Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 23 LSV

WakeSwagger

3 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

In all seriousness, the new body style is really growing on me.  That mint flake looks really nice actually

Not sure on that super deep storage.  I would need to test it for a day to see but it could be really really cool

The step pads on the sunpad are just ridiculous.  I would check if I could order one without them.  They won't exist in 2019. 

I wonder how it will feel sitting in the middle back seat with a thin pair of board shorts on. I can only imagine you would feel it. 

12 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

You would make a PERFECT Detroit Lions fan

:lol: I don't follow football at all so that may not work. I don't even follow the Cowboys and I'm not far from Dallas. But, I would think that most team's fans would follow their teams blindly through thick or thin. Most aren't fair weather fans.

• Like 2

My biggest complain about my 2014 was having to fill bow ballast. If that problem is solved(I doubt it is), I'd consider one. Leaning heavily to a Centurion. We only surf, and we get some wind here in Kansas so the ride in a Centurion should be much better. 

7 minutes ago, mrnate450r said:

My biggest complain about my 2014 was having to fill bow ballast. If that problem is solved(I doubt it is), I'd consider one. Leaning heavily to a Centurion. We only surf, and we get some wind here in Kansas so the ride in a Centurion should be much better. 

Plumbing in the bag on ours makes that super easy now to fill. Granted, we lose the bow but if we have folks out that want to sit up there, we don't typically need the extra bow weight then. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Plumbing in the bag on ours makes that super easy now to fill. Granted, we lose the bow but if we have folks out that want to sit up there, we don't typically need the extra bow weight then. 

Agreed. The switch isn't just about bow ballast. But I'll save that for another conversation. 

As the owner of a 2014 23 LSV I can't help but be a little suspicious that Malibu is repeating the same new model roll out strategy. That being, they change the hull in the first year and 2019 will bring the 2019 equivalents of power wedge II, new dash, etc. that the 2015 boats got. Maybe 2019 brings another dash upgrade, adjustable surfgates (Surfgate II) and a few other meaningful upgrades.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

As the owner of a 2014 23 LSV I can't help but be a little suspicious that Malibu is repeating the same new model roll out strategy. That being, they change the hull in the first year and 2019 will bring the 2019 equivalents of power wedge II, new dash, etc. that the 2015 boats got. Maybe 2019 brings another dash upgrade, adjustable surfgates (Surfgate II) and a few other meaningful upgrades.

You took the words out of my mouth. The same thing happened in 2010-2011. New hull in 2010, then Malibu upgraded the dash in 2011. We know for sure that the motors will be new next year and I suspect that’s not the only change. History repeats itself and I’m excited to see what’s in store...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wheelman said:

I believe it's the wedge that makes the bow weight necessary. The wedge pullls the very back of the boat down and at such an angle that the only way to bring the bow down is with a lot of weight up there. 

I know this will be viewed as crazy talk but I accidentally ran my 25 LSV with no wedge and I was amazed what happened.  Almost stopped and started over until I saw the wave developing.  With wedge I run 11-11.4 and 1-3 clicks from lift.  No wedge I was 10.6-11 and honestly there was little difference (less speed for short and steep and more for distance and flat).  But the boat was thanking me.

My bags will consume the entire locker so I am experimenting with no wedge and just using different balllast weights and speeds with no wedge now.  I will loose out on quick adjustments but it seems to cut out even more on bow rise & RPMs to overcome the wedge.

I am on the fence now about just running half full and wedge and near full and no wedge.  In theory they both end up basically the same.  Maybe the new 23 shares a similar running surface.  Not saying it's for everyone but it's another interesting discovery for me.  That would have not case for me on my last 23 LSV (no wedge).

I know the wedge has been Malibu's thing but I wonder if the focus on surf and more weight in the new models has started to overcome the need for the wedge for surfing with Surf Gate.

Edited by store934

If I can figure out how to upload some photos tomorrow I have some SWEET photos of the new brown metal flake on my phone. Stay posted, if there is interest I can do a walk through and look at more details - although it looks like the walk through video covers the majority. The new extended bimini makes a huge difference!

40 minutes ago, store934 said:

I know this will be viewed as crazy talk but I accidentally ran my 25 LSV with no wedge and I was amazed what happened.  Almost stopped and started over until I saw the wave developing.  With wedge I run 11-11.4 and 1-3 clicks from lift.  No wedge I was 10.6-11 and honestly there was little difference (less speed for short and steep and more for distance and flat).  But the boat was thanking me.

My bags will consume the entire locker so I am experimenting with no wedge and just using different balllast weights and speeds with no wedge now.  I will loose out on quick adjustments but it seems to cut out even more on bow rise & RPMs to overcome the wedge.

I am on the fence now about just running half full and wedge and near full and no wedge.  In theory they both end up basically the same.  Maybe the new 23 shares a similar running surface.  Not saying it's for everyone but it's another interesting discovery for me.  That would have not case for me on my last 23 LSV (no wedge).

I know the wedge has been Malibu's thing but I wonder if the focus on surf and more weight in the new models has started to overcome the need for the wedge for surfing with Surf Gate.

On all my malibus i have owned I have reluctantly always had to use the wedge. My 15 just lacked the push on the regular side without the wedge. I loved what the wedge did for my wake and wave however  I just hated the way it made it drive. It's like dragging a 1500lb anchor behind you. It drove so nice with it up and no bow rise and the motor worked half as hard. I wonder if the wedge is really the best design for a wake wave maker, shaper

1 hour ago, AndySC said:

If I can figure out how to upload some photos tomorrow I have some SWEET photos of the new brown metal flake on my phone. Stay posted, if there is interest I can do a walk through and look at more details - although it looks like the walk through video covers the majority. The new extended bimini makes a huge difference!

Create a Instagram account just for this page and copy in the links. Now that photo bucket doesn't work it's definitely the easiest way. 

1 hour ago, LS1boarder said:

Has there been pricing information released yet? Has the base price of the boat increased? 

Have you ever seen a boat that didn't increase year after year 

8 hours ago, wheelman said:

I wonder how it will feel sitting in the middle back seat with a thin pair of board shorts on. I can only imagine you would feel it. 

I bet this will be a popular test come boat show season.

I'll be at the plant in mid-Aug.  I wonder if they would give me a quick demo.  I've only bought 1 Malibu, so my history as a customer is limited, but I'm definitely starting to consider an upgrade.

8 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

According to Malibu 2019 will bring the new GM DI engines. Hopefully with that change they will allow for a bigger prop. 5250 lbs is a lot to push with a 15 inch when you add ballast weight. The boat will weigh exactly the same as the 24 MXZ with factory ballast which already gets the 17. 

The one issue that will come up is the boat is now well out of the towing range of most SUV's and smaller pickups. All up towing weight is going to be near 8000lbs. 

• Like 2

Aside from the price delta, the weight was one thing that deterred us from looking at a G23 harder.  It was one thing to upgrade boats, but to factor in an upgrade to the truck and lift and the G quickly got ruled out. If the LSV keeps growing, it may defer our next upgrade until we have also replaced the beloved Ecoboost we have :)

32 minutes ago, DAI said:

I'll be at the plant in mid-Aug.  I wonder if they would give me a quick demo.  I've only bought 1 Malibu, so my history as a customer is limited, but I'm definitely starting to consider an upgrade.

You are better off just talking to your dealer. That's what they are for. The factory seems like an odd place to demo. 

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
50 minutes ago, DAI said:

17 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

You are better off just talking to your dealer. That's what they are for. The factory seems like an odd place to demo. 

The plant is a fine place to demo. @DAI your dealer can setup a demo with your sales rep. I just did this. 

I was able to see the LSV at the plant when I was there and it is an awesome looking boat in person. I think it will continue to be the best selling wake boat with no issues. Didn't demo it though, they drew the line there. :)

• Like 2

If I were looking at an LSV, this would all be a nice upgrade.  About damn time they put wakeview seat in.  Would be AWESOME to be able to throw all the boards hidden away when not riding or when sitting on a lift, that or a great spot to fill with the orange lift jackets.  Also loving the idea of being able to monitor the PNP.  I wakeboard more than I surf and dont need that kind of weight when I ride, would be even nicer if you could electronically not fill the PNP at all.  Guess youd need a few more switches to do that.