Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fix mistake on my registration or ignore it?

Nitrousbird

I got my boat registration renewal in the mail today.  Looking at the details, it has the year wrong on the boat (2002 when it is a 2001).

This is the 2nd time I am renewing it (renews every 3 years).  I don't recall it being incorrect before but perhaps I overlooked it.  I wonder if it is worth bothering to get it corrected, as I'm sure I will get put through some big run around to do it.  No one ever checks it; we get an inspection early every season and the Ranger is out all the time on the water but has never given us an issue previously (because unless you run the HIN, you would never know and probably wouldn't even notice then).  

Is it worth the hassle of correcting or not?

You should correct it.  If Ohio doesn't issue titles for boats then the registration serves as your ownership document.  If the year is incorrect on either the title or registration it could cause problems down the road if/when you sell it.  

Don't know about Ohio, but it would be an easy fix here in Kansas.

In addition to the above post it may also mean you pay more in taxes. A one year difference would be small however I fixed the exact same issue with a 5 minute phone call. Double check your vin and make sure of the year of your boat. A boat built after July of 01 is probably a 02. 

• Like 2
Just now, Sailvi767 said:

In addition to the above post it may also mean you pay more in taxes. A one year difference would be small however I fixed the exact same issue with a 5 minute phone call. Double check your vin and make sure of the year of your boat. A boat built after July of 01 is probably a 02. 

:plus1:

Came back to add something very similar and found that you beat me to it.  :thumbup:

Just now, Sailvi767 said:

I don't believe they pay annual property tax in Ohio like we do here in NC on all vehicles, boats, trailers, etc.  Their home property tax is generally much higher though.

2 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

Sadly I am in Mecktaxyoutodeathberg county so I probably pay as much or more in property taxes. I really need to move a few miles north!

Move to Denver, everyone else is!! :cry:

Edited by Ndawg12
2 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I don't believe they pay annual property tax in Ohio like we do here in NC on all vehicles, boats, trailers, etc.  Their home property tax is generally much higher though.

Very correct.  I wasn't aware that you had to pay personal property tax on vehicles and toys; I thought it was only SC doing that in that area.  That sucks.  Our property taxes are very high.

2 hours ago, Kojak said:

You should correct it.  If Ohio doesn't issue titles for boats then the registration serves as your ownership document.  If the year is incorrect on either the title or registration it could cause problems down the road if/when you sell it.  

Don't know about Ohio, but it would be an easy fix here in Kansas.

Ohio issues boat titles.

20 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Very correct.  I wasn't aware that you had to pay personal property tax on vehicles and toys; I thought it was only SC doing that in that area.  That sucks.  Our property taxes are very high.

Ohio issues boat titles.

If the year is correct on the title then it should be an easy fix on the registration.  If the title is incorrect then you'll definitely want to get it corrected.  Probably have to contact the Ohio DMV.