Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater LED Lights for swim platform

mjkelleykids

As I thought the light bar that I left underwater for 24 hours had water in it I didn't have it hooked up so I'm not sure if it works or if it ever worked since it was  buried in my garage 

11 hours ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

As I thought the light bar that I left underwater for 24 hours had water in it I didn't have it hooked up so I'm not sure if it works or if it ever worked since it was  buried in my garage 

Bummer.
What brand was it? 
Did they have a rating for it? 

It was a cheap nilight led light bar I got I'm sure it would hold up to being mounted on your tower or above the swim platform I think the  manufacturer says it's only waterproof up to 1 m for 30 minutes or something like that 

I think the cheapest way to do underwater lights will be the plug light or spend the money and get transom lights installed but if you go that way I would get rgb leds but that's me

I have a drain plug light too. It's not nearly as bright as the OEM 6 LED light. I have to imagine it doesn't even begin to compare to the 9 LED light. Plus it's a PITA to pull out every time I cross the state line.

B922A088-82C5-42F7-B042-2EDBC74F90D5_zpsAs you can see here the lifeform 9s completely light up the wake, making there almost zero need for lights facing backwards. We ussally run with just those and the led interier lights on in the boat, along with nav of course.  I think it's really worth the money to get some decent ones. 

1 minute ago, Cole2001 said:

As you can see here the lifeform 9s completely light up the wake, making there almost zero need for lights facing backwards. We ussally run with just those and the led interier lights on in the boat, along with nav of course.  I think it's really worth the money to get some decent ones. 

That's cool.  Where is surfing or skiing at night legal?

@minnmarker   I'm pretty sure it isn't but there isn't ever water pratrol on the lake, nevemind at night. Also when you bring the  police Sargent along with you I feel like we have a free get out of jail card. The pictures don't even justify the coolness of the light, they look way better in person. 

• Like 3

I go to a private lake and when I ride at night I tie glow sticks to my lifejacket my bindings on my board the rope handle every 10 foot on the rope and it looks pretty cool at night then you add the led light bar I use to have on the old boat and you can see everything really well 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I really want to get some underwater lights on my new LSV before summer. I like the Lifeform lights, but didn't really want to drop $700 on lights right now. Any other suggestions? The plug light is tempting. 

Does anyone have any experience with this light?

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Lumitec-Seablaze-3-Blue-Led-Under-Water-Light-p/lum101056.htm

Also, I'm super nervous to drill into my boat. Any step by step installation instructions out there? 

Edited by LS1boarder
On 2/2/2017 at 6:21 AM, BlasiusModified said:

IMG_2914.jpg

this was my old 2000 Sunsetter with a BoatPlugLight.com setup.   took all of about 15 minutes to install, and looked awesome.

Do you have a wedge? Is it up? Doesnt seem to be blocking any light if it is.
How do the lifeforms @2,000~ lumens and $300 compate to the boat plug light TRIM TAB LIGHT HALO PRD 8000 LUMEN for $200 compare? Seems like a lot more light output. Also would mount this on the bottom of the swim platform for two reasons. First the plug light seems as if it will be blocked by the wedge. Second I dont feel like drilling into my hull.
Will two screws hold this bad boy on at full speed?

2 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

Do you have a wedge? Is it up? Doesnt seem to be blocking any light if it is.
How do the lifeforms @2,000~ lumens and $300 compate to the boat plug light TRIM TAB LIGHT HALO PRD 8000 LUMEN for $200 compare? Seems like a lot more light output. Also would mount this on the bottom of the swim platform for two reasons. First the plug light seems as if it will be blocked by the wedge. Second I dont feel like drilling into my hull.
Will two screws hold this bad boy on at full speed?

Where are you going to run the wire?

16 hours ago, formulaben said:

Where are you going to run the wire?

small amount will be exposed, but I will run it to the hole already cut for the stereo remote. Very slight modifications will need to be made, but nothing crazy. 

Do you have any experience with any of this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, AJwakedevil said:

small amount will be exposed, but I will run it to the hole already cut for the stereo remote. Very slight modifications will need to be made, but nothing crazy. 

Do you have any experience with any of this?

Not with that, but plenty with drilling holes in my boat.  Me, I would just drill the holes and not worry about it.  If you've never done it, it seems crazy but it's really not a big deal. Just MEASURE 3 times (minimum) before drilling, use a proper drill bit, chamfer the hole after drilling, and then finish off with 3M 4000 UV sealant.  She'll be waterproof, I promise. ;)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, formulaben said:

Not with that, but plenty with drilling holes in my boat.  Me, I would just drill the holes and not worry about it.  If you've never done it, it seems crazy but it's really not a big deal. Just MEASURE 3 times (minimum) before drilling, use a proper drill bit, chamfer the hole after drilling, and then finish off with 3M 4000 UV sealant.  She'll be waterproof, I promise. ;)

dumb question.. what is the purpose of chamfer'ing?

58 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

dumb question.. what is the purpose of chamfer'ing?

not dumb, meant to prevent the gel from spider cracking around the holes later on.

• Like 1

No doubt there are several videos out there, but here is one that shows the chamfering after the drilling.  Also note what he says he checked there is nothing on the backside...on the transom there are steps, pitot hoses, and other obstructions you'll want to ensure you're avoiding.  Other than that, you should be fine.  DRILL, BABY, DRILL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxCTUf6izPk

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

No doubt there are several videos out there, but here is one that shows the chamfering after the drilling.  Also note what he says he checked there is nothing on the backside...on the transom there are steps, pitot hoses, and other obstructions you'll want to ensure you're avoiding.  Other than that, you should be fine.  DRILL, BABY, DRILL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxCTUf6izPk

Thanks for the link.
In other news, hows Boise? I visited once 3 years ago with my wakeboard team. Had a comp. on a private lake tucked away in the west and hit a small cable park on the way back to town. Is that still out there?

• 5 years later...

I've been diving for several years, and in that time, I've changed many lamps to help me illuminate the area of water I needed to see. I have been diving in the pool for the past month because there have been frequent storms at sea, and it wouldn't be safe to go to serious depths. All the time, I used LED lights from DivingJ, but in the pool, instructors use backlighting https://www.amazon.com/car-lights-car-led-lights/dp/B09L86JRRM, so at any depth, the area is light enough for me to swim without using the additional lights.

Edited by DonByars