Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Portable dock?

kwebster1

Has anyone found or made an easily portable dock or shore anchoring system? We lake hop a lot and it would be really nice to be able to "beach" without beaching. Just curious if someone has come up with a small easily portable system to do that.

Thanks yall!

• Like 1

By lake hop I mean we go to 5 to 10 different lakes a year so for camping out or whatever it would be cool to be able to beach the boat without damage but be enough on shore to load and unload right on to land. 

Yea, shore spike and anchor buddy for what you are describing.   I bought that setup for Table Rock last year when I didn't think we'd get a slip, but then we lucked out with the slip.   

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:40 AM, kwebster1 said:

Has anyone found or made an easily portable dock or shore anchoring system? We lake hop a lot and it would be really nice to be able to "beach" without beaching. Just curious if someone has come up with a small easily portable system to do that.

Thanks yall!

We have a portable inflatable dock system here in Australia if you are interested, Ill post a photo. I am the local rep and could organise shipping to the states if interested. Weighs about 50kg (105 pounds) deflated.IMG_4033_zpsh6rx0blp.png

That looks really cool.  How hard is it to anchor to shore?   How does it do in rough water with a boat attached?   What is the overall lenght? What does something like that cost? 

It's a neat idea but I see one major problem, dock rash! Lets say a boat goes by behind and forces all these waves to come into shore making the bow of the boat rise up and down, causing scratches in the gel coat. Could you have a normal size slip that you tie up to, or even just a straight dock that you could use fenders with?

edit: Now that I think of it. Combining this inflatable dock product and a boat buddy anchor system would he great, just use the dock as a ramp to your boat. 

Edited by Cole2001
57 minutes ago, Katman1100 said:

That looks really cool.  How hard is it to anchor to shore?   How does it do in rough water with a boat attached?   What is the overall lenght? What does something like that cost? 

Not too bad to anchor to shore, 2 anchors at the shore entry point (to stop it drifting out and pushing onto shore) an rope either side halfway down anchored back to shore diagonally to stop it drifting from side to side, then ultimately a weighted anchor off the end of the "Y" to stop bounce. like any temporary structure they don't like really rough water (but either does my boat banging up against a permeant structure) they are only short term temporary. Exchange rate is in your favour, approx. $3000 Australian dollars or $2300 USD plus delivery 

4 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

It's a neat idea but I see one major problem, dock rash! Lets say a boat goes by behind and forces all these waves to come into shore making the bow of the boat rise up and down, causing scratches in the gel coat. Could you have a normal size slip that you tie up to, or even just a straight dock that you could use fenders with? 

There is a straight pontoon model also.

IMG_4037_zps7fwqe4sj.png

1 hour ago, Katman1100 said:

its approx. 7.3m long

Hi AussieSkier, these look interesting. I'm based in Australia and ski most of time on the Murray at Echuca - one of these would solve multiple problems! How do I find out more information? By the way, this is my first post, long time lurker - fantastic site!

24 minutes ago, tws3 said:

Hi AussieSkier, these look interesting. I'm based in Australia and ski most of time on the Murray at Echuca - one of these would solve multiple problems! How do I find out more information? By the way, this is my first post, long time lurker - fantastic site!

tws3, you can private message me and I can email you additional information.

2 hours ago, NCVride said:

@AussieSkier Very cool idea.  My only question is how is the stability when walking in it.  I can barely stand on a tube in the water when it's not being towed.  

Ever stand on an inflatable paddleboard? Stable as a wood dock.

58539-7555291.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

The one I have used/seen is not even close to a wooden dock, however it is floating and only a meter wide so how could it be.

Not to bad though and a bucket load better than walking out to the boat. The one we use is a T and has a pair of poles at the back of the cross piece that you can hold on to. Think 3 teenagers on the T, 1 adult and a loaded G23 coming past 20' away every 5 minutes.

They do well for something you can roll up and put in a bag.

6 minutes ago, strada1 said:

The one I have used/seen is not even close to a wooden dock, however it is floating and only a meter wide so how could it be.

We have 3' wide fingers on our dock.... wood frame & top with styrofoam floats. My 12'6" x 31" wide iSUP is easily as rigid as the docks. Most people have no clue that it's inflatable until they see me deflate it.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky