Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

Here's a random '18 23 LSV question for all of you since my "google-fu" is failing me today: does anyone know the name of the type of hinge used for the seat cushions seen at 2:02 - 2:05 in the walk-through video https://vimeo.com/222276708

Chris calls it an "over the top" hinge, but that doesn't get me anything similar in my search. I'm looking for a hinge like this for a project in my '15, and it's not to replace the hinges on my seat cushions. Yet...

8 minutes ago, mikeo said:

Here's a random '18 23 LSV question for all of you since my "google-fu" is failing me today: does anyone know the name of the type of hinge used for the seat cushions seen at 2:02 - 2:05 in the walk-through video https://vimeo.com/222276708

Chris calls it an "over the top" hinge, but that doesn't get me anything similar in my search. I'm looking for a hinge like this for a project in my '15, and it's not to replace the hinges on my seat cushions. Yet...

I can tell you it's the same hinge as the nautique g uses. 

43 minutes ago, mikeo said:

In cabinets its called a Full Overlay hinge.  I've never heard of an "over the top" hinge although if you lay a cabinet on its back .. a full overlay would do the same thing.

9 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

For those who have been in a 2018. Did you notice the vinyl was different? I was told they were changing. 

I wouldn't be able to tell you from my experience. But I do remember the dealer saying it was the same new stuff as before. 

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

In cabinets its called a Full Overlay hinge.  I've never heard of an "over the top" hinge although if you lay a cabinet on its back .. a full overlay would do the same thing.

Thats definitely not a cabinet full overlay hinge, but yes, same idea

1 minute ago, Fffrank said:

Looks right. 

16 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

In the end displacement is what creates a wave. That is why surf boats are gaining weight so rapidly. The shape of the hull can have a small impact but it's down in the noise compared to weight.

the hull has a small effect?  That's like saying because you put a tower on a Yamaha jet it's a true wakeboard boat.  If that was the case, there shouldn't be much difference in wake or wave between a Malibu and an eliminator that weigh the same.  5000lbs is 5000 lbs right?

I don't think many would argue the hull change made a big improvement in the MXZ line.  Like it or not, hull is a huge factor.  I'm not saying Malibu is the best, But you can't say the boat with "the most weight" makes the best wake or wave

• Like 2
9 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

the hull has a small effect?  That's like saying because you put a tower on a Yamaha jet it's a true wakeboard boat.  If that was the case, there shouldn't be much difference in wake or wave between a Malibu and an eliminator that weigh the same.  5000lbs is 5000 lbs right?

I don't think many would argue the hull change made a big improvement in the MXZ line.  Like it or not, hull is a huge factor.  I'm not saying Malibu is the best, But you can't say the boat with "the most weight" makes the best wake or wave

It's simply physics. To displace water (create a wave) you need weight. Hull design can change the shape of the wake but in the end to displace water you need displacement. The biggest change from the 2016 MXZ22 to the 2017 was weight. More empty weight, more ballast and I believe a bigger wedge. The wedge acts as additional displacement. Not considering the wedge, just boat and factory ballast the 2017 MXZ is 20% heavier than the 2016 and earlier model.

Edited by Sailvi767

Can I only upload one photo at a time? This is crazy, I have tons of photos from Inland Boat Company's new 23 and other boats that I would like to share. 

Photo Jul 25, 11 41 15 AM.jpg

• Like 2

Still have the useless walk way speakers I see. When will they learn that you can't hear these and the staging is terrible for the driver. You know the  one spending the 100k

On 7/26/2017 at 4:41 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

Others aren't using "the wedge" because Malibu hold the patent right?

And I disagree that isn't still ideal for surfing. I just spent the last week surfing the M235, mxz 22 and 23 LSV (2017's) and all of them greatly benefited from wedge settings. You could easily adjust from a longer mellow wave to a shorter steep wave with the wedge.

I didn't try any of them without wedge though. My guess is if you like a longer wave, not using the wedge will still be good for you. 

Thank you.. I have been saying this over and over when others say they need the surfgate to be adjustable. I like no wedge when I skim..

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Thank you.. I have been saying this over and over when others say they need the surfgate to be adjustable. I like no wedge when I skim..

I have too. Idk maybe we do need SG to be adjustable but I also have to imagine Malibu has tried this and there is a reason why it isn't. :dontknow: 

55 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I have too. Idk maybe we do need SG to be adjustable but I also have to imagine Malibu has tried this and there is a reason why it isn't. :dontknow: 

Malibu found the best position for the best wave & gives it to you every time.  No need to try dialing in with all the other "less than best" positions.  Wedge adjustability will handle the rest.

This helps save you time & maximize ride time, similar to other theories of turbo fast ballast fill & drain times.

Edited by Dan Lee
  • Like 4
ahopkins22LSV
52 minutes ago, Dan Lee said:

Malibu found the best position for the best wave & gives it to you every time.  No need to try dialing in with all the other "less than best" positions.  Wedge adjustability will handle the rest.

This helps save you time & maximize ride time, similar to other theories of turbo fast ballast fill & drain times.

I agree and have said the same thing on here multiple times. I forget what thread was most recent. Maybe I/we have blinders but I feel like it would be a very easy thing to trial in the search for making the best surf wave. So that's why I feel they have tried and there is a reason it's a fixed position.

• Like 3