Does anyone have experience with these? 

1 hour ago, Shanew8250 said:

I have a 2005 vride. I am looking at buying one of the ones that has the suction cup to attach and help out with the wake and the lean of the boat. Does anyone have experience with these? 

Go to the home page and type "gate" into the search field.  Probably a hundred threads on suck gates, platform gates, and built in gates.  Yes, they work.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

There are several on here who have made their own. If you have a few tools and are budget minded, you can make a nice one for $60. There are tons of gates that can be had for less than $200 on the big auction site... pick your poison.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy just installed the 4K dollar wakemakers one on his supra. Haven't had it in the water yet, but install was easy and it looks pretty slick. I hope it works well for that kind of $$!

DIY SUCKGATE ALL DAY LONG....once you get the suction handle you can make one yourself if you are remotely handy in less than 30 minutes.  Using plywood and 2x4's, HPDE or Cutting Boards.

• 1 month later...

The mission delta works great on my 2009 VLX.  When a friends surf gate actuator went out last fall, we ran the mission unit for the weekend on his axis as well and the wake was also great. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 8:28 AM, MadMan said:

I would say basically that any of these are going to work.  I mean the DIY one made out of an old cutting board and a $6 Harbor Freight panel carrier works great.

I used this same method for my '14 MC X2 with gen 1 tabs.  I weighted evenly and used the suck gate with the tabs and it surfed really well.  I kept a pre drilled handle in the boat because they didn't last long being in the water so much.  I usually got about a months worth of use out of one before it broke.

6 hours ago, Lees23 said:

I used this same method for my '14 MC X2 with gen 1 tabs.  I weighted evenly and used the suck gate with the tabs and it surfed really well.  I kept a pre drilled handle in the boat because they didn't last long being in the water so much.  I usually got about a months worth of use out of one before it broke.

Yep, the tabs are notorious for breaking on these panel carriers, because they were designed to work in air, not water, and air is compressible/expandable.  So when you attach it to the boat, and pull a vacuum,  you are trying to expand something that isn't expandable.  The result is broken tabs.  Me (and others) have replaced the tabs with DIY aluminum ones. I also adjust the hole in the tab so that it doesn't try to pull as much vacuum.  This reduces the absurd effort required to install or remove.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:00 AM, MadMan said:

Yep, the tabs are notorious for breaking on these panel carriers, because they were designed to work in air, not water, and air is compressible/expandable.  So when you attach it to the boat, and pull a vacuum,  you are trying to expand something that isn't expandable.  The result is broken tabs.  Me (and others) have replaced the tabs with DIY aluminum ones. I also adjust the hole in the tab so that it doesn't try to pull as much vacuum.  This reduces the absurd effort required to install or remove.

Would like to see your DIY tabs.  Getting ready to make my own tabs as well. 

4 hours ago, NCVride said:

Would like to see your DIY tabs.  Getting ready to make my own tabs as well. 

This sucks as a suction cup but the tabs are stronger than harbor freights I now use the tabs from this handle and the harbor freight suction and handle portion: https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-HOD-DOUBLE-Handle-On-Demand/dp/B001PBQ9K8

8 hours ago, 95echelon said:

This sucks as a suction cup but the tabs are stronger than harbor freights I now use the tabs from this handle and the harbor freight suction and handle portion: https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-HOD-DOUBLE-Handle-On-Demand/dp/B001PBQ9K8

Are they really any different than the HF handle tabs?  I've seen those handles and wondered if they were stronger, but figured all of these handles came from the same factory in China. 

2 hours ago, NCVride said:

Are they really any different than the HF handle tabs?  I've seen those handles and wondered if they were stronger, but figured all of these handles came from the same factory in China. 

They are different. That black handle will barely stay attached suction wise but the little tabs are stronger. 

1 hour ago, jbower said:

42CF3C19-7F1E-4FC5-9F42-F9ED474B1E43_zpsNot a very good pic. But i made my tabs out of aluminum square tube. Just had to cut out the areas with a cut off wheel 

Ghetto AF but I love it!

8 hours ago, 95echelon said:

They are different. That black handle will barely stay attached suction wise but the little tabs are stronger. 

Ghetto AF but I love it!

@jbower Thanks!!  This is what I needed to see.  Actually picked up what looks to be the same tubing yesterday at Lowe's before I saw this.  Also glad to see I am not the only one too lazy to upgrade to HPDE or cutting boards and is still using 2x4's and plywood.  Ha ha.  Nice. 

30 minutes ago, NCVride said:

@jbower Thanks!!  This is what I needed to see.  Actually picked up what looks to be the same tubing yesterday at Lowe's before I saw this.  Also glad to see I am not the only one too lazy to upgrade to HPDE or cutting boards and is still using 2x4's and plywood.  Ha ha.  Nice. 

Haha. Yes upgrading was supposed to be a winter project unfortunately I just have to much going on and to much bigger things to do to the boat, so yes the 2x4 and plywood is going to have to stay for a while.