Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater LED Lights for swim platform

mjkelleykids

Anyone out there had any success with reasonably priced underwater LED lights for rear swim platform for your Malibu.. I have an 06 wakesetter and has been a great boat.. Put in some LED lights for the interior and love the look in the evenings and thinking about adding an external swim platform underwater mod .  I have looked around and found price ranges from $25 -$600 for the light package itself. Then will come the 2 hrs of labor to do the wiring.. Hoping someone out there has found a product they liked already and reasonablly priced and save us some time of looking around and reading reviews. Any help would be great. Thank you..  Mike

When people respond, can they comment if they notice bug issues.  Ive heard mixed reviews on whether theyll attract bugs or not.  Fish for sure, but Im more concerned about the bugs here in MN.

Hey I had some put on my old boat and the only thing that I had go wrong was  wiring them in so that they came on with the rest of my LEDs but my old boat was a supra launch with the supra touch vision so I'm not sure what it would be like wiring them into a Malibu

On 1/23/2017 at 3:58 PM, 05hammerhead said:

When people respond, can they comment if they notice bug issues.  Ive heard mixed reviews on whether theyll attract bugs or not.  Fish for sure, but Im more concerned about the bugs here in MN.

I never had an issue with bugs with the underwater leds it was only my cockpit LEDs that ever attracted a lot of bugs and I'm in northern Iowa so I'd assume it be the same as Minnesota and I found that if I switched them from blue to a dimmer setting like red I didn't have that bad of a problem with bugs 

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies and the thought about the changing color to dimmer colors for the bugs. they are bad in NC..  can you let me know where you got the Lifeform 9 lights and cost.. I will try and research them tonight. Thank you

Has anyone tried putting a automotive lightbar under the swim platform? 

You can get some off amazon that are ip68 and stupid cheap. 
I have kicked around the idea of doing one that way. Also don't have to drill holes into your hull. 

32 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

I have kicked around the idea of doing one that way. Also don't have to drill holes into your hull. 

I don't think it would work do to the force of the water that would be put on it I had a Baja style light bar on my tower and it worked amazing for night sets 

But once you start moving it would be above the water and not have the drag on it. 

If they are truly IP68 the water intrusion shouldn't be an issue and fitting a mount that won't move wouldn't be hard at all.

9 hours ago, cowwboy said:

But once you start moving it would be above the water and not have the drag on it. 

If they are truly IP68 the water intrusion shouldn't be an issue and fitting a mount that won't move wouldn't be hard at all.

In theory it should work I just feel that the lights are not as watertight as you might think 

Me to, I am not all to sure how much I trust the amazon china knock offs IP68 rating.

They are cheap enough that I have thought of buying some, disassemble them and reseal them. Then throw one in my goats water tank for a week and see how well it holds up. 

• Like 1

I bought an eBay special drain plug light last year for about $30.00 bucks.  We boat at Norris and Cumberland, which has very clear water, and the little booger delivered very good results.  Plus I didn't drill any holes in the boat, so install took just a few minutes.  I wired it in-line with the stern anchor light.  Don't have any pics of the boat in the water, but these are my tests in the garage when I got it.  You can see it lit up my 3 car garage at night pretty well!

UWLED1.jpgUWLED2.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cowwboy said:

Me to, I am not all to sure how much I trust the amazon china knock offs IP68 rating.

They are cheap enough that I have thought of buying some, disassemble them and reseal them. Then throw one in my goats water tank for a week and see how well it holds up. 

If you try this let me know how it works my new boat I got (09 Malibu vlx) has transom lights already but I need some docking lights yet and I don't want to spend the kinda money I did on my light bar I had on my Supra so if I can find a better priced light bar I would be happy 

32 minutes ago, EchelonMike said:

I bought an eBay special drain plug light last year for about $30.00 bucks.  We boat at Norris and Cumberland, which has very clear water, and the little booger delivered very good results.  Plus I didn't drill any holes in the boat, so install took just a few minutes.  I wired it in-line with the stern anchor light.  Don't have any pics of the boat in the water, but these are my tests in the garage when I got it.  You can see it lit up my 3 car garage at night pretty well!

UWLED1.jpgUWLED2.jpg

Looks good 

4 hours ago, cowwboy said:

Now oe thats a great idea. I put 2 of the 2x3 cubes on my little guy's go cart. So far so good. $19 for the pair

3 hours ago, Kmmarine0352 said:

If you try this let me know how it works my new boat I got (09 Malibu vlx) has transom lights already but I need some docking lights yet and I don't want to spend the kinda money I did on my light bar I had on my Supra so if I can find a better priced light bar I would be happy 

Do you have a link? I'm sold

If they are above the water line, I had a 52" "eyourlife" brand on my truck and put it on my tower for a season.

I just added bimini clamps at the correct width and used L brackets to mount the lights to my titan tower. It worked great and after 3 years on my truck under the bumper, it was still working when i traded the truck in. 

Mine worked great the whole time I had it too but it was never fully under water at anytime that's why I really don't think it would work the best I had one on my tower and it was the best thing for night riding 

On 1/26/2017 at 9:41 AM, cowwboy said:

A guy at work has an LSV with an Illusion tower & bimini. He has a 14" LED light bar pointing forward. And like a 36" curved light bar pointing backwards. Underneath the bimini. It's a lot of light. Illegal as hell. But it works great for surfing.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

A guy at work has an LSV with an Illusion tower & bimini. He has a 14" LED light bar pointing forward. And like a 36" curved light bar pointing backwards. Underneath the bimini. It's a lot of light. Illegal as hell. But it works great for surfing.

He wants to put it under the swim platform