Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

I have pictures, but can't figure out how to post them.

Edited by Ronnie
All for sale ads have to go in the Classifieds Section.
1 minute ago, NAW said:

^ that's a KILLER deal! Someone's going to get hooked up.

my 23 went into production yesterday...getting a bit antsy having been without a boat since Memorial Day!

Get them to send you pics!

More importantly than the cosmetic refresh, does anyone know specifically what was changed on the hull to improve the surf/wake performance?  Dealer told me it was a new hull but didn't have specifics.  Anyone in the know?

38 minutes ago, Brianborder said:

More importantly than the cosmetic refresh, does anyone know specifically what was changed on the hull to improve the surf/wake performance?  Dealer told me it was a new hull but didn't have specifics.  Anyone in the know?

Deep deep deep

2 hours ago, Brianborder said:

I can only assume the reason the specifics aren't really provided (1mm shaved here, deeper chine there, shifting of weight to over there, etc) is because a very minor change in the running surface can have a major impact on performance.  Plus, it's all part of the recipe that will differentiate the boat from others. So, call the changes a trade secret....dealers don't get the information unless they really pry.  

But, for most, it's not about what specific changes were made on the running surface, it's the result that most are interested in.

Big, deep, new hull and deck and a heavy 23' boat that still maintains a lot of the traditional Malibu styling.  The riders have told me it's good....VERY good. I'll find out in a few weeks and report back. 

Edited by NAW
20 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Yes!

I hope to see you there. Still working out the details of next weekend... have a grad party that day too... but I am pretty determined to make it happen!

• Like 3

I was under the impression than the running surface did not change much if at all.   But hey, what do I know.

Frankly, the wakeboard wake and surf wave behind my 17 is incredible, so I'm not sure what really needs to be changed.  More freeboard and more weight, in and of itself, is going to help enlarge the wave and wake similar to adding ballast capacity. 

Edited by Chattwake
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

I was under the impression than the running surface did not change much if at all.   But hey, what do I know.

Frankly, the wakeboard wake and surf wave behind my 17 is incredible, so I'm not sure what really needs to be changed.  More freeboard and more weight, in and of itself, is going to help enlarge the wave and wake similar to adding ballast capacity. 

Hopefully they stick to the Toyota mentallity... "if it aint broke don't fix it."  The boat also does not porpoise at 30 mph! no need for tape....:biggrin:

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, IXFE said:

The only issue with the 23 surf wave is not size, it's shape... specifically on the regular side being laid back with little to no lip.  The 25, 24, and M235 are all superior shape to the current 23.  I'm hoping they addressed that with the new one.  

I have a theory that the 17" prop is part of the difference, but I have no evidence to prove that.  

I wouldn't suspect the prop that much, because 2016 25 LSV has 15" prop, and i have not heard of dramatic differences in the wave between 2016/2017 model years.  

I suspect it is the deeper draft, Malibu is specking all of these at 32", the other boats are shallower.

26 minutes ago, IXFE said:

The only issue with the 23 surf wave is not size, it's shape... specifically on the regular side being laid back with little to no lip.  The 25, 24, and M235 are all superior shape to the current 23.  I'm hoping they addressed that with the new one.  

I have a theory that the 17" prop is part of the difference, but I have no evidence to prove that.  

I hear the issue with the regular side 23 LSV surf wave is just a matter of skill...

Just now, NWBU said:

I hear the issue with the regular side 23 LSV surf wave is just a matter of skill...

My '14 LSV was exactly like other have mentioned.  The regular side was tough to get just right, goofy was always perfect.  It was certainly possible to get the regular good, but it required a slight list and the boat had to be weighted right.  The 25 and the new MXZs are much easier to get dialed in IMO.  My MXZ is literally just push button and it's really good.  Out of all the changes between the boats it's the one my wife and I appreciate the most.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chattwake said:

I have heard the same and I am strongly considering pulling my 17' off the market and keeping it until I am ready for something bigger. I am afraid the heavier boat will require the 450 upgrade......This would put it at 10k more than my current boat.....Chatt- are you going to WakeFest??? 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I have heard the same and I am strongly considering pulling my 17' off the market and keeping it until I am ready for something bigger. I am afraid the heavier boat will require the 450 upgrade......This would put it at 10k more than my current boat.....Chatt- are you going to WakeFest??? 

No you aren't, LOL

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

So appropriate labels for presets would have been "Surf Right" and "Skim Left"... 

Skim.... whats that??? That kid is 8.... just have to know how to set it up...but generally you are correct, the other side is crazy big surf style

Edited by ConnollyCrew
7 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Skim.... whats that??? That kid is 8.... just have to know how to set it up...but generally you are correct, the other side is crazy big surf style

Nice pic! I'm going to start using IG as a workaround to Photobucket too.

The set up is key and I do love surfing the regular side wave dialed like yours. Was just doing that on a 2017 this morning, same as most Friday mornings this summer, and same thing last summer on a 2016. I'm fairly certain that 2016 was as dialed as any 23 LSV out there, and we're using the same recipe on the 2017. But as you mention, and the former owner of that 2016 says above, it's still just not in the same league as the goofy side.