Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

I think Malibu has to be VERY careful with the 23LSV.  Part of the reason for 23LSV success is price point.  It is significantly less money than G23/Ri237/X23 if they add too many features or change too much this price point will change.  Right now they have a great mix of size, features, and price.

I dont think they can add more ballast as stock without affecting the USCG approval for persons allowed on boat.  

Im surprised Malibu doesnt have a competitor for the 25' and 21' boats.  Particularly the 21' as G is the only boat there, the Xstar being the other giant at 25'.  Centurion is starting at these areas but well see how that goes.

I think that someone needs to come out with a budget monster(counter intuitive), but a big freeboard boat shouldnt necessarily cost $150k.  

As for features to add: Flip back middle seats in malibus are the worst in the market, take notes from MC as I believe theirs is the best and nautique coming in 2nd.  Better walkthrough, Nautiques is the best here.  Auto-wake like supras, would surely help my wife out.  Solidify the engine divider panels for those adding more weight(who isnt?) Lights on the back of the boat for surfing.  Lights on the tower are just blinding and while I know night surfing is dangerous and illegal, so is speeding.

2 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I think Malibu has to be VERY careful with the 23LSV.  Part of the reason for 23LSV success is price point.  It is significantly less money than G23/Ri237/X23 if they add too many features or change too much this price point will change.  Right now they have a great mix of size, features, and price.

I dont think this boat is competing with the other boats mentioned, gotta compare it to SAN 230s, XTs and Supra SAs. 

1 minute ago, 05hammerhead said:

I dont think they can add more ballast as stock without affecting the USCG approval for persons allowed on boat.  

23 isn't rated by coast guard at all, so...

• Like 1

At least here in my small corner of the world, the SAN 230, or MC XT are few and far between.  I agree they are not competing with those listed.  I am saying Malibu has to be careful not to add so many features, etc.  That it falls into that price category.  They are in a sweet spot right now.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

23 isn't rated by coast guard at all, so...

You know what I mean.  USGA guidelines, NMMA certification.  Additional ballast in the boat takes this number down.

389119.jpeg

4 hours ago, DarkSide said:

At least here in my small corner of the world, the SAN 230, or MC XT are few and far between.  I agree they are not competing with those listed.  I am saying Malibu has to be careful not to add so many features, etc.  That it falls into that price category.  They are in a sweet spot right now.

I think those are few and far between everywhere, in fact Natique guys mentioned the likelyhood of the 230 going away after this year.  I agree with you that it needs to not be in that price category.  Definitely needs to be a cheaper alternative to the M series boats.

34 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

You know what I mean.  USGA guidelines, NMMA certification.  Additional ballast in the boat takes this number down.

389119.jpeg

But to be clear the number is an industry guideline (NMMA), not law (USCG).  MB Sports isn't a NMMA member and their boats don't have these plates at all.

• Like 2

Although I don't plan to  be in the market anytime soon, I for one hope they do not go for the larger freeboard or add a walk through.  Not having those two "features" is what drew me to the boat when I was looking.

The G series and M235 are obnoxiously tall, and we spend too much time laying on the sunpad to have a walk through there.  Had a flip up walk through on our old boat, and never used it.  They are over rated.

18 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

But to be clear the number is an industry guideline (NMMA), not law (USCG).  MB Sports isn't a NMMA member and their boats don't have these plates at all.

IN MN its the law.

19 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

IN MN its the law.

Have you ever seen anyone get weighed? I don't even know how they would do that. Counting people is one thing, weighing them and the other contents is another. I just don't see how it is enforceable. 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Please explain what "it" is? 

In the MN state law it notes that the number of persons allowed on a boat is equal or less than what is shown on the plaque.

2 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

Have you ever seen anyone get weighed? I don't even know how they would do that. Counting people is one thing, weighing them and the other contents is another. I just don't see how it is enforceable. 

No, but they definitely count them and make sure its not over the count allowed. 

4 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

In the MN state law it notes that the number of persons allowed on a boat is equal or less than what is shown on the plaque.

No, but they definitely count them and make sure its not over the count allowed. 

I guess that means that MB's are illegal to own in MN... no plaque

Guys--you are correct @shawndoggy that USCG law for capacity plates requires them only for boats under 20 feet in length. However I saw this on the discoverboating site and found it interesting. They say if a boat up to 26 feet was built with a capacity plate (NMMA members or whatever), it must be followed by law even though the plate does not have 'USCG' on the capacity section. Disclaimer--I have not searched long enough to find this written as law, but I'd hate to try and fight it if I had a plate:

"A capacity plate tells you how many people you can safely have on board a boat and how much weight it can safely carry. Effective August 1, 1973
all monohull boats less than 20 ft. long (except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats) must carry a plate posting the Maximum Weight Capacity, Maximum Persons Capacity and Maximum Horsepower Ratings. 

Capacity plates can be found near the helm; they are yellow with a silver/gray background. Boats that are less than 20 ft. long have capacity plates labeled "U.S. Coast Guard Maximum Capacities". Boats up to 26 ft. long carry just the "Maximum Capacities" wording. Boaters are required by law to obey the safe loading capacities posted on these plates." 

My 20'6" ELX did not come with a plate, and I will not be sourcing one. Max capacity in the TMC resource section is 8 persons, and I haven't ever and will never plan a trip with that many on board. I have idled a group of kids ~100 yards at an event, and it may happen again in the future. Would suck to get pinched for that. 

Edited by jk13

I sure wouldn't want any lines to change on the boat. If they are going to refresh, make it cosmetic and interior innovation and improved driver experience. More user features and trailer upgrade and features. Maybe integrate a transom camera that transmits to tow vehicle for backing purposes. Stuff like that.

Steve B.

58 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I sure wouldn't want any lines to change on the boat. If they are going to refresh, make it cosmetic and interior innovation and improved driver experience. More user features and trailer upgrade and features. Maybe integrate a transom camera that transmits to tow vehicle for backing purposes. Stuff like that.

Steve B.

the camera thing is of interest except i'm not sure how it would work as you would have to get power from the truck/trailer into the boat/camera so there would have to be some kind of plug or connector on the outside of the boat which i think would be problematic in ways.. and you would have to remember to disconnect it... otherwise it would have to run off the boat battery and that would drain it. I think the better bet would be to integrate a camera directly into the trailer so its powered by the turck/trailer... it wouldnt be as nice of viewing angle but seems easier.. or better yet something that holds the camera to the trailer and you can remove it from the holder and clip it on the swim platform and remove easily. 

So, can I take the NMMA placard off my boat?  I'm not a fan of stickers, I mean appliqués, and have removed pretty much all of them but left the capacity stickers in the helm. I did leave the capacity stickers in the lockers too but that's only because it makes me laugh that they say not to put more than 75 pounds in them. 

• Like 2
On 1/25/2017 at 1:26 AM, IXFE said:

Here's my guess / wishes...

new 23 changes will be evolutionary, not revolutionary: 

* new side hull design & swoosh like the 25 / 22. 

* two inch higher freeboard like the 25

* rear facing bench option.

* maybe 17" prop / 2:1 tranny

* maybe allow two colors on the side like 25

that's all I got... 

i certainly hope they don't force the walk thru on the 23. I don't think it needs the L shaped tanks either. Unlike most here, I'm not gaga over the new MXZ tanks. And I would count on any new dash or stereo stuff. Malibu already has the best here and I'm sure they wanna milk that R&D investment for several more years. 

thought the 23 was getting or did gt a 2:1 and 17" prop in 2017?