Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dark or light vinyl

Shanew8250

Does anyone have black or charcoal vinyl in there boat and do you think it is way hotter? I am tired of my light vinyl being stained. Before you start I know it will be hotter to the touch but how much really. 

Saw this at the boat show.  I think it looks sweet.  I'm curious too as to how hot it will really get.  My light vinyl gets hot and we will splash it a bit.  I think I could get away with it here in MN but down south would be a different story.

Hell, it might even help on the cold days here.

file.php?id=37

i would love dark or near black.... although i have towels covering my seats at all time anyhow...

stains: i think dark or black would be great: but one thing i'm questioning if it will show sun tan lotion stains/spots like a mofo, its very difficult to get rid of those and i cant help but think black would show that like crazy. especially if the seats are matt finish i would think it to absorb more and be more difficult to clean off "assuming you can" 

also while on the topic: NEVER i repeat NEVER buy coppertone Kids sun lotion that comes in that GREEN/Aqua bottle, it will spot anything and everything you touch i dont know what it is about that stuff in the green bottle but if i ever see it, it goes straight in the trash... i banned it from our lake house... the pink/ baby stuff and the normal brown stuff seem to be fine but that green crap...look out..it stains everything...not to mention its horrible and does not rub in at all either... 

2 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

i would love dark or near black.... although i have towels covering my seats at all time anyhow...

stains: i think dark or black would be great: but one thing i'm questioning if it will show sun tan lotion stains/spots like a mofo, its very difficult to get rid of those and i cant help but think black would show that like crazy. especially if the seats are matt finish i would think it to absorb more and be more difficult to clean off "assuming you can" 

also while on the topic: NEVER i repeat NEVER buy coppertone Kids sun lotion that comes in that GREEN/Aqua bottle, it will spot anything and everything you touch i dont know what it is about that stuff in the green bottle but if i ever see it, it goes straight in the trash... i banned it from our lake house... the pink/ baby stuff and the normal brown stuff seem to be fine but that green crap...look out..it stains everything...not to mention its horrible and does not rub in at all either... 

Thanks for the tip on the sunscreen!!

I have a few black accents in my vinyl. Sunscreen does stain it. It cleans up easily with some babes or vinyl sauce or boat candy stuff. Not just the bronzer stuff (that stuff stains everything and isn't alllowed on the boat any more) even the regular stuff will leave a white residue on the black panels. 

13 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I have a few black accents in my vinyl. Sunscreen does stain it. It cleans up easily with some babes or vinyl sauce or boat candy stuff. Not just the bronzer stuff (that stuff stains everything and isn't alllowed on the boat any more) even the regular stuff will leave a white residue on the black panels. 

do those really take it off or do they just give you a wet look that hides it? seems after whatever you put on dries the suncreen shows again.... i think i read someone say to try Wd40?

My white vinyl (Nautique) is never too hot to touch, even when it's 112 degrees outside baking in the sun. It gets hot, but not anything like the colored sections of vinyl do.  

The thermophysics (I made up that word) are that black is the absorption of all visible frequencies of sunlight, and white is a reflection of all visible frequencies.  All of the colors are somewhere in between.  It violates well established science to think colored vinyl will not get hot.  The newer material doesn't even feel like vinyl, more like denim, and does not get as hot, but you still cannot escape some natural laws here.  

I had a Malibu with a black strip up on top, and you could easily feel the difference in the gelcoat too.  

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

do those really take it off or do they just give you a wet look that hides it? seems after whatever you put on dries the suncreen shows again.... i think i read someone say to try Wd40?

Yes. The cleaners do. Not the protectant. I actually don't care for babes and use the boat candy stuff most of the time. Vinyl sauce worked equally well. I use the cleaner and a soft bristle brush once a year and use 303 as a protectant. 303 is slicker than snot. 

7 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Yes. The cleaners do. Not the protectant. I actually don't care for babes and use the boat candy stuff most of the time. Vinyl sauce worked equally well. I use the cleaner and a soft bristle brush once a year and use 303 as a protectant. 303 is slicker than snot. 

ive been using the 303 all purpose/multi surface cleaner, how does that compare to the vinyl sauce. 

i also used the 303 protectant a few times on the dash and other things. although on the black dash i have a few sunscreen spots i'd like to get rid of better, mainly the arm-rest area . , 

hardest spots are from sunscreen and spider droppings here and there , once i see those i spray up under the boat lift with "bug-stop" and that eliminates them for about 2 weeks etc.. but man do spider droppings show up and they are freaking hard to get rid of, i could not figure it out for a long time until my neighbor recognized what they were... tiny black spots very difficult to remove. 

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

ive been using the 303 all purpose/multi surface cleaner, how does that compare to the vinyl sauce. 

i also used the 303 protectant a few times on the dash and other things. although on the black dash i have a few sunscreen spots i'd like to get rid of better, mainly the arm-rest area . , 

hardest spots are from sunscreen and spider droppings here and there , once i see those i spray up under the boat lift with "bug-stop" and that eliminates them for about 2 weeks etc.. but man do spider droppings show up and they are freaking hard to get rid of, i could not figure it out for a long time until my neighbor recognized what they were... tiny black spots very difficult to remove. 

One of my friends has a misting system for mosquitoes.. He states that also solved his spider issue too... you can have it automated by time or have it mist while your boat is out... found a link to one (houston based)http://www.houstonmosquitosystems.com/how-it-works.php  and you can do your own research.. but should keep the spiders poo out of boat ;)

Edited by kerpluxal

@kerpluxal ive had great success with bug-stop spray every few weeks but "when i remembered to do it. the wife is a bit skittish with pesticides and newborns etc.. so i tried to do it at the end of the weekend when boat is not on lift and then put boat in after i sprayed. 

thanks for the link going to check it out!

Demand CS

I've used this on my dock for over 10 years. Spray 2 times a season. It's "Micro encapsulated". This means it leaves microscopic globules on the surface where you spray. The spiders get it on themselves when they walk through it and it kills them. It last for a couple of months in my case. Neighbors that don't use this have spiders and webs all over their dock and boats.

The GS22 I sat in at the boat show had a medium gray interior (lighter than the MC pictured above, but still darker than your normal vinyl).

Talking to the dealer rep, I asked about how hot it got.  He basically said it does get warmer for sure, but not to an insane level.  If it was a southern boat, he wouldn't recommend it.  He also didn't recommend it if really young children will be on board.

I did like the look a lot.  

One other thing with the darker colors, it seams (no pun intended) to be more prone to cracking.  I've seen several boats, including my old Sunsetter, where the darker vinyl was cracked but the lighter was still ok. 

i have an all charcoal interior because i was sick of cleaning my white interior constantly.  it does get a little warm in direct sun but anything under the bimini or a towel stays cool.  i love the way it looks and really pops

17 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

The GS22 I sat in at the boat show had a medium gray interior (lighter than the MC pictured above, but still darker than your normal vinyl).

Talking to the dealer rep, I asked about how hot it got.  He basically said it does get warmer for sure, but not to an insane level.  If it was a southern boat, he wouldn't recommend it.  He also didn't recommend it if really young children will be on board.

I did like the look a lot.  

I talked to the MC dealer (I went to the same boat show as the picture above) and he said the black is a new vinyl they are producing that doesn't get hot.  He mentioned something about special material that stays cool even on super hot sunny days, and that was all I heard........my next stop was at the Malibu display so I was lucky just to retain even that little bit from the MC guy.  Anyways, my point is that MC has some new vinyl that apparently doesn't get hot, not sure if Nautique and others are using the same stuff yet or not.

1 hour ago, Sixer said:

I talked to the MC dealer (I went to the same boat show as the picture above) and he said the black is a new vinyl they are producing that doesn't get hot.  He mentioned something about special material that stays cool even on super hot sunny days, and that was all I heard........my next stop was at the Malibu display so I was lucky just to retain even that little bit from the MC guy.  Anyways, my point is that MC has some new vinyl that apparently doesn't get hot, not sure if Nautique and others are using the same stuff yet or not.

Either he's one of those sales people that will say anything to make a sale - and let other pick up the pieces - OR - Master Craft has figured out a way to make (or buy) IR reflective vinyl.  I'm doubtful but would love to see a side by side demonstration - and see how it holds up over time.  Anybody want to do a patent search?

4 hours ago, Sixer said:

They have been selling this dark vinyl for a couple years with the same sales pitch.  

I've never seen one in the sun, but I'm betting it gets as hot as expected.