Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sky rat deterrent

prion

Three of these http://gullsweep.myshopify.com/ spaced down the centre of the canopy.  I added some thin steel plates to the frame at the mount points and attached the sweeps to some good sized rare earth magnets.  The magnet holds against the steel plate with the canopy covering sandwiched in between.  Works perfectly to keep the gulls off the canopy.  I will admit about once a year the wind picks up enough that I need to go look for the sweeps in the lake but they never land far from the hoist.

• 4 years later...

They are much more difficult to fight than ordinary animals. When I lived near the sea, they always flew to my veranda and did not fly away until I came and frightened them. It was much easier to get rid of the rats than it was to get rid of the gulls. My friend, once had rats in his house. He immediately called a professional wildlife removal service. They found many ratholes in his yard. This service saved my friend from the rats. But how to get rid of the gulls I have no idea except to shoot them.

Edited by Shamshel

If you have a water hose near there is an easy way with motion activated sprinkler. I use one in my yard to keep geese from coming up on shore and filling the yard with their nasty waste

11 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

motion activated sprinkler.

Be honest. What percentage of the fun with this installation has been with new visitors walking towards the boat?

I'd bet that it's been quite a high number. 

2 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Be honest. What percentage of the fun with this installation has been with new visitors walking towards the boat?

I'd bet that it's been quite a high number. 

It makes for a lot of fun people walking from house to the dock! They walk past and forget haha. Kids also have fun seeing how fast they can be to dodge

I'm actually working on a more sophisticated unit with RF deactivation programmable time controller, & pump for using lake water or freshwater tank if u don't want to use lake water or if on saltwater this way u don't need a garden hose to wherever that's always on etc.. fun little project I'll see if it works this summer! Ha

On 1/21/2017 at 8:28 AM, minnmarker said:

Monofilament fishing line crisscrossed above whatever you want to protect. After a few of them hit it they avoid.

This works well, and for pelicans too.