Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on 2017 Ronix Koal Technora Thruster 2 Surfboard

CharlieBeaU

Last year was my first full year wakesurfing. I've been ocean surfing most of my life so starting out I followed my ocean experience and went with a "long board" for ease of getting up and stability. The board I have is the Slingshot Ankle Biter (Pic below). After a year of surfing this board I'm ready to move into something more maneuverable and more similar to the short boards I ride in the ocean. At the Portland boat show I talked to my local dealer and they recommended the new Ronix Koal Technora Thruster 2 (pictured below the Slingshot). They talked to me a lot about my ocean and wake surfing styles and talked through a few different boards characteristics before finally making this recommendation. I wanted to see what TMC thought and if there were any other boards in this price range you guys thought I should check out.

slingshot-anklebiter-wakesurfer-15-zoom.

QsQoagX8qNkby4EOgmV8avMKwvhll1nn-1_10.jp

13 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

This is just my opinion....I have owned Hyperlite, Ronix, CWB and Liquid Force wakesurf boards, but now we own Phase5 boards and we all just love them. I ride the Race and the Danielo Diamond while my son rides the Model X. I have also ridden the Wire and the Diamond. To me and my son, Phase5 boards are the easiest and fastest boards we have ever ridden. After owning the previous brands mentioned above, I got on a Phase5 board and I couldn't believe how much my surfing improved...I actually started to enjoy surfing and it didn't take me long to get used to riding it.  You can't go wrong with Phase5 boards.

Very cool. Thanks. I'll check them out.

100% agree with the comments made about Phase 5 boards.  I currently ride a model X and absolutely love it. I have ridden many other ronix, byelry, and CWB boards and none of them come close to my phase 5. I bought my daughters the phase 5 scamp and it has really made their surfing experience much better.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Thanks! Sounds like the Model X, Race and Danielo Diamond are the Phase 5s to look at.

Also, we went out on a friends Malibu and he had a new 2016 Ronix board very similar to the one above. We brought our Phase5 boards, and it was pretty unanimous that the Phase5 boards (Danielo Diamond and Model-X) were superior. He didn't listen to me before he bought his Ronix.

• Like 1

So, I spoke to @shawndoggy and he gave me great advice (as usual). He encouraged me to talk to Jeff at Soulcraft. Jeff was awesome and spent a ton of time understanding my capabilities, goals, body size, boat, wave size, etc. Jeff initially pointed me to the HC Pro, JS Pro and Super AV. After talking a little more about each board Jeff and I narrowed it down the the HC Pro. Jeff also recommended a local shop here in Portland that had the HC Pro in stock in my size (4'7"), Northwest Boat Sports. Pat at NWBS verified they had it in stock and gave me a great deal on it. I also picked up one of the new Soulcraft board bags. Here are the pics. I've got my new board and my new dry suit. Now I just need the freezing weather to be gone for good and the boats getting unpacked. 

0125170912.jpg

0125170934.jpg

0125170936.jpg

0125170936a.jpg

Nice purchase! I'm probably going to see Pat and Brian tonight at the Auto Show preview night.

I'm in a bit of the same dilemma myself since last season was really my first year surfing, on a CWB Tsunami, and I'm looking for a surf style board to step up to this year. I'm hesitant to make the Soulcraft leap, thinking it may be too much board for me to really advance quickly on, but everyone seems to end up there as time goes by.

I don't have the ocean surfing background either, which you have but did Jeff say anything about his boards for "advanced" beginners?

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

Nice purchase! I'm probably going to see Pat and Brian tonight at the Auto Show preview night.

I'm in a bit of the same dilemma myself since last season was really my first year surfing, on a CWB Tsunami, and I'm looking for a surf style board to step up to this year. I'm hesitant to make the Soulcraft leap, thinking it may be too much board for me to really advance quickly on, but everyone seems to end up there as time goes by.

I don't have the ocean surfing background either, which you have but did Jeff say anything about his boards for "advanced" beginners?

Jeff actually was saying just the opposite. He described to me that many of his boards are very stable and forgiving allowing you to quickly recover from mistakes/bobbles because the boards pick up speed so easily. He also said this really lets you work the entire wake from way back in the pocket all the way forward. Of course, number of fins and placement will have a big effect on this as well.

Pat at NWBS seems to really know the boards and he still has them marked down at his boat show prices which isn't far off what you'd spend on Ronix, Phase 5, etc. I filled out the little form on Soulcraft's website and Jeff got back to me with in a couple hours but I'll just PM you his email address too.