Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump

skylerchamblee

Those are submersible pumps, meaning you have to throw them into the water.  Used for filling extra bags in the boat.

Shurflo piranha 1100 from.wake makers is an easy upgrade usually but I'm not a 100% sure what's in your boat.  It will also require larger hoses.

Edited by vanamp

As @vanamp says, you'll need to upgrade your hoses before you can do much better on the stock ballast fill pumps. But then since your stock tank connections are for the smaller 3/4" lines, most of the benefit from a bigger line would be lost at the smaller fill/empty connection point.

For bags, you can go with the Fly High 750s, which will fill to around 650 lbs. or you can get some larger custom bags from Wakemakers. Then you'll have to decide if you want to fill them with the toss over submersible pumps, which are relatively inexpensive, or if you want to plumb in a reversible pump system.

I did the toss over pumps for a season and then decided to plumb in reversibles with the Wakemakers LBS bags last year because of the convenience. After having reversibles for a year, I'll never go back.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

As @vanamp says, you'll need to upgrade your hoses before you can do much better on the stock ballast fill pumps. But then since your stock tank connections are for the smaller 3/4" lines, most of the benefit from a bigger line would be lost at the smaller fill/empty connection point.

For bags, you can go with the Fly High 750s, which will fill to around 650 lbs. or you can get some larger custom bags from Wakemakers. Then you'll have to decide if you want to fill them with the toss over submersible pumps, which are relatively inexpensive, or if you want to plumb in a reversible pump system.

I did the toss over pumps for a season and then decided to plumb in reversibles with the Wakemakers LBS bags last year because of the convenience. After having reversibles for a year, I'll never go back.

Thanks guys. Gonna try this first. We have a 3 and 5 year old that likes to help. This will be their job. 

1 minute ago, skylerchamblee said:

Thanks guys. Gonna try this first. We have a 3 and 5 year old that likes to help. This will be their job. 

Good plan, and you can do all that for $500 or so.

One more thing, spend an extra $100 on a 2nd pump so that you can empty and fill both bags at the same time if you're switching from regular to goofy side for surfing. WM has their Elevate Turbo Ballast Pump for $99 right now and I've been happy with it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NWBU said:

Good plan, and you can do all that for $500 or so.

One more thing, spend an extra $100 on a 2nd pump so that you can empty and fill both bags at the same time if you're switching from regular to goofy side for surfing. WM has their Elevate Turbo Ballast Pump for $99 right now and I've been happy with it.

Will do! Will that work with all bags? Any bag recommendations. 

It works with Fly High bags out of the box but I think WM has fittings that would adapt it to other bags for a few $. Give them a call to check.

I've only had the Fly High 750s and their semi-custom LBS bags. The Fly Highs are bulletproof and one of the LBS bags tore out the first use after I switch over to those. WM replaced it but I check the bags more than I used to now.

After you try out the locker bags, you may want more weight in the bow to bring the nose down and lengthen out the wave pocket. I'm running about 600 lbs in the bow right now but may play around with a walkway bag to free up the bow for the kids.

Right now they actually have all clearance items an extra 20% off. Or you can ask for the forum discount to receive 10% off. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/elevate-turbo-ballast-pump.html

I use this pump with a Ronix bag and a wakemakers adapter and it works great. Also the built in pumps are exactly the same in my old tige. 

So I got some feedback from from wm today. Has anyone replaced their 800 pirhana pumps with the 1100's? It shows the same fitting size just curious if I will run into issues if I bought the 1100 to replace the 800s I wished I just had the boat beside me. It's in a storage unit about 20 min away. 

The 800 has a .75" barb outlet the 1100 has a 1.125" barb outlet. Requires larger hose as well as larger tank inlet fittings. Not a big deal if you are building from scratch or tossing tanks for sacs.