Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Kmmarine0352

09 vlx wakeboard wake set up

Recommended Posts

Kmmarine0352

Hello I'm new to here I just got a new to me 09 vlx I switched from a 10 Supra launch 21v it was a really good boat and the wake was amazing for me and some of my friends that I use to go out with but I wanted something more kid friendly since I seem to have more and more kids coming out with me now days 

My question is what is a good set up for a advanced  wakeboard wake or will the stock 4 tanks be good enough? I know my Supra I had almost 4500-5000 in it to get the wake the size I liked it when I use to do competitions. will I need to run that much and if so what would you guys  suggest for bags and bags placement?

 

sorry about the grammar and/or spelling I'm doing this off my phone right now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead

750s in each corner and 1000 in the bow and youre gonna have a sick wake.  Ride about 75' at 22mph.   I ride much lighter at slower speeds, but that obviously depends on your ability and likes.  You can always add more weight, but I think this is really the sweet spot for that hull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

Thank you  I really appreciate it I'm just trying to get everything lined up and ordered so I can get my boat on the water soon as the weather turns 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

Does the wedge make that big of a difference or would I be better off just leaving it alone and not use  I know the weight played on my supra really didn't do that much for making the weight bigger I just knocked off a little bit of the lip  i'm assuming that the wedge does the same thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thtrog

We ran the same exact setup as above + 500 in lead, always with the wedge 2 clucks up. You need the right prop with that much weight and at the time we had a custom prop that later became the 2079, but now a 15 inch should be even better suited. Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

 

7 minutes ago, thtrog said:

We ran the same exact setup as above + 500 in lead, always with the wedge 2 clucks up. You need the right prop with that much weight and at the time we had a custom prop that later became the 2079, but now a 15 inch should be even better suited. Good Luck!

I have the catalyzed 350hp with a high-altitude prop do you think I'd be enough to be able to push the 750s with 1000 pound bow sack or should I upgrade my prop to the one that you mentioned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead
51 minutes ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

Does the wedge make that big of a difference or would I be better off just leaving it alone and not use  I know the weight played on my supra really didn't do that much for making the weight bigger I just knocked off a little bit of the lip  i'm assuming that the wedge does the same thing 

I dont like the wedge, others do.  Test it out and see what you like.  I imagine youll have a hell of a time getting it out of the water with that much weight and a wedge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thtrog
1 hour ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

 

I have the catalyzed 350hp with a high-altitude prop do you think I'd be enough to be able to push the 750s with 1000 pound bow sack or should I upgrade my prop to the one that you mentioned 

With the HI 1235 Prop you could run rears at 500 and 600 up front, but over that or adding more than 2-3 people you will need to re-prop. I would go to a the Acme 2315 or even the 2419, if you plan to run that heavy.

Here's double-up running over 4k ballast in a 2009 VLX.

benj-2.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
isellacuras

I have a 2012 which is the same hull.  I use only stock ballast (full) and I like running wedge about 3/4 up in the green bar.  I have 1235 and like thtrog mentioned, I can only run about 500 in each locker and need about 5-600 in the bow to level it out (Im about 500 above sea level).  I don't need all the extra weight and rarely run over stock other than a few bags of lead that I keep in the boat to move around for surfing and balance.  Your boat will make an excellent wakeboard wake as is and you can make it bigger with more weight.  It is also fantastic for slower speeds for kids.  I can get a clean wake at about 15.6-16mph.  I say get the 750's and 1100 bow sack and fill them to what the boat can handle.  You can always dump water to find that super recipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

Nice  i'm not doing competitions anymore so the only time I will ever run that much weight is when I'm  at my lake doing the Fourth of July show that me and another friend of mine do  and usually it's just me a spotter and my friend in my boat when we do the show  but I'm definitely going to look into that prop thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead
54 minutes ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

Nice  i'm not doing competitions anymore so the only time I will ever run that much weight is when I'm  at my lake doing the Fourth of July show that me and another friend of mine do  and usually it's just me a spotter and my friend in my boat when we do the show  but I'm definitely going to look into that prop thank you 

You say that now until you realize that the older malibu hulls make SICK wakes.  They are a perfect ramp, not so vertically poppy as some of the other brands are.  Youll get addicted to riding that big wake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

I've only road behind the MX Z and that was at a competition  that was part of my reasoning for choosing to go with the Malibu  even though I had a supra for years and I love the supra sa wake it's just not kid friendly and I'm hoping to be getting my  nieces and nephews into wake boarding and hopefully my son eventually 

Edited by Kmmarine0352

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RevWil

The wedge really changes the shape of the wake. I loved to drive my '10 VLX without the wedge - it handled like a sports car but I always wanted to wakeboard with the wedge. If you can dial in a great wake without it for advanced riding it will save you lots on fuel. Definitely stow it for beginners because they tend to ride behind the boat and it makes a washboard effect that will be hard for beginners to handle. Congrats on your new ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

I order a combo pack from wakemakers it has a 1000lbs bow sack and 2-750 locker sacks with a tsunami pump and I'm going to try to just use my  hi altitude prop right now and see how that does before I order a new prop thank you everyone for the input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead
31 minutes ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

I order a combo pack from wakemakers it has a 1000lbs bow sack and 2-750 locker sacks with a tsunami pump and I'm going to try to just use my  hi altitude prop right now and see how that does before I order a new prop thank you everyone for the input 

Do yourself a solid and buy at least one more tsunami.  Otherwise youve got 30 mins of filling to look forward to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead

And if you havent made yourself a ghetto gate a suck gate, look at all the how tos on here and make one.  Surfings a lot more fun than Id like it to be and if youve ordered that weight, your boats pretty close to being ready for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352
10 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

And if you havent made yourself a ghetto gate a suck gate, look at all the how tos on here and make one.  Surfings a lot more fun than Id like it to be and if youve ordered that weight, your boats pretty close to being ready for it. 

I already have another tsunami pump from my old boat and I will have to look in to making some kinda gate I have never really tried surfing my supra couldn't make a wave if it tried at least not a good one lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnmarker
9 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Do yourself a solid and buy at least one more tsunami.  Otherwise youve got 30 mins of filling to look forward to. 

@Kmmarine0352  There are probably hundreds of unused Tsunami pumps hanging out in crew members garages.  They come with the package deals and then most everyone switches to built in pump systems and the Tsunami pumps are no longer needed.  I have one the boat just in case one of the reversibles breaks.  Being short sighted I had even wired in extra power outlets for the Tsunami pumps before deciding a couple weeks later that I wanted built in pumps.

Post a Wanted To Buy and get 2 more.  Or better yet just skip them and put reversible pumps in and save yourself a step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead
50 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

@Kmmarine0352  There are probably hundreds of unused Tsunami pumps hanging out in crew members garages.  They come with the package deals and then most everyone switches to built in pump systems and the Tsunami pumps are no longer needed.  I have one the boat just in case one of the reversibles breaks.  Being short sighted I had even wired in extra power outlets for the Tsunami pumps before deciding a couple weeks later that I wanted built in pumps.

Post a Wanted To Buy and get 2 more.  Or better yet just skip them and put reversible pumps in and save yourself a step.

Couldnt agree more.  I dont even leave mine in the boat anymore, worst case Ill drain bag into bilge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

I'm the only one that would want that much weight in the boat and I would be interested in how you wired your extra pumps in I don't like overflow systems I had one in the bow sack in my Supra and after I burnt up two pumps I started to just use a tsunami pump to fill it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
05hammerhead
38 minutes ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

I'm the only one that would want that much weight in the boat and I would be interested in how you wired your extra pumps in I don't like overflow systems I had one in the bow sack in my Supra and after I burnt up two pumps I started to just use a tsunami pump to fill it 

Once you start surfing this will change.  Heres a good diagram fro when you decide to do it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnmarker
1 hour ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

I'm the only one that would want that much weight in the boat and I would be interested in how you wired your extra pumps in I don't like overflow systems I had one in the bow sack in my Supra and after I burnt up two pumps I started to just use a tsunami pump to fill it 

If you're just asking about the power outlets, I just put cigarette lighter outlets on the outboard fiberglass flanges at the top of the rear lockers.  Wired them to the hot at the starter (with 20 amp fuses) and engine ground.  Haven't used them since I installed the reversible pumps.

If you're talking about wiring built in pumps then there are MANY threads on that.  Mostly depends on what era your hard tank ballast is and to what degree the piggyback systems, if any, are already installed.  Peruse the site and/or call Wake makers or Bakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmmarine0352

I just thought I would update everyone I got my bags in the mail last night and I just test fited them in the boat the bow fits good with air in it and the lockers bags seem a little tight is that normal and is there a good place to put the table or just take it out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
t a
Just now, Kmmarine0352 said:

I just thought I would update everyone I got my bags in the mail last night and I just test fited them in the boat the bow fits good with air in it and the lockers bags seem a little tight is that normal and is there a good place to put the table or just take it out 

Take it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
windy1

don't you realize that pictures of your new boat are mandatory on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...